Petes Branch Falls is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Afton, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length3.8 miElevation gain741 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashKid friendlyHikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingRunningForestViewsWaterfallWildflowers
Description

Photos (112)
Activities (45)
Completed (117)
Lisa Collier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 4, 2021
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

my 4 year old and I loved all the creek crossings! a few were very challenging but we pushed through to make it to the falls which were gushing after all the recent rain

Christie Dowdy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 21, 2021
Hiking

20 creek crossing total out and back . Definitely need to go in spring or after a lot of rain to have good flow on the falls but a beautiful area to hike .

View Christie's activity
Matt Graber
View Matt's activity
Aloysius Rambo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 23, 2020
Hiking

This hike would be better in the warmer months due to all the creek crossings. I will be back in the spring with my hiking sandals. Today we had our dog with us that likes to pull on her leash. Even with 2 hiking poles I couldn't trust that she wouldn't drag me off of one of the logs or slick rocks to cross. My husband and some other hikers were able to cross by rock hopping carefully. Since I had the pup, I put on what I had in my pack, which was a pair of flip flops and walked through. Creeks were cold and refreshing and only went up to my shins at most.. just wish I didn't have to take off my shoes and dry my feet so many times. In the future warmer months or during a dry spell, I suppose. We turned back after I think the 3rd crossing and there are many!

View Aloysius's activity
Alex Proctor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 18, 2020
HikingGreat!Snow

The first 1.8 miles of the hike takes you on wide ATV road. The remainder of the hike, designated with a small wooden sign indicating Petes Branch Falls, is an easy hiking trail with moderate incline to the falls. We counted 10 creek crossings one-way which do get high after snowmelt or recent rain. Our boots got soaked on a cold winters day, so I'd recommend bringing a pair of hiking poles, dry socks, and/or extra shoes if hiking in colder conditions with high water. The falls was flowing solidly today and it's a gorgeous 45 ft drop. Of note, my AllTrails app recorded a total hike mileage of 6.0 miles from the main parking lot, so I'm not sure if the listed mileage is accurate.

View Alex's activity
Brad DeWeese
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 14, 2020
Hiking

Trail is a wide 4x4/ ATV path but littered with trash and currently run amuck with bear hunters. Find another spot

View Brad's activity
Heather D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 15, 2020
HikingMuddy

This was a really beautiful and relatively easy hike for a family that hikes quite a bit (including a 12 year old, a 7 year old, and our Great Pyrenees). The trail begins as an ATV road at a campground/picnic area. There is plenty of level parking. We saw one Jeep and one ATV leaving the road as we were beginning the trail at about 2:30 pm, but didn't see another person on the entire hike. This hike has several creek crossings. My husband (6 feet tall) managed to jump the rocks at the creek crossings and never got wet, but my kids and I (5'2 and shorter) got our feet wet on three of the crossings. The water was a bit cold at this time of year, but not cold enough to make hiking in wet shoes uncomfortable. The trail has good signage (which looked new) to show where you split to follow Pete's Branch to the left towards the falls or continue uphill on a different trail. The trees were also well marked with blue markers up to the falls. The falls don't have a huge flow volume, but were really beautiful. It was a very easy scramble to get to the bottom of the falls and there was room to sit and enjoy a snack. This was a fairly level hike with only a few spots of incline. Great family hike!

Nancy Ward
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 24, 2020
HikingGreat!

Beautiful hike , even though the falls were just a trickle. Total solitude. 7creek crossings, low water flow kept my feet dry. When you park at the trailhead for Squibb Falls, just follow the forest service road until you come to the trail marker for Pete's Branch. It would be nice if there was a marker at the trail head. I'll go back and do both falls in late winter, hopefully with more flow.

Tiff Lindsay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 27, 2020
View Tiff's activity
Jeremy Alvelo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

The trail was awesome. Not to steep but certain places get more slope. 10 creek crossings on the way to the falls that are mostly easily crossed and a few that are smaller than others. Great hike

Janet Hargette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

Great hike. Very slippery in areas and a lot of creek crossings. Falls were beautiful and the trail follows the stream. So green and lush. Added on Pete’s Branch Falls trail. Beautiful cove and even though water flow was low the rock cliff was very pretty. Jeep road is rough with many wet stream crossings

View Janet 's activity
Rodney Freeman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
Hiking

Multiple creek crossings. I managed to only have to wade 3 times. Much of this trail is a 4x4 forest road. I encountered jeeps, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles. Nice falls at the end and no one else in sight there.

View Rodney's activity
Craig Bradley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 22, 2020
Hiking

Nice short warm up loop trail before hiking one of the longer trails that start from the same parking area. Good for kids.

View Craig's activity
Craig Bradley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 22, 2020
Hiking

There are at least 2 stream crossings that you can't avoid getting your feet wet.

View Craig's activity
Judith Perkins Lewis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 31, 2019
HikingBugsMuddyOver grown

Not a difficult hike, but not well marked and overgrown.

View Judith's activity
Michael Edens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 19, 2019
Hiking

Took my senior dog yesterday and the creek crossings were a bit more difficult than expected. I was able to hop on some rocks and keep my shoes from getting too wet but the water was up to my dogs chest and she was having a pretty hard time due to the water temp. After about a mile on an old forest road, we came to a fork in the trail and there was a sign pointing in the direction of "Pete's Branch Trail" and 2 other destinations. I figured Pete's Branch Trail was different than the falls. I also noticed red tree markings on the other path (where the Pete's Branch Trail" sign was located. So we took a left and gave up after about half a mile. We never noticed any blue tree markings. Still a nice day in the woods.

Christopher Chamberlain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 24, 2018

The waterfall is beautiful with recent rain. A lot of the trail is along a ATV road but beyond that it’s a nice hike.

Cynthia Robertson Hannah
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 27, 2018
Hiking

This trail starts with a gravel (slightly washed out) Jeep trail then narrows into a single-person path to a waterfall. I was surprised this was marked an easy trail, because you have to cross the creek at least seven times - not easy crossings either. The creek was up on the day I went, so my feet got wet since water was up to my calf. Some of the crossings had big rocks to jump on, but at least three did not at all. The creek would have to be really low to not get wet at least once. After the Pete’s Branch split, it was not particularly steep until the very end. It’s a well-maintained trail. The Waterfall was peaceful but there are not a lot of dry places to sit and enjoy the view. I wish I had brought a blanket because the nearby rocks were wet from overhead drippings of the rock facing. Still, it was a great place for a snack and to enjoy the peaceful waterfall.

Eliza Green
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 24, 2018
Hiking

This trail follows a rough gravel road for a little over a mile. With a mild incline and several tricky creek crossings but still manageable to cross. Once the road ends you follow the blue markers for Pete's Branch Falls on the left for another half mile to the falls. Definitely worth the trip out there. The falls are amazing!

Eliza Green
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2018

Hugh Ryan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 26, 2018

Trail follows a rocky jeep trail 3/4 of the way to the falls. After road ends trail becomes more pleasant.

Steve Matthews
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2018
Hiking

Good little hike, had to cross water 4 or 5 times(went after it rained the previous 2 days).

View Steve's activity
David Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2018
Hiking

Hiked with four of my young children to this trickling-tallish and reclusive waterfall. Most of the trek was on a rocky road, littered with trash (even old furniture), and wasn’t marked until 1 1/2 miles into the trail. From there it became a moderate hike and very beautiful, with several small waterfalls and creek crossings (you WILL get wet).

View David 's activity
Roela Redd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 27, 2018

Crosses the creek several times. Hard not to get wet feet especially with kids.