Paw Paw Trail

Paw Paw Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pikeville, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Would have given I️t a 4 Star if this trail had better marking. The trail is beautiful and the overlooks are great. You can see at least two different waterfalls in the winter. The signage is confusing but we managed to make the loop. Once you park in the parking lot, then follow the trail that crosses the road, keep going until the trail splits. There are signs at the split but I️t does not mention a loop. Go to the left towards the outlooks and follow the purple blazes and I️t will loop you back around to that same split.

Over looks where nice but the trail isn't marked well.

The overlooks were nice. One was completely grown over so you couldn't see the falls. Easy trail for the dogs. We went mid-October, meaning the park was packed so this was a nice, empty trail. Met maybe 2 other hikers along the way.

Overall, we really liked this trail; however, it is poorly marked, so we had to rely on the GPS on our phones to make sure we stayed on the trail. There is one spot where you have to get up on the road briefly, which would not be ideal with young children or during heavy traffic (there were very few people up there when we were there during the week, so it wasn't a problem for us). If the trail was better marked, we would have given it a 4/5. It's a very pretty trail.

Great workout in the woods. Several "overlook" spar trails to explore. Beautiful fall colors.

lightly trafficked and some breathtaking views.

Good workout

Sunday, October 16, 2016

This trail is poorly marked, has a dangerous spot where you have to get on to the road and traffic is flying by and could easily be a spot for injury. There are a few overlooks, some are tricky to maneuver to get to the overlook, I would say it is moderate difficult at that part of the trail. Very shady and mostly flat walking. Several trails converge on this trail and markings are poor at best. It is a popular trail and will see lots of other folks on this trail.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

nice easy flat trial

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Easy trail to walk.. great views and over looks.. well worth the walk.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Ferns covered woods and big trees. Easy trail but not grand views that I was expecting.

Monday, August 17, 2015

This trail is actually a 2.5 mile point to point trail but it starts on the lower loop trail and cuts back into it. It features three (if i remember correctly) overlook side trails of which only one is worth going to. I think it was the first one going northbound. Either way, nothing special but it adds mileage to a day or backpacking trip and some "OK" overlook views. This one is also well maintained and pretty popular.

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Nice trail for early morning hike. There are several places that one can view the gorges. Cane creek over look is really nice as it is a bluff with sheer drop-offs, not a place to take kids to.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Very easy trail, with some nice bluff views.

Friday, July 26, 2013

This s**t is boring, been on it a number of times; the last part of the 13 mile overnight trail that you end up wanting desperately to get out of doing. They're are several overlooks on the trail, the only one worth mentioning is the first that gives you a sense of awe for the gorge with water running through it down below while standing on a rock cliff. The others are long an uneventful due to most of the year it being overgrown so you cannot see much. The trail seems longer than 2 miles and if you do the entire trail you come out thirsty with some ticks if your lucky.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Paw paw trail is a great starting out point. The trail takes you to the heart of fcf's where you can see most of the falls and geological features...

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

While we were there in very late summer, a few trees had begun to change, but for the most part, the trail was generously shaded with bright green leaves. Those leaves gave way for plenty of beautiful views of Cane Creek Gorge. The views of the gorge were very impressive, as were the main falls. However, you may want to check with the park office before heading out to FCF. The weekend we were there the waterfalls were flowing at more of a roaring tumble rather than an massive fall. Despite not seeing its full waterfalling glory, it still made for plenty of impressive views.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

I did the Paw Paw as part of the Lower Loop trail - the "official" park trail map says it is 2.6 mile loop. I haven't broken down my mileage by trail segments but I'm guessing their mileage is accurate.

The beginning part of the trail along the stream with overlooks is lovely. The sun was right in my face at overlooks in the afternoon, so it was difficult to take decent pics. The rest of it is just an uneventful walk in the woods by the road so you hear trucks racing by.

*disclaimer, this was the very last segment of my 2 day loop trail where I did 12 miles on day 2, and I was ready to finish & have a long shower... I thought there were other trails that offered prettier views.

Pics and more deets on my blog below...

Thursday, November 24, 2011

A good, easy trail with a couple of nice bluff over looks. The 1st part of the trail run by a stream for a short while. While there are no real climbs it's good for fast hiking if you want to get your heart rate up.