Ramsay Cascades Trail

Ramsay Cascades Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

fly fishing

old growth

closed

This is a great hike with lots of good scenery. The trail is an out-and-back type trail with the route to Ramsey Cascades all up hill. It's a gradual climb that only gets remotely steep the last mile or so approaching the Cascades. The first 1.5 miles follow an abandoned logging route. The trail then becomes a typical Smoky Mountain hiking trail that is only wide enough for one person. The last mile or so becomes more steep and is also very rocky. Caution should be taken especially on the way back down. Once reaching the Cascades, you will want to cross over the shallow pool at the bottom to reach a rock ledge on the other side to get in position for some good pictures of the Cascades.

Difficult but amazing hike. The view of the waterfall at the top was well worth the difficult climb. First 1.5 mile was all gradual uphill, so not very difficult, but the last mile was very strenuous. Lots of climbing over rocks and roots, a little bit of water on the trail. It was all beautiful! Saw a mama bear with her two cubs about a mile into the hike, just 15 feet off the trail.

Fairly strenuous trail that follows a very scenic creek. I have seen most of the top rated waterfalls/cascades in the park and I would say this is the best. Unlike the other waterfalls, I thought the trail itself was very enjoyable and not just the waterfall.

Amazing scenery and gorgeous river views throughout the hike. Very slippy and rugged terrain! Would recommend for fit individuals. Bring food and water because the four miles to the waterfall are very strenuous.

The first part of the trail isn't bad. After you hit the 2.5 mile sign be prepared. Pack snacks and water and wear good hiking clothes/shoes! The falls are stunning and well worth it. You will definitely earn the gorgeous sight!

This is probably my favorite waterfall hike in the Smokies so far. It's definitely a workout- especially the last half mile or so. Very rocky and lots of roots, but 100% worth it! The forest is huge, wild, and absolutely pristine.

It was very empty when we went, with only 2 other people at the falls when we made it up. Next time I do this hike in summer, I'll probably wear a swimsuit under my hiking clothes, because the pool at the bottom of the falls is shallow and perfect for cooling off after you bust your butt hiking up there! You can even stand right under the falls. We just waded in this time so as not to be soaked on the way down.

Can't wait to do this hike again when I come back in November!

It was hard for the last part but the best once we reach the top

A good workout for sure, and great views all along the way. One of my favorite trails, but certainly not for beginners!

Great hike but quite a challenge. Roots are the toughest part and the drive in was a bit strange at 6 am as it is a narrow gravel road. Amazing view, well worth it.

A wonderful, yet deceiving 4 miles up. the rocks and roots make this climb difficult. As the rocks get slippery, it becomes more difficult. The last mile up is steep, but the waterfall is very beautiful and makes the trek worth it.

good waterfall hike

Beautiful trail. We had hiked Mt Leconte last month. So I thought 8 miles no problems. Well that 8 miles felt like 10.lol. The last mile or so is very steep with large boulders and many tree roots. Many rock hopping creek crossing too. So worth it though. Beautiful trail and waterfall. The. Rhododendrons were beautiful the day we went.

We only had half a day to hike while we were driving though, and this one was recommended by one of the park rangers. After driving though Gatlinburg, and then to the main visitors center, I was really turned off by the crowds, so my criteria, along with being really scenic, was for a trail that wouldn't be too crowded. That usually means a little more challenging hike, and that was the case. I would rate it as Moderate/Strenuous. Moderate for the first half going up, and strenuous for the second half. We got there after some rain, so I'm not sure if the trail is always as wet and muddy, but that made it more challenging than if it was dry, especially coming back down. The last half mile in particular was a workout. Probably 700-800 feet of elevation gain on wet rocks and tree roots. Overall it was a great hike. It took us a little over 5 hours, but we like to stop a lot and take pictures. It could probably be done in 4 hours if you're pushing the pace and are in really good shape. But this hike really needs to be enjoyed, so I would allow for more time. Tons of great photo opportunities. The 2 largest trees in the entire park according to the ranger. You'll know them when you see them. They're about half way up. We started from the parking area around 2 pm. The lot was full when we got there, but a lot of those cars were people that were just checking out the river near the bottom of the trail. On our way up we only had about a dozen or so groups pass on on their way back down, so it wasn't very crowded at all. Turns out we were the next to last group going up, so when we got to the falls, we had it all to ourselves. It was well worth the hike. I highly recommend it.