Ramsay Cascades Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fly fishing and is accessible year-round.

old growth

This is a great hike with lots of good scenery. The trail is an out-and-back type trail with the route to Ramsey Cascades all up hill. It's a gradual climb that only gets remotely steep the last mile or so approaching the Cascades. The first 1.5 miles follow an abandoned logging route. The trail then becomes a typical Smoky Mountain hiking trail that is only wide enough for one person. The last mile or so becomes more steep and is also very rocky. Caution should be taken especially on the way back down. Once reaching the Cascades, you will want to cross over the shallow pool at the bottom to reach a rock ledge on the other side to get in position for some good pictures of the Cascades.

This trail kicked our butts. it was 3 hours of strenuous uphill climbing, then 2 hours of going back down. However, the falls were gorgeous!! It was actually cold up there and we cooled off quickly. Take LOTS of water if you do this trail.

Hiking/walking sticks make your life easier for this hike.... slick at the top.

My best hike ever!

spectacular waterfall. worth the climb up. pretty strenuous last 2 miles

Hardest hike done so far, but well worth it!

We had a great hike and gave our adult children all they wanted in a day hike. Beautiful scenery and amazing trails. Well worth the climb.

I Definitely felt accomplished after this. We even saw a black bear!

Absolutely spectacular. Definitely worth the climb. The drive up to trail head was a little adventure as the road has many holes and is not well kept.

This was an incredible hike. 8 Miles round trip. The most incredible view of a great ecosystem and God's creation. Waterfalls all the way up the canyon and then finally the big waterfall at the end of the trail. the first mile and a half is relatively easy. The second two and a half miles are difficult. it's a real workout going up but it is worth it.

Difficult but worth it

Beautiful trail! There are parts that are very steep, and difficult. One of the best trails I have ever done.

Before I write my review, I want to provide quick context. I am a 29 year old Male in good physical condition I hiked this trial with my 27 year old Fiancee' on our Labor Day weekend vacation.

This was such a great experience. Neither one of us are regular hikers and underestimated the word "Strenuous" . The Ramsey Cascade Trail is no joke, the 4 mile each way journey feels much more than that as the ground is often rocky and un even. Yes, you will be hiking mostly (85%) uphill for the first part of the hike.

There is something that happens about 3/4 through the first leg, you start to wonder "Are we there yet? as your legs and feet start feel the terrains effects. You will see other hikers on the way back offering encouraging words that it's worth it, and that you are almost there. The almost there part is funny because its true, but that last mile is probably the hardest part. It gets very steep and rocky right before you reach the falls.

It is a great experience once you do get there as you feel such a sense of accomplishment. Sitting there with your fellow hikers gives a nice sense of community. We enjoy the moment and rest before desending downward.

The downward journey is much easier by comparison, but still long. The scenery is beatuiful of course and the feeling of accomplishment when you reach the end is wonderful. I am still buzzing from it and excited for more challenging hikes like this.

Don't make the mistakes we did by not bringing any snacks! Also, a big thank you to the kind lady and group who provided us with ice cold water from their bag. Life Savers!

In Summary: Challenging, Beautiful, and Worth It. Remembers its the journey, not the destination

This trail seems more challenging than difficult. I've hiked a few times this year, but that's the longest trail I've hiked. The falls were rewarding to see.

The trail starts on a nice gravel path, you will encounter small bridges plush forest conditions.
We saw a couple of deer crossing the path toward the start of the trail.
The falls were awesome, you will need to remove your shoes to cross the water from the falls, they are not deep but can be slippery.
The last half is steep and most people says it is more like 10 miles round trip our app showed the same although the trail says 8 miles round trip.
I’ve been told it is one of the most difficult trials, I considered it hard and I hike a few times a year and run several times a week.
I would recommend this trail to anyone with some experience.

One of my favorites so far in the Smokies!!

This trail was amazing great scenery of the water and the mountains, the waterfalls at the end is worth the hike. The walking bridges that you crossing overlooking the water is great. You want be disappointment at all. I had lunch at the top then walked back down the 4 miles. A total of 8 miles that I really enjoyed. the weather was great it rained a little but with all my sweat i didn’t even notice.

Fantastic trail, one of the best in the park!

It is an amazing hike and worth he pain all the way up. Don’t be fooled, the map said 4 Miles so round trip 8. However, I clocked over 12
Miles. We went with my daughter 7 and she did great but was a struggle at parts. Gorgeous hike along the river for most of it with some fun bridges and river crossings. Go prepared with water and snacks!

The reward at the top is worth the pain!

Beautiful trail but not for the faint of heart!

Absolutely beautiful!

Lovely hike in the beautiful lush forest, with a waterfall at the end. My first "long" hike. Being from Florida I practiced for a long time on the uphill treadmill, and it worked, because it wasn't too hard or too steep for me, and I enjoyed it so much I have sought out vacations with beautiful day hikes ever since.

Absolutely gorgeous hike. My wife and I enjoyed being by the river, and the tighter spaces of rugged terrain this trail offered. Without a doubt worth the hike to see the cascade. A favorite for sure!! This was about 10 miles stepping distance due to the terrain, and was hard but doable.

Definitely a challenge and so worth it. Went out early in the morning and we were the only ones on the trail. It was beautiful and amazing up and down. Highly recommend!

A tough hike for sure but a very beautiful waterfall reward at the end! I recommend having a hiking stick. I didn’t have one and wished I did the whole time I was descending. I will mention that at the falls there are tons of bees. They appear to be common honey bees and not aggressive but they were everywhere. I had intended to sit at the falls and enjoy a snack but I literally had bees crawling all over me. One was crawling down my boot even. None stung me but if you are freaked out by bees or super allergic then be advised.

Definitely a challenge, howbeit a rewarding challenge. My wife and I completed it with our six children (6-15 years old) in 5 hrs and 23 mins. The last mile is the most difficult, where you must climb a 26 degree slope over rocks and boulders. The entire trail is gorgeous, with one-rail foot bridges, a talkative brook and waterfalls, some of the oldest and biggest trees I’ve seen in the GSMNP, and an absolutely stunning destination. As I departed down the first rocks leaving the falls, I turned back to see the main water framed on all four sides by the the forest...it was a truly surreal moment for me, and I’ve included a pic of it from my cellphone with this post. A great place to relax and meditate on the beauty in your life!

Wow this is a challanging trail for a new hiker who may be ummm slightly out of shape! This was my 12 or 13 hike. It is a little over four miles in and then back out the same way. I have to say that I am a fan of loops more than out and backs personally. This trail is also up hill the entire way. The ENTIRE way. LOL. it may be easier as sent said for the first mile and a half but it is still a graded incline. And an increase in elevation!! Waterfall at the end is the pay off :). Saw three baby bear run along side me on my way back out :) Beautiful wooded scenary, moss covered rocks and fallen wood. Pretty much a green tunnel the entire way (covered by tree leaves!)

My best friend Hoss and I went on this hike and it was great,raining a little but so green out and some of the biggest trees we have ever seen,just had a great time together!! It was easy and 8.6 miles,the waterfalls was beautifull!!!

Undoubtedly the most rugged trail I have ever trekked. Worth the while though!

Great hike following the creek most of the way. First mile and a half is pretty easy and takes you to a nice overlook of the water. The next 1+ mile gets a bit more rugged and elevation begins to increase. Several nice foot bridge crossings. The remainder of the trail will test you. A pretty steep climb and one slightly depressing section that seems to lead you away from the sound of rushing water. But the struggle is so worth it. Enjoy!