Piney River Trail

Piney River Trail is a 6.4 mile out and back trail located near Spring City, Tennessee that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a totally different animal in the late fall/winter. There is no way it should be classified as easy. There are loads of leaf covered rocks and a VERY treacherous crossing or two. Still, it's one of the best low traffic trails around. Only saw one other person on the whole trip. Was not happy to find traces of humans in trash scattered intermittently on the trail though. The campsite at the big bridge is "Da Bomb"!!!

Nice overnight trip with Troop 10 out of Cleveland,TN

Beautiful rock formations and large Hemlock and Poplar trees.

Absolutely Fantastic experience. Although rated easy, there are some reasonably technical spots in the trail so I would lean more towards moderate. Lots of roots, rocks and poison oak/ivy. Still anyone in reasonable shape can do this. Take swim trunks, water shoes and googles with you. When you get to the bridge, you'll understand!

Awesome hike. We stayed at the Rockhouse Branch campsite. The whole hike was beautiful. We stopped for about 2 hours and swam at the big bridge on the river. We were the only ones there. In fact we went almost 24 hours without seeing anyone else. Between the first bridge and our campsite there were several very large trees over the trail and a beehive nest somewhere in it and my daughter was stung several times. It's not in an easy place to get around. We had plenty of water sources for filtering. Came back to the lookout near the parking lot to watch the eclipse. I look forward to doing this again when the leaves change in the fall.

Beautiful hike. I was hoping to hike along side the river, but you are fairly high up, and don't actually get to go to the water until you are about 3 miles in. It was well worth it though!

7.29.17

Totally loved this trail! We only made it half way in to the first bridge. We stopped there and had a picnic on the flat rocks and swam a little, and it was really refreshing. Just absolutely beautiful, and we only saw one other couple the whole time, which we thought was unbelievable for how amazing this place is! We'll definitely be going back to start at the top so we hike the other half.

Hike was longer than stated. Trails were very well laid out with markers appropriately spaced for trail recognition.
Some areas were very skinny and really had to watch steps carefully.
Overall it was a great place to spend a beautiful May Day!

Well defined trail that I would classify as a bit more than easy & slightly less than moderate. Beautiful area. I suggest nearby Piney Falls for waterfalls and Stinging Fork is at this location.

Rated easy but I would rate it moderate because of all the loose rocks. For years I skipped this trail due to the easy rating. I'm glad I finally decided to hike it. Gorgeous trail!

Great day hike!!!