We started at the trail head on 441 near the welcome center. Which in my opinion is the better way. You follow the river for a large portion with a few good areas to get down to the water and splash some icy water in your face or just relax. The climb isnt bad. Not sure the grade throughout but myself and my wife were able to do it. She isn't an avid hiker while I'm experienced. Not many places to rest on the upslope. But there are a few streams. Once you hit the top its a relatively short trek to an amazing river crossing with a log bridge as well as a crossing for vehicles. We stopped there and played in the water while we had a snack. The last section down the road wasn't as great and I feel there ahould be an actual trail that connects into twin creeks. Twin creeks is nice if lightly trafficked. Otherwise not much to note. The Gatlinburg section offered a lot of river views and rest spots. Be prepared for a lot of bugs as we were dogged by nats moat of the way. Excellent trail. Easy 10 miles.