Overmountain Victory Trail: Hampton to Yellow Mountain Gap

Overmountain Victory Trail: Hampton to Yellow Mountain Gap is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Roan Mountain, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I started at Hampton Creek area in winter. I Climbed 2 hrs upwards until I hit snow and mud and I came back recording only the back route. The route up on the Victory trail is steep and if there is no mud the trail is good. There are some nice view of the mountains and farms. I came back on an alternative parallel trail, which hugs a nice creek in the forest, but here the views are blocked by the trees.

Wonderful trail! Started at the Hampton Creek Natural Area trailhead in Tennessee and hiked to Yellow Mountain Gap NC. Steady uphill most of the way to the top. Took the red trail up, it closely follows the creek, and meets back up with the Overmountain Victory Trail. Trail can be hard to distinguish at times for this portion, but it is well marked with red flags on the trees. Once back on the Overmountain trail it is a lot of two-tracks. This is also well marked with white triangles on the trees or brown posts. First portion of the trail goes through active farm lands. Did come across the farmers as they were herding their cows. They were actually the ones that suggested we try the red trail up! This description says no dogs, however, the rules at the trail head say pets are allowed, but must be on leash. We brought our dog, kept him leashed and there were no issues going through the farmlands, the cows mostly just watched us as we passed through! There is a shelter at the top, great place to stop for a break. Overall, it was a great hike, and good views!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

I enjoyed this trail. We hiked it in mid September and the wildflowers in the pastural areas were beautiful. There are some nice long range views in spots but I feel this is a trail that is more about your immediate surroundings than the views. Last part of trail up to the AT is a nice uphill wooded walk. This trail is is a workout on the way up.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Monday, June 01, 2015

I completed the Overmountain Victory foot trail today starting in Roan Mountain, Tennessee at Hampton a Creek State Natural Area. Although this is a point-to-point trail I had to do a round trip. I did the trip with 2 separate tracks, 1 northbound and 1 southbound. The Overmountain Victory trail starts in Virginia but most of it is a scenic drive. I found the foot trail closest to me and walked all,of,it which was about 5 miles one way. If you are doing the round trip starting from the Tennessee side I suggest camping near or staying at the red barn shelter which can be found on the North Carolina side of Yellow Mountain Gap. To get there you need only follow the blue blazes immediately after you intersect with the Appalachian Trail. They will lead you down hill to,a forest service road where you make a right and it dead ends at the barn in less than half a mile. There is a picturesque view of the valley right before you get to the barn. As for the trail, it's challenging due to the uphill climb all the way to Yellow Mountain Gap. You will cross a couple,of,foot bridges within a mile of the Hampton trail head and many mountain streams. More than half your hike will be through meadows and cow pastures but always within sound of the creek until you finally head into the woods. My northbound track has all the pictures along the way where the trail is marked with a brown Overmountain Victory (OVM) trail marker on a brown post. White plastic triangles mark some of the trees when you get into the woods. The trail started as a grassy footpath that then turned into a gravel/dirt road. There were many gates to open and close and I suggest leaving any gate the way it was when you passed through it. Most of the gates were closed with a chain. I passed 2 dozen cattle in one meadow I had to walk through but thankfully I didn't see a bull. Most pasture trails followed the side of a wood line or barbed wire fence. Once you get into the woodland portion of the hike, the trail forks. Take the right fork and your are now on a single foot path. As you get closer to the top of the mountain it gets wide like an ATV trail. At the top of the mountain are some monuments related to the Mountain Men. Cross the AT following blue blazes and take a left almost immediately off the blue blazes. The OMV trail will follow a grassy path next to the wide line and it could be very overgrown even though you still see the narrow footpath. It will make an immediate U turn into the woods and follow a creek all the way to the North Carolina trail head where hopefully you have a car parked. On the northbound track I didn't follow the OVM trail the way I came but instead took the service road all the way to the blue blazes and then back up to the AT. Enjoy re-stepping this little piece of history that had a huge impact on outcome of the Revolutionary War and our freedom but please be respectful of the family property and farms you will ultimately be walking through. You will have crossed over the highest peak of any OVM foot trail at 4682 feet (Yellow Mountain Gap).