Old Trace Garrison Creek Loop Trail

Old Trace Garrison Creek Loop Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Franklin, Tennessee that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

bridge out

Trail begins behind restrooms. This is a good hike to do with young kids. Short enough to keep them interested and long enough to give them a good workout. Great for introduction to hiking. Short little loop hike that begins behind the bathrooms at the Garrison Creek Trail off of the Natchez Trace in Franklin. This is a pretty easy hike that almost anyone could do. The climbs are not that steep or long. The trail is always easily located, wide and with limited to no obstacles.

It is a nice walk, but the trails are not maintained very well.

Nice casual trail. With fall the trail gets hidden in places from the leaves but not impossible to follow. Some muddy places but you can get around them

Decent hike. Lots of good inclines. Narrow rocky trails. It was harder for us bc we had our old lady dog with us

Do not think I would consider this moderate more inbetween easy and moderate. Kinda boring not much to look at.

Very muddy in some parts. Only one overlook on the short loop.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Most of the hike was great. The first part of the path was VERY overgrown and wasn't great. Also, the end part of the path continued through a creek bed which was fine if you had a horse or didn't mind wading through the water to get to the other side of the trail. Other than that, beautiful forest scenery.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

This is a wonderfully peaceful trail. I recommend it to anyone trying to get a break from the city.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Beautiful area, nice trail, but POORLY marked. We will go back but be prepared to get turned around your first there.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Nice short loop trail. I had no issues with any water crossing. I liked that the crescendo of hike is basically midway (which is where you can branch off toward another trailhead). Slightly overgrown only for a short segment. Shelter and rest rooms a bonus.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

To me this trail was not worth it. I went here because I wanted a change from Radnor or the Warner parks. I am pretty adventurous and love hiking, but after hiking a half mile on this trail I turned around and went to Radnor. The weeds were extremely overgrown and every 10 steps I was wiping away spider webs from my face (I ignored the ones on my legs and arms). While the drive around the Nachez Trace is worth it, I won't be back to attemp this trail.

If you do try this trail, make sure you where pants and prepare to get your feet wet in the creek crossings.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

NOTE - if you hike this trail it would be good to bring a towel or two - there are two crossings over the creek that you will get your feet wet - we took our boots off and had to dry our feet w our shirts. There really needs to be a bridge built (where there once use to be one) on this trail.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

We hiked this trail for the first time - there really should be markings along the trail to let you know you are still on the trail - the map shows. 1.6 mil for the hike - we ended up w 3.5 mil after we were done staying on the trail the way we were to go.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Ended up hiking 5 miles instead of 2 because we managed to get turned around.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Signage is a bit confusing. Walked to wrong parking lot. So quick 1/2 hour walk turned into 2 hours. Wanted the exercise anyway. Saw several groups of ppl confused by signage.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Great area to hike, quiet,beautiful and not crowded

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Great trail with very little traffic. As mentioned by others, a little overgrown in parts. I did not experience any extremely muddy conditions today. I found this trail easy other than one short climb. Not nearly as challenging as Warner parks. I may not return, but would definitely suggest it to others who have not experienced it.
On a side note: if coming from Nashville, do take Hillsboro to Lieper's for an enjoyable pre hike drive:-)

Monday, July 06, 2015

When reviewers said the trail is muddy, I should've believed them. It has rained here the past 3 days, so I'm sure that made it worse.

Trail is scenic with a couple of minor hills. Otherwise fairly easy. Problem is the mud. I didn't see any other hikers. Saw 6 people on horseback. The horses chew up the trail and contribute to the mud.

Because of the recent rain, I think I had 5 water crossings. The first, after you walk under the roadway, I decided to detour around by walking up to the road and around. Second one, no way around it. Shoes off and water up to my knees. The rocks were very slippery. The last couple were after the tall grass and trail of mud that others have mentioned. At that point, I was ankle deep in mud, so just walked through the water crossings to clean off my shoes and legs.

This trail is a decent change of scenery from Percy Warner and Radnor Lake. I don't know I'd go out of my way to go here. Although the drive through Leipers Fork is worth it.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Nothing great about this trail. No views, and you have to get your feet wet to cross a stream where there was once clearly a bridge. Definitely wouldn't recommend.

Monday, March 16, 2015

If you're looking for an alternative to hiking around Percy Warner and don't want to travel too far away from the city, this is a great option. It had just previously rained the past few days so knew the trail would be a bit muddy. Really if it wasn't for the horse tracks, it wouldn't have been bad at all. The creeks were very high and was a point when I did have to remove my shoes and cross the creek. However, in the summer I'm sure they would be easily crossed. It was a beautiful day and the trail was nearly empty. Driving home I pass by Percy Warner, and you couldn't even find a parking spot. I'll take Garrison every time when that is the case. Nice little hike, close to the city, not busy. Recommended for sure. Not difficult by any means. Check it out. Enjoy!

Friday, January 16, 2015

First trail we hiked since moving here. B'ful trail and very shaded at beginning. Then the markings disappear and we just had to guess where to continue. Ended up pouring down rain with thunder. Had to cross a deep stream and ended up in a field. Not sure if it was private property or not. Finally got so turned around that we decided to walk on the road to get back to our car. Def. is more of a horse trail.