Piney Falls is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Grandview, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 275 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

It has been reported that if you take the left route and make this an out and back trail instead of completing the loop, the route is much easier. The full loop reportedly includes a cable and can be more difficult.

The Upper Falls are serene and gorgeous. The trail to get down to the Upper Falls is a bit treacherous as it crosses the top of the falls. The water flow was fine on our trip and we crossed without concern. If water flow was very heavy, crossing at the top could be very dangerous. We started out going left at the fork but did find it a bit confusing. We ended up backtracking and going right at the fork and made our way down to Upper Falls. The hike down is strenuous but fun, just take your time. If you want to avoid crossing the top of the falls, go left at fork and stay right at each turn. There is a short trail to see very little of Lower Falls. Make sure you walk behind the falls and enjoy every angle!

This is my second trip to Piney and it did not disappoint. I always see photos of it dried up but when I came in January the Falls were REALLY flowing. But it was Icey and a little dangerous. This time it was sunny, very green and the waterfalls were still flowing pretty well. If you aren’t an experienced hiker it’s recommenced you hang a left at the fork/loop to bypass crossing the top of upper piney and having to take the cable trail down. I personally enjoyed the crossing and the cable, but not recommended for children or doggos. Anyway, beautiful day for two beautiful waterfalls. Very photogenic. Happy hiking!

Nice waterfall but trail is a little confusing, at least to me. 2nd junction is at Lower Piney fall sign. Trail to the left at base of “steps” rambles scenically to an end of trail sign. Steep hill to lower falls. Upper falls is very scenic.

I was not prepared for the difficulty of this trail. Go right at the fork if you have small children, have a fear of heights, or are not an experienced hiker. It is hard, and there are no rails on a very narrow portion of the trail where there is a serious drop. I found it intimidating, and we had our 4 kids which made it very nerve racking. I will say it's absolutely beautiful, especially the falls and the trail past the falls. I noticed reviews that said it isn't well marked, but we did not have any problems staying on the loop.

I am giving this a one not because it wasn’t beautiful or enchanting but DANGEROUS! Not safe for kids. The trail is a loop. When you come to the hike there will be a sign that has an arrow pointing left and right. GO LEFT AND GO BACK THE WAY YOU CAME - DO NOT LOOP! Go back the way you cane. If you continue to loop you hade to pull yourself straight up the mountain while pulling yourself up with a steel cable. I felt like the little guy on the Cliff Hanger Price is Right game yodeling and all. When you’re climbing and puking yourself through the Rocky Mountain side some of the rocks are lose or you don’t have a good place to put your foot to catapult you up. I struggled. Then just when you think it’s over you have to cross the raging river. The rocks have excessive algae making them slippery. There is no way not to get completely soaked from knees up. It has been 6 days since rain and the river was still raging. They have a few rocks that you can from hop to but you’ll have to walk in the water to get to the other side. I got on all fours to ensure I didn’t slip and swish down a 100 foot waterfall. Why not walk? These rocks have more algae growth than I’ve ever seen and it’s like walking on floor of Crisco. The first overlook on the trail has a slim trail overlooking the view. One wrong step and you will fall to your death. This is by far the most unsafe trail I’ve ever encountered. I met many other first timers and they were perplexed at the danger. Thy need rail guards and to shut the loop. Go left, go to the waterfall and turn around. I’ll never go back.

Pretty easy hike. Beautiful falls and places to sit and enjoy.

Nice waterfalls and well marked trails.Trail runs behind the falls for some great photo opportunities.

Well worth the trip out there. Be sure to check out Lower Piney Falls as well. Worth the view.

This is a strenuous trail especially if it has been raining! Steep slopes on the lower falls! It is beautiful!

This is a great trail for the adventurous(if you take the fork to the right). The upper falls has a water crossing that is deep and slippery. I almost went in the drink. If you are not limber,agile,wearing suitable hiking boots go left at the fork! The water was beautiful due to our rainy winter. Perfect time to see the falls. There is also this steep climbdown to bottom of the upper falls. I did it on my butt. Have a great time but be careful. My little terrier had the time of his life!

Lots of adventure packed into a relatively short hike. Watch your step, but the view from behind the upper falls is equal to the front view. Trail was clear of tree debris and well marked.

The water was hustling from all the rain, so when we tried to follow the trail across the creek at the top of the upper falls, it was very deep and cold and after attempting to cross on the rocks and almost falling in because they were too slippery, we decided to turn around and go the other direction on the loop. We made it to the base of the upper falls easily and WOW it was beautiful. Flowing very well, way more than I'd seen in a lot of the pictures. We spent a while here taking photos and just taking it in. We then tried to go to the lower falls, and we did make it to the top of the falls but had trouble finding our way to the base. We're from out of state so maybe we just didn't know the correct path with all of the small little side trails people have made. We ended up just giving up after a while and turning around. But still overall a beautiful area and worth the hike.

The trail was well marked and maintained. The cable was a surprise and fun experience. Crossing the waterfall at the top was also interesting. I really liked that the trail went behind the waterfall!!

Really cool trail. Well maintained. I went after a lot of rain. The falls were flowing really well! It was VERY pretty. The bit you had to climb up the ridge with the wire cable was a surprise and super fun. The creek crossing above the upper fall can be pretty treacherous. My dogs refused, and I had to turn around.

Loved this trail. Hiked 2-9-20 right after heavy rains. Water was up so crossing creek at top of falls was a no go. Reversed course and enjoyed a truly remarkable hike below, and behind, the falls. A must do for your bucket list.

Great hike!! Take the path to the right and use the cable to descend to the bottom of the falls. Much easier that way. Beautiful walk behind the falls and back up.

Beautiful waterfalls today! Due to all the recent rain we were not able to cross the top of upper Piney Falls. We had to turn around and take the trail down to the lower Piney overlook and then followed the trail down to the bottom of Upper Piney Falls. We followed under the falls to get to the other side. We did about 4 miles since we didn’t do the loop. It was wet and icey so under those conditions I would say the hike was moderate. The waterfalls were roaring. Absolutely beautiful!

The trail was rather muddy and partially washed out from yesterday’s storm. The descent down to the lower falls was a bit of a challenge for this overweight old timer but the view of the falls was well worth it. Ready to go back again.

Lots of water following recent rain. Couldn't cross stream at top of Upper Piney Falls, though was able to access base of falls via trail loop beyond Lower Piney Falls. Everything wet, muddy, slippery. Both falls impressive! Can walk behind Upper Piney Falls, but expect to get soaked with mist! Easy hike. Good shoes/tread important. I also hiked "Stinging Fork Falls" afterwards - see review.

Wonderful hike to do after a rain!

flooded

Great adventure! Definitely not easy, getting to the actual falls was a workout! Lower more so than upper. Fantastic trip though. Recent rains made it difficult to cross the falls, we played it safe and didn’t try but have vowed to go back and walk across when it is drier. Shoes with good tread are necessary.