Pioneer Trout Lily Trail is a 2.4 mile loop trail located near Morristown, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 232 feet Route Type: Loop

This park re-opened for day-use visitation between 7am and sunset on April 24, 2020. The public will have access to most trails, boat ramps, marinas, golf courses and other outdoor recreation opportunities. Park facilities and overnight accommodations will remain closed, as will playgrounds and other social gathering places. See here for more info: https://tnstateparks.com/about/covid-19-closures

I gave it 3 stars because the actual trail was lovely. There were a couple accesses to the rocks and water. Which was nice. My dog is happy and exhausted. It was beautiful and despite being 80F, there was plenty of shade. Pup was barely panting. I took 2 stars off because the trail was hard to follow. It was a loop, but we couldn’t find it. Don’t follow the red arrows. That’s not the trail. Not sure what it was, but it’s not the Trout Lily Trail. The Pioneer trail appears to be a separate trail. (?) We ended up getting a little lost and was no where near the trail. Ended up doing 8miles due to the massive back tracking. We would haven been ok with the extra miles (it was an easy trail and fun) if it weren’t for the TICKS. We have picked more than 100 ticks off the two humans and the dog. I think the tick nests were when we were off the real trail, but none the less, TICKS. lots of ticks. Ticks everywhere. Thankfully the pup is on oral tick meds. Not so easy to kill for the humans. So, pay attention to the signs, don’t follow the red arrows, bring human bug spray, and give your dog tick protection.

Like the trail except for all the tires showing... suppose to be floats I think, but when water is Down so Low as it is... it just looks like litter. I recommend doing just the pioneer trail. It’s a tad longer but more pristine. The Forrest here is very cool. To find pioneer trail grab a map from ranger station about .8 miles away!! It is crossed by the old farm house trail off of the troutLilly trail. Have fun!!

This is the first I’ve hiked this trail and it was simply beautiful. I can’t wait to hike it again in the spring/summer when the lake is up. There were a few trees down over the path, but was super easy to go around/over.

Overall an easy trail. Great views of the lake. Some small ups and downs but easy overall. From the boat ramp the small portion of the trail to the right when facing the lake is not part of the pioneer trout lily trail. Not necessary to do this portion or make sure you turn around and come back when it shows on the map.

Fri Apr 12 2019

Nice ridge line, down to lake edge loop. At times your around 300 feet above parts of trail and you can't see it because of the rock. :-)

Fri Mar 22 2019

Nice hike in Springtime for me. Trail was pretty easy. Temp when we hiked it was 55, perfect hiking weather. A nice wooden bridge to view and look around on. Parts of trail are lake accessible for enjoying the view of lake. I would recommend this hike. We're elderly and took our time on the trail.

Tue Aug 07 2018

Beautiful trail, good for dogs!!

Mon Jul 16 2018

A favorite with interesting rocks a couple of bridges and lake view

Sun Mar 18 2018

Nice trail with the dogs

Tue Jan 02 2018

Nice trail that's easier than others I've been on, just one rocky area. Good views of the lake.

Sun Oct 08 2017

one of my favorite trails at panther creek. good trail for kids as it isn't too difficult.

Mon Jun 19 2017

Probably my favorite trail in the park.

Tue Oct 25 2016

I will agree it is moderate but some places have some good obstacles like the rock section by the lake probably not to tough to hike but on a bike it's a different story but if you want a good challenge ride ore mine trail clockwise not for beginners

Wed Nov 18 2015

Best trail in Panther. I'd rate it moderate. Excellent lake views.

Sun Apr 20 2014

These 2 trails are definitely more on the moderate - difficult side. Trout Lilly has some nice lake views and bridge sections maintained by the park and local riders as well as some gnarly rocky stuff. Pioneer is basically a mean climb followed by a mean descent through some winding woods. Neither trails are particularly flowy but Panther Creek Park is well maintained and the overall experience is good.

Sun Jul 03 2011

THESE ARE ACTUALY 2 DIFRENT TRAILS EACH 2 MILES LONG. I WOULD SAY MODERATE SKILL LVL BUT BE ON YOUR TOES THERE ARE SOME SUPRISES THERE THAT WILL MAKE YOU CRINGE IF YOUR NOT RESPECTING THE TRAIL ON YOUR FIRST TIME OUT BY GOING TOO FAST.GREAT RIDE THOW HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE. :-)

recorded Recording - May 02, 4:41 PM