Phillips Hollow Trail

Phillips Hollow Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Greeneville, Tennessee that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is definitely not for amateurs. There is several places that require crossing through the creek over boulders, some places as deep as 3 to 4 ft of wading. Rocks were very slippery as well as covered in moss. Much of the trail seemed to be washed out. This trail is for ADVANCED Hikers.

Went during the spring with some lingering snow. Be sure to bring boots that can get wet or find creative ways to jump across a small stream. Actual trail can be muddy, but not hard and you get to follow the stream all the way to a beautiful small waterfall with a shallow wading area.

As the others said, the trail is rather overgrown. About 3/4 mile in the trail gets pretty rough. If you’re out for scenery, take the right path up to Margarette Falls.

We hiked part of this trail. We hiked it for about an hour before we finally turned around. The trail is VERY VERY overgrown and not well marked. This trail needs some TLC! The trail is also rated hard. Unless it gets harder past the point where we turned around, it should be rated moderate. I think I will bring some spray paint and a machete next time I go. However, the hike was beautiful!! I see other reviews saying it meets up with other trails. We did not see any other trails and struggled even find our trail most of the time.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

It was great. I think we went past Phillips Hollow to Artie Hollow. We turned back when we saw a Momma Bear and two cubs.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Fairly easy hike until it branches off with the Artie hollow trail. If you take a right, it's basically straight up to the AT.

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Loved this trail! Several waterfalls along the way. (The Artie Hollow Trail, from the left, meets up with this one about 2 miles up. It's marked with trail tape where it branches off.) I would rate this trail as moderate to strenuous. There are numerous creek crossings and there are places you have to look for the blazes. They are there, but can take a second or two to find. The trail meets up with the AT I think and becomes more of an uphill climb past the Artie Hollow trail. The Spruce Thicket trail also branches off this trail not too far into the trail but I've never been able to find it.
This trail is worth hiking, but it is better in the fall after the leaves have fallen and more of the waterfalls can be seen. There is a very large tree trunk obstructing the path and must be climbed around or gone through. There is a muddy area around the trunk so watch your footing.

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Very difficult trail... For ADVANCED hikers!! I added the pictures, wrote the Overview and the Description for this trail... Enjoy!!

Thursday, July 06, 2017