Ramsay Cascades Trail

Ramsay Cascades Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

fly fishing

old growth

closed

This is a great hike with lots of good scenery. The trail is an out-and-back type trail with the route to Ramsey Cascades all up hill. It's a gradual climb that only gets remotely steep the last mile or so approaching the Cascades. The first 1.5 miles follow an abandoned logging route. The trail then becomes a typical Smoky Mountain hiking trail that is only wide enough for one person. The last mile or so becomes more steep and is also very rocky. Caution should be taken especially on the way back down. Once reaching the Cascades, you will want to cross over the shallow pool at the bottom to reach a rock ledge on the other side to get in position for some good pictures of the Cascades.

Great hike but quite a challenge. Roots are the toughest part and the drive in was a bit strange at 6 am as it is a narrow gravel road. Amazing view, well worth it.

A wonderful, yet deceiving 4 miles up. the rocks and roots make this climb difficult. As the rocks get slippery, it becomes more difficult. The last mile up is steep, but the waterfall is very beautiful and makes the trek worth it.

good waterfall hike

Beautiful trail. We had hiked Mt Leconte last month. So I thought 8 miles no problems. Well that 8 miles felt like 10.lol. The last mile or so is very steep with large boulders and many tree roots. Many rock hopping creek crossing too. So worth it though. Beautiful trail and waterfall. The. Rhododendrons were beautiful the day we went.

We only had half a day to hike while we were driving though, and this one was recommended by one of the park rangers. After driving though Gatlinburg, and then to the main visitors center, I was really turned off by the crowds, so my criteria, along with being really scenic, was for a trail that wouldn't be too crowded. That usually means a little more challenging hike, and that was the case. I would rate it as Moderate/Strenuous. Moderate for the first half going up, and strenuous for the second half. We got there after some rain, so I'm not sure if the trail is always as wet and muddy, but that made it more challenging than if it was dry, especially coming back down. The last half mile in particular was a workout. Probably 700-800 feet of elevation gain on wet rocks and tree roots. Overall it was a great hike. It took us a little over 5 hours, but we like to stop a lot and take pictures. It could probably be done in 4 hours if you're pushing the pace and are in really good shape. But this hike really needs to be enjoyed, so I would allow for more time. Tons of great photo opportunities. The 2 largest trees in the entire park according to the ranger. You'll know them when you see them. They're about half way up. We started from the parking area around 2 pm. The lot was full when we got there, but a lot of those cars were people that were just checking out the river near the bottom of the trail. On our way up we only had about a dozen or so groups pass on on their way back down, so it wasn't very crowded at all. Turns out we were the next to last group going up, so when we got to the falls, we had it all to ourselves. It was well worth the hike. I highly recommend it.

Best hike I did in the Smokey Mountains and one of the best I've ever done! Had a black bear cross our path as he was going down to the water. The waterfall was spectacular and the trail was challenging enough to be rewarding and keep the crowds away.

A rare opportunity to hike for miles in a diverse old growth forest capped off with a stunning waterfall

this was a difficult hike but beautiful and we'll worth the effort

The trail is deceiving at first - nice wide space with a gradual rise and fall. Then the real fun begins! Narrow single track with a steep climb at the end BUT WELL WORTH THE EFFORT! Take lots of water and a hearty snack to enjoy at the top as you let the cool spray from the falls refresh you for the trip back down.

At first this trail was pretty easy but it gets difficult at the end. I'm in very good shape and didn't find it too much to handle but if you're not in shape, this one might be very challenging. The last 1-2 miles is very steep. The terrain gets more rocky as you go up and the rocks are very slippery if wet. But the cascades were beautiful. I'd go up early because there's not a ton of room for people by the cascades. We went on a mid Saturday afternoon and it wasn't bad at all in terms of crowd (maybe the difficulty doesn't attract some more touristy folks). The cascades are much bigger than you'd think and the water was super cold. Definitely not a place for little kids. Very nice day hike all in all.

First real hike, I am hooked! Great views good work out. The bears were cordial. Looking forward to exploring a few more trails. Right after we get back from the Rockies.