Pinnacle Mountain Fire Tower Trail

Pinnacle Mountain Fire Tower Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Unicoi, Tennessee that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a fairly new trail that is well maintained. The views from the tower are awesome. The trail traffic is heavy on weekends.

Well maintained trail. Lengthy but the climb is gradual, so it isn't too difficult. Views are great if you are willing to climb to the observation deck. It is nice, large deck. Had my lunch there.

Loved this trail. Easy hiking but is 9 miles so still a good workout. When you get to the top the view is amazing!

Be prepared for an uphill battle. Well maintained trail with beautiful views.

Great hike, kids loved going up the tower.

Great, well marked trail with a fantastic view at the end that is worth the climb. It is a climb, however. So, be prepared to relentlessly walk uphill for 4 to 4.5 miles. It's a pretty gradual climb with only a couple steep spots. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of the distance and that is a in and out trail, so once you hike it up, you have to hike it back the same way. Can be a little repetitive and boring, but again, the views to me are worth doing it at least once.

One of my favorites. Nice steady climb, and a fun decent back out. Beautiful views once you reach the tower.

made the entire trip took 5 hours but had to take several breaks its alot of steps for a 7 yrs old up the mountain and back next time were drivin to the gate lol the view is worth the hike trail head restrooms have always been clean on our visits

My husband and I attempted this trail today and only made it to the one mile marker and turned back. Why? We haven't hiked in months. Great trail with switchbacks but we are out of shape.

Trail. Park then proceed on gravel road that goes behind the small building from the parking lot. The parking lot accommodates about 6 cars but people were parking on the grass next to the main road. We ran into a guy running with his 2 dogs who weren't on leashes and one was 25 meters behind him. We found 3 piles of dog poo of which 1 pile was on the trail and the other 2 on the side of the trail. Please people put your dog on a leash and clean up their poop. Nice peaceful walk without a lot of people. We will go back.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Fantastic hike. I logged a little over 11 miles up and back and it took close to 5 hours. I went off the beaten trail a lot and looked at the wild orchids and many different Trillium species. If you really like wildflowers, this hike is for you!

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Great Trail well Maintained. Few areas had a good workout. If go up to top make sure to have layers. Went from 62 to 43 when I went on 2/17/17.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

difficulty rating should be easy, 1000ft-ish gain over 4 miles of a well maintained trail. Great for trail running or easy weekend afternoon hike.

Monday, November 07, 2016

The only "hard"part of this trail is the distance. The elevation was great and the path was an easy travel. great hike!

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Beautiful view! Trail is well marked and maintained

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Fairly easy terrain, just the length is the hard part. 9.1 ish miles. Great views from the top. Not crowded, except for a couple of bikers and runners.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Very pretty and dog friendly.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Very nice hike

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Great trail.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Very nice trail!!!! AMAZING VIEWS!!!!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

It is a really nice trail. We took our dog with us and she handled it very well. It has some gravel spots near the top so I highly recommend extremely good shoes, there is a spot near the top that is extremely narrow. Take plenty of water like we did because there is only one tiny stream of water and that is before you even get to the 1 mile mark so taking water is extremely crucial especially if you take your pet! Beautiful views all the way up and the views from the tower are amazing. Seing God's design like that is breath taking!

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Small parking lot directly to the west of exit 32, does have bathrooms and some picnic tables right there. trail map says 4.8 miles to the tower. I went straight across the access road and stayed on trail, GPS app said only 8.9 round trip. (MMF may not be accurate in the mountains) Great fire tower and 360 views, only about 50 steps and built of metal.

Be forewarned have seen several timber rattlers and copperhead up there. Trail is open to bikers and often see runners, please keep dogs on leash.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Awesome view at the top. Turned out to be 10.1 miles for us. Highly recommend.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Pinnacle Fire Tower is a beautiful wooded area, some switchbacks, easy, steady, slight incline, dog and kid friendly. you can climb the Fire Tower and look 360 degrees.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Pinnacle Fire Tower Trail is an easy hike, just long - about 9.5 mi in-and-out. (Maybe that classifies as a moderate hike.) Beautiful wooded area, easy, steady walk, some switchbacks, kid and dog friendly.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

great trail and excellents views!

Monday, April 25, 2016

It its definitely worth the effort!! We started down by the exit of the hwy. It its about 4.7 miles from where we parked to the tower. About halfway up, you Run into a paved road, if you turn left and walk up it, you will cut about an hour off of your time. We kept going across that road and continued on the trail. A lot of bikes going both ways. It took 3 1/2 hours from where we parked and we stopped only once for about 5 mins and then for about 10 at the tower.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Awesome! First hike of 2016 yesterday. Record high temps; loved the climb.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

We did this trail on a sunny, yet cold day in February. We were surprised to find this trail is located right off of the exit. The trails are wide enough for my friend and I to run next to each other while chatting. The scenery throughout is gorgeous. The top is absolutely breath taking.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

One thing I like about this trail is that it's easy to find, just off I-26. There are lots of switchbacks on the way up the mountain, so not super-steep and the views from the tower are spectacular.

Friday, October 02, 2015

This is a fairly easy, steady pace/elevation gain trail that makes for a nice quick AM hike. You can do this round trip in about 3 hours. Views from the top are pretty awesome.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Great hike. Awesome views from fire tower. 8year old was able to go entire trail with no problems.