Porters Creek Trail

Porters Creek Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Wooded hike along Porters Creek, old cemetery, historic farm site, waterfall The drive to the trailhead is nearly as nice as the hike. Once at the trailhead you will begin up a gradual incline along a wide gravel path. The trail is in a heavily wooded area, with Porters Creek on your left. This hike provides a cool respite on even the hottest of days. At about the 0.6 mile point, there is a series of rock walls and old building foundations from an old settlement. At the 0.75 mile point, is the old cemetery. Take the time to pay your respects to these early settlers. The gravel pathway continues to the 1.0 mile point, where a short spur trail leads to the Historic Farm Site. You will find John Messer's cantilevered barn built in 1875. Past the barn is the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club Cabin, built in 1934-36. The gravel path ends here. To continue on to the waterfall, take the left trail along Porters Creek. This well marked trail continues its gradual ascent for an additional 1 mile to the base of the waterfall.

Unable to go to Ramsay Gate as it was closed. So this was our close option to not waste the day. It was a lovely hike with many things to stop and explore along the way. Pleasant day all together, although the falls were virtually dry.

nice, easy hike to the falls. There was not a lot of water coming down when we went.

I love a hike beside a rushing river! It was a little rainy when we hiked but that was ok. We hiked to the old homestead which was neat to see how they lived back then. We went up to the cemetery and then on up to the waterfall. You can scramble up to the waterfall but watch your footing. We didn't go any farther up, but came back down from there.

Good hike to get acclimated to the Smokies- the second half has dense tree cover so views are harder to come by. Be warned though- about 2.5 miles past the trailhead, I came within a few inches of stepping on a timber rattlesnake, so watch out for them.

Good hike, although only went halfway to the falls. My three (almost four) year old had no trouble hiking to and from the old farmstead and cabin. Very scenic with many good spots to stop along the way.

Great kid friendly trail.

Large tree down @ cemetery ( 5/13/17)

That increases the difficulty of the trail. 1 kid & 2 ladies could not make the needed muddy scramble around it.

Hopefully they clear it soon.

Great trail, especially if you have kids with you. Cool spots to stop & play in the creek. Easy for any skill level.

I loved all the beautiful wild flowers and the aroma from them was intoxicating. Blooms were falling from the trees and I felt as if I was in a mystical land. I hiked to the end and was so glad I did. However the "easy" rating in my opinion is wrong. It really isn't suitable for small children with the steady incline and with roots and rocks sticking up from the ground it would make it difficult, One of my favorite hikes.

I was looking for a trail where I could see wildflowers in early April, and this trail did not disappoint. Loads of tiny ground wildflowers. Violets, trillium, trout lily, wild ginger, dutchman's breeches, squirrel corn... Like others mentioned, the best of the hike is up to the waterfalls. Beyond that was mostly just exercise.