CT Possum Creek Trail

CT Possum Creek Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Flat Top Mountain, Tennessee that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1942 feet
Point to Point

Very nice trail, my wife and I did not have time to hike the full trail because of lack of time and other commitments. Lots of leaves on the trail some wet and slippery so use caution. The trail was well defined,however some of the blaze marking needs maintenance. Very nice views of the creek with the many small waterfalls. Had a great time hiking with my wife.

Great trail. Well marked and traveled. Plenty of water nearby. Beautiful rocks for climbing/rappelling. Easily found trailhead.

Nice trail, but not well blazed where you would it expect it most. Get a trail map online from the CT website. I'm 56 and not athletic, so I found the hill climbs difficult but doable. The rock steps were covered with leaves, uneven, and had some big step ups - but hey, at least it was natural. No one in camp - nice! Scenic with interesting rock formations. Easy water available. Should be on your must do trail list.

beautiful trail as is most of the CT. well maintained and the both campsites will accommodate a hammock or 4

My best friend and I did it today. It was a beautiful hike. We look forward to doing more of the CT.

Last week a couple of us did a through hike of Mowbray mountain to Sale Creek on the Cumberland trail. This is by far my favorite segment! I wish all trails would add the entire 34 mile segment into one map. This would be helpful to those of us who want to thru hike this segment.

Because I had a long drive I hiked in to the northern campsite, stayed there, then hiked to the waterfall and back out in the morning. I wish there were some sort of shuttle service to avoid the necessity of backtracking. I was solo and the park office assumed I would be part of a group with multiple cars. Portion of trail I did was not tough-- nothing as bad as the AT sections I did earlier this summer.

Some issues with trail markings at road crossings, and at the Retro-Huges road there is no indication of north/south at the trailhead, which would be helpful. I saw a blaze in the woods by the creek crossing (no bridge), where you are meant to follow the road, which was confusing. Also got confused about the trail at the concrete bridge, there is a T-junction and marking is nonexistent until you turn down the access road in the better maintained direction and eventually see a reflective marker indicating where you duck back into the woods. Definitely would love to see some better signage.

I was there on a Friday evening and had the northern campsite to myself. First time I've had a campsite truly to myself all year, wonderful!

Great hike, enjoyed a short weekend trip!

This trail had very little warmup time. Nice fall at the start, and then the up and down starts. Carb load before you start. I made it to the access road at 5.2 and got confused because I did no research. Alltrails map not entirely accurate. Look up trail info online before attempting whole trail. Gets confusing at road. Good place for filter, rather than taking water in. Part of the creek highly acidic due to strip mining. Again, research trail. Whole thing can be done in a day. I failed because I trusted app. Do not make same mistake.

Love this trail! One of the hardest in the area for how long and the steepness at time.

great trail!!!

a tough trail!!!!

Backpacked this trail one way with a bunch of friends on Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. Some nice hills and very nice water features. Of course the star attraction was Imodium Falls. Found a nice campsite near the only real un-bridged water crossing we had that fit all 12 of us quite nicely. Really liked the fact that we spent all of our short Sunday hike on pine needles.