Old Settlers Trail is a 16.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Sevierville, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 16.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,454 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Fun hike ! About 30 min drive between start and end of the trail if hiking point to point and need to drop off cars. About 19-20 creeks to cross ... I used my old hiking shoes and just accepted my feet would be a bit wet. But honestly the creeks are all crossable easily. Only the last one at mile 15 or so close to maddron bald is more technical and may be a bit dangerous. Trail really well maintained up to campsite 33 more sketchy after with a lot of trees down on the trail . Took us 6 hours and 30 minutes

My 10 year old daughter and I hiked this trail starting at the Baxter Rd. entrance. It is 1.2 miles up Maddron Bald trail to the beginning of Old Settlers Trail. The trail is marked much better to the west of campsite 33. The fact that it is lightly traveled, especially in the fall and winter, causes the trail east of campsite 33 to be a little more difficult to see in some spots. At 6.8 miles from the beginning of Maddron Bald Trail there is a tree down right in a switchback and it is difficult to see it switchback when heading from the east. Lots of old chimneys and rock walls. Probably about 20 different creek crossings. Some are easier than others. It was a fun day hike. I recommend for most.

Great trail. Easy water crossings. Accessed into the trail from an unmarked trailhead recommenced by locals. History of rock walls is evident and plentiful.

My wife and I hiked 3 miles in with my toddler on my back. The scenery was absolutely beautiful. They are trimming the trail out. The trail is very easy to fallow. This is the first hike with my little one. The streams is very easy to cross while staying dry. The only reason we turned around is because we was running out of daylight and my 33 pound little one was getting heavy on me lol. Not long into the trail we found the stone walls fallowing the creek. They are very easy to see and find. They are right beside the trail. The historical things are kinda in the middle of hike. You will have to get past the first campsite to see the old things so we was told by people that has been there before. We came in on greenbrier side. In order to view the old historical sights it’s about the same distance from both ends of the trail. I researched the best I could about this trail and there was very little information to prepare us for it so I really hope our experience will help others. I wish I could have read something like this to help me get prepared for it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. 11-2-2019

Hiked to CS #33 from Greenbrier. A bit overgrown but easy to follow from this direction; a lot of those chimneys and a good mix of up and down mild elevation changes.

The hike up Maddron Bald Trail is gentle grade on gravel road. Once you get to Old Settlers you will find a mixture of ups and downs. Many old chimneys and many rock walls. You will come to a side trail to Tyson McCarter barn. From here until campsite 33 you will find many downed trees and overgrown trail. You will have to go off trail to get through and it is hard to find trail again,it is a shame they have let this trail go. So much history here

This trail is great toward the maddron bald trail with cool historical sites; however, the middle section is overgrown and hard to follow. Some sections you need to go about 15-20 feet in a different direction to relocate scant evidence of the trail. Also there is a confusing split by an unmarked trail that leads you to US-321. Would not recommend this trail for a person who is not familiar with the smokies or packing in general.

Tue Jul 03 2018

This was an amazing hike! We hiked in only 4 miles looking for the old growth forest, which we didn't find. After about 2.5 miles the trail managers had not been around in a while and there were downed trees to cross and such, which just made it more fun! It was lovely with the mountain laurel blooming and the changes in flora as we went along. The elevation changes made it a bit more challenging, but that was good too! Had a great time!

Thu Oct 19 2017

Loved all the historical features all along this trail. Get the park's app for the trail. Great descriptions of points along your hike.