Piney River and Twin Rocks Nature Trails

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(34)
Spring City, Tennessee

Piney River and Twin Rocks Nature Trails is a 13.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Spring City, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,083 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Experience small waterfalls and cascades while viewing over 40 wildflowers. The trail Piney River is part of the Bowater Pocket Wilderness located just west of Spring City. This 10 plus mile hike is best known for it's wildflowers. The trail follows Piney River as well as in and out of several branches connecting to it.

Hiked on 5-9-2020. The trail is narrow, a little sloped, and somewhat overgrown, but it’s still a great, secluded hike. We were the only ones on the trail on a beautiful spring Saturday. There were lots of downed trees to climb over and you should wear pants given the overgrowth. We reached the swinging bridge a little over 3 miles in. It’s a great spot to turn around for a moderate hike, or you can follow the trail further from there. Overall we really enjoyed this hike.

Lot of downed trees on this one; had to go around or over.

Fairly easy trail, well used, easy to navigate.

Sun Dec 30 2018

Decided to take the Twin Rocks trail. A large tree is across the path at the beginning making for a challenging start. Once I navigated past that it was fairly easy hiking with the challenge being the elevation gain. The caged ladder has had the lower rungs replaced so it is usable. I will go back when I'm feeling stronger and have a Hiking buddy with me.

Thu Oct 04 2018

a little over grown in spots, but overall good trail. twin rocks loop is probably the most difficult part of this trail. Would be better in winter.

Mon Aug 27 2018

Great trail and beautiful river views

Sat Jan 13 2018

Nice walk great view

Sun Dec 31 2017

Great hike and very well marked. Did not see a single person on the trail. You can hear the river the entire hike.

Sun Nov 13 2016

My wife and I hiked the 2.5 mile Twin Rocks loop which is not well documented on this site. It starts at the Piney River Picnic area. We took the trail marked as the Twin Rocks Nature Trail and hiked to the Twin Rocks Outlook (1380', so its a 530 foot climb from the trailhead.) On the return hike we turned left at a trail junction and followed gentle switchbacks down to an intersection with the Piney River Trail which we then hiked back to the trailhead at the Picnic Area. A very pleasant short hike. (Easy/Moderate - 2.5 miles) Warning: the Twin Rocks Outlook is accessed by a "caged ladder" and, as of Nov 2016, the lowest two rungs on the ladder were missing. Some athleticism is required to mount the ladder. I give The Twin Rocks loop 3 stars - the Outlook is a very interesting rock feature but the views are a bit limited.

Sat Aug 13 2016

Great hike! Great camping and fishing too.

Fri May 15 2015

Correction to my last post the Mary Wether Pass is actually called McDonalds Branch, not sure where I got Mary Wethers Pass from, oh well

Tue Oct 14 2014

This is a really nice trail with a lot of nice perks.. You have the sounds of the river for almost the entire trail and it is very well marked. I never saw another person the entire hike so I think this is a overlooked trail by many.. The only negative was there was a lot of large downed trees that you have to go over or under and for some that could be a issue. Other than that its a great trail I would highly recommend it.

Tue Mar 25 2014

Great trail. Trailhead is on the left across the street from the picnic area. The Overlook trail forks to the left off of the Piney River main trail. Both are nice, the Overlook is a bit steeper but a more interesting hike with a nice payoff at the top. The main trail follows the Piney River and loops back on itself not far past McDonald's Branch.

Sun Nov 10 2013

Good short hike and easy my 3&5 year olds hiked this trail

Thu Aug 08 2013

We hiked this trail after several storms had passed thru the area. There were several huge trees across the trail which we had to crawl over. We seen several families enjoying the trail but the trail path didn't seem like it sees alot of traffic. Nice trail, we will hike again.

Tue Mar 19 2013

This beautiful trail is part of the Cumberland Trail system, it follows the Piney river through a magnificent old growth Hemlock forest ( see them before they go the way of the Chestnut), and offers nice river views from high ridge tops, this trail has it all; lots of waterfalls, swimming holes, huge boulders, nice bridges, wild flowers, wildlife, several backcountry campsites, would like to return to hike this trail in summer!

Sun Jul 22 2012

Great hike..lots of pretty river views. Very peaceful:) good, midsize length hike..not very heavily traveled..well marked.

Thu Mar 15 2012

I gave it a 5 because I enjoy the sound of rushing water. Very peaceful hike. The wildflowers were amazing (just started documenting). There was a huge rock slide on the trail but, we were able to maneuver over the top. Also, some small trees over the trail. Overall, beautiful day in the 80's and great people to hike with. Can't wait to go back. Oh, I did give a tick a ride back to my house. Ouch!

Sat May 11 2019