Ramsey Cascades Trail

Ramsey Cascades Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fly fishing and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,224 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a great hike with lots of good scenery. The trail is an out-and-back type trail with the route to Ramsey Cascades all up hill. It's a gradual climb that only gets remotely steep the last mile or so approaching the Cascades. The first 1.5 miles follow an abandoned logging route. The trail then becomes a typical Smokey Mountain hiking trail that is only wide enough for one person. The last mile or so becomes more steep and is also very rocky. Caution should be taken especially on the way back down. Once reaching the Cascades, you will want to cross over the shallow pool at the bottom to reach a rock ledge on the other side to get in position for some good pictures of the Cascades.

The first part of the trail is pretty easy going, even though you are constantly ascending. The trail is wide and most of it is gravel. When you reach 1.5 miles though, everything changes. The elevation change is dramatic and you are in a constant climb. The path has a lot of roots and is also very rocky. Good hiking shoes or boots are recommended because there are many places to twist an ankle.The falls at the top are worth the hard climb up!

My wife and I hiked this trail in September 2019. Beautiful trail with lots of rocks and tree roots so be careful. Being from the Midwest and used to flatland trails this was difficult for us.. it today took us 3.5 hours to hike each way.. we took our time to stop to rest and took pictures. This hike was definitely worth it.

This trail is challenging and strenuous but the reward is the beautiful cascading waterfall at the end. It took my wife and I approx. 1hr and 45 minutes up and 1 hr and 20 minutes down. Definitely will recommend it to our friends.

We had a great hike. Very steep elevation just before the water fall. Well worth it.

Almost completely empty trail in September- started the hike about 3pm, and were told that it took 6 hours to complete so we brought lights and got ready to hike a bit in the dark, just in case. Including time spent lounging at the waterfall, this hike took right about 5 hours at our best pace. This is a beautiful shaded trail with old growth trees, creek views and a few places to get in and splash and even at low flow the falls are gorgeous. But definitely be prepared for a climb- the trail is steep and the end is steep and rocky.

Great trail, rocky and steep the last mile & half. Took us 3 hrs to get to the top, was so worth it. Caution the way down (especially if you have bad knees).

Very strenuous hike!! Steep all the way up to the waterfall. But the falls are gorgeous!

The trail is challenging but worth the effort. Walking poles are useful but not necessary. There are steep areas with roots and rocks to maneuver, but they are manageable. The waterfall at the top is dynamite.

My 1st Hike ever, and with my Son. Started at 4:30 pm...finished at 9:14 pm...WOW. What an experience... At 57, I realized how tough and rewarding the “hiking experience” truly offers. I’m hooked!

The road coming in is full of potholes so be careful. The hike up is tough, full of tree roots and loose rock. The wooden bridges are very pretty with the weather flowing underneath. The falls are absolutely amazing! Would 10/10 recommend this hike! I do not hike and I feel like I handled this trail very well. Not saying it was easy but it was worth it!

I would definitely rate this as moderate, rather than difficult. most of the way up is a pretty mild incline. it's shady and cooler, and very pretty. when my partner and I got too hot, we sat by the river and the water cooled up right down! the falls themselves are nice--i would say nothing on this trail was mind blowing, but it was peaceful and pretty the whole time.

If you are not a fan of log bridges with a railing on only one side do not do this hike! The 2 log bridges are high above the rocky stream. The second is longer and narrower than the first. It’s easy to lose the trail when crossing the stream on rocks. As mentioned, the road in is full of potholes. The falls are worth it though.

Great trail, though you can't take your eyes off your feet much. There are loose rocks and tree roots everywhere. You'll want good ankle support. Be on the lookout for salamanders, yellow jackets, and plenty of gnats.

My daughter and I hiked this trail on 8/8/19. WOW what a great experience! I am 55 and and she is 19 and we are both physically fit. Got to the top in about 2 hrs 15 min without pushing it too hard. Physically challenging in spots but the payoff at the top is definitely worth the effort. Came within 3 feet of a rattlesnake on the lower part so be aware of your surroundings. He gave us a much needed warning as we were casually conversing! Overall a great hike that I plan on doing again.

The trail to the waterfalls was a lot longer than expected. It was amazing when we made it.

Awesome trail well worth the climb! Getting there is a little difficult because the gravel road has lots of pot holes, but if you go slow you will be fine! New favorite hike of our trip. You get to hike along the river/rapids almost the whole way - get ready to climb up some wet rocks to the cascades!!

Hiked this trail on a Saturday and we only encountered a handful of people. We started our hike at 8:20 am and arrived at the falls around 10:40 am. The 1st 1 1/2 miles are easy, then the terrain changes from gravel to roots and rocks. Good hiking shoes is a must on this trail. The last half mile of the trail gets steep and has large boulders to traverse. There are no markers on the trail, but the trail is easy to follow because of the foot path. A few places the trail splits and you wonder which path to take, but the path always merges back into 1. The falls are the best in the Smokies! It’s totally worth the trek up. Caution: the rocks on the trail get slippery. The trail also follows the water all the way to the falls. Plenty of opportunities to filter water, so no excuses for dehydration. Hiked this with my husband and 2 kids (18 & 12).

Beautiful trail. The first 1.5 mile is VERY easy. Then it gets a little harder and steeper: lots of roots and slippery rocks. The last 0.5 miles hard but nothing prohibitive or particularly challenging. The falls are gorgeous. We got hit by torrential rain on our way back which made everything a little more exciting and challenging. On my way back I was attacked by some yellow jackets and stung in my butt: not fun. Needless to say, there HAD to be the usual idiot hiking in sandals: all you need is a twisted ankle or a broken toe (very much a possibility on this trail) and you will put yourself and your party in serious trouble and distress. I would definitely not recommend sandals. Good protective boots, with a good grip are essential in my opinion.

Best waterfall I’ve ever seen on a hike.

hard hike but definitely worth it. saw kids on the trail but be careful, there are a lot of steep sections and loose rocks when you get close to the falls. last mile is very steep. bring lots of water and electrolytes.