Paint Creek Trail

Paint Creek Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lanceville, Tennessee that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Well, the story is that once you find the paint creek Campground, you will have a hard time finding the trailhead for the Paint Creek Trail off of USFS 31. There are some trail maps posted on a signboard at the Moses Bend Parking area, but they are hard to see and not well labeled, which applies to the paint Creek trail as well. To find it, go into the campground off of USFS 31 and turn to the right. You'll find a sign for "Campground Loop" Trail #31. Take that loop over a pretty footbridge across Paint Creek. After about a half mile, you'll come to a sign that shows Trail #10, the Paint Creek Trail, going off to the right. Only problem is, almost immediately all blazes become faded and then disappear completely , as far as we could tell. After looking in several directions, finally we decided that following a sketchily blazed or unblazed unfamiliar trail was not a good idea so we turned around, continued around the campground loop trail in a counterclockwise direction, until we saw a spur for the Paint Mountain Trail #7. So we followed it a couple of miles through woods along a steep hillside, caught a pretty vista of the little valley of the Paint Creek but mostly just woods and moss. Blazes were good though! Any way we didn't have time to do all 9 miles of the trail so we turned around. So the Paint Mountain Trail section was pretty enough, just not distinguished by the fabulous vistas and gushing waterfalls that we are spoiled by in this area. SO I don't think I'll come back another day to this section.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

This trail is not real difficult, but I found it a little annoying. The portion that parallels the river is pretty, but a bit overgrown. You'll want pants or gaiters, maybe. Much of the trail lacks blazes, but if you follow the trodden path, you'll be fine.

I was glad that I was using hiking poles as parts of the path had me precariously perched on a precipice preparing to plummet to my peril in Paint Creek.

Sunday, February 07, 2016