Myrtle Point via Appalachian Trail and Boulevard Trail

Myrtle Point via Appalachian Trail and Boulevard Trail is a 15.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

The Boulevard Trail is an American hiking trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, in Sevier County, Tennessee. Approximately 0.2 miles (0.32 km) from the Boulevard-Appalachian Trail junction is the Jumpoff Trail, a 0.3-mile (0.48 km) side trail that crosses the summit of Mount Kephart en route to a 1,000-foot (300 m) cliff overlooking the eastern Smokies and Sevier County. About a mile past the Jumpoff Trail junction, the Boulevard Trail descends for appx. 500 feet (150 m) before rising again along the eastern side of Mount Le Conte. At 7.5 miles (12.1 km) the trail comes to a 0.2-mile (0.32 km) spur trail leading to one of the four peaks of the Le Conte massif, Myrtle Point. Myrtle Point is particularly known for its fantastic sunrises, as it provides a clear view to the east. Just beyond the side trail to Myrtle Point, the Boulevard Trail ascends to High Top, the highest point on Mount Le Conte (6,593 ft; 2,010 m). From High Top, the Boulevard Trail continues for another 0.2 miles (0.32 km) to the Mount Le Conte backcountry shelter (modeled after those found on the Appalachian Trail) and then a short distance to LeConte Lodge, where the trail terminates at its junction with the Alum Cave Trail and the Trillium Gap Trail.

From LeConte Lodge, it is 0.7 mi. over the top of LeConte and to the sign at the Boulevard Trail - Myrtle Point junction, and another 0.2 miles from there to Myrtle Point. This is a great spot for sunrises or sunsets as Myrtle Point is a ridge with views from both sides. The LeConte AT shelter is between the top of LeConte and LeConte Lodge. We "just" missed the sunrise but enjoyed the early morning light at the top. Not to miss if you are in the vicinity.

Strenuous hike, but you pay with your legs to see with your eyes. Outstanding Vista views, one of the best in the park. Hit the Cliff tops for even more magnificent overlooks of the GSNP.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Sunday, September 11, 2016

wonderful?

Friday, September 02, 2016

This was an amazing hike. We started at Newfound Gap and hiked the first 2.7 miles on the AT. Be warned, the trail is straight up for the first few miles. After the junction of Charlie's Bunion and Boulevard, the trail begins a rollercoaster that lasts until the last mile. The last stretch of Boulevard is very challenging with exposed hiking along the ridges and steep, rocky climbs. Turn left and hike the remaining 0.3 miles to Myrtle Point or go right and hike 0.6 to LeConte Lodge. Both options are fantastic. Be sure to pack plenty of water.
This hike gives you everything that is magic about the Smokies: dense, moss covered forest, panoramic mountain views, rocky outcroppings, wildlife. It is a must do for anyone in the region.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Sunday, July 24, 2016

All up hill from the Newfound Gap Overlook for the 2.7 miles we hiked it. The trail is beautiful and very rocky, my boyfriend and I were very happy to have had our trekking poles. When we reached the peak, it was cool to see we were above the clouds. Wildlife seen was minimal: a bunny and a bluejay. There were a lot of people out hiking including young people, it was nice to see so many out enjoying nature.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Strenuous, following along narrow passages lined with cable wire. Outstanding expansive views, on a clear day, you can see for miles. Trail is wet and it is easy to experience a pop up rain cloud. Snow adds a level of danger, crampons are advised. There are healthy amounts of kinglets and other birds, black ticks and bees/yellow jackets at Cliff Point- please be watchful if you decide to munch on food while enjoying the views. Overall, worth the adventure!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The trail starts 2.7 miles up the App Trail from new found gap over look so I count that as part of the over all hike making it almost 8 miles to La Conte.
I did this hike Sunday April 10th and I wasn't excepting so much snow. The (AT) was some what icy making it a slow hike. The real adventure started once I was on the boulevard trail. After a short downward walk the snow really started to get deep 4-6 inches thank goodness the wind was almost nonexistent that day or I would've been very cold. The trail drops downward for what seamed to be a mile or two. Then the snow seemed to get less as I continued down in elevation. I couldn't help but think as much downhill as I was doing there was going to all a lot of uphill to reach the summit of la Conte. I wasn't wrong. After 4 hours of downs and ups the snow and ice return for the final up hill battle. The over looks were very pretty with huge panoramic views of the Tennessee Valley. I will not lie I was very tired when I reached the summit. Then it's another .7 tenths of a mile to the lodge. Needless to say I was exhausted and after some thought I decided I would not return to new found gap by way of the Boulevard trail instead after a lunch break at the lodge made my way down the mountain by way Alum cave trail . Thank goodness I have US Cellular they're the only ones that have service at the lodge. I made a quick phone call to family members in North Carolina and had them meet me at the bottom saving me the grueling track through the snow and ice back to the Appalachian trail. The hole day trip was 14 miles and was done in 8 hours. I might return in the summer and try it again but I will never do it in April again.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Great trail to Mt LeConte with lots of moderate up and down. In the fall, there are several spots along the way that have terrific views. About 3700 feet in total elevation change one way. Must plan in advance if you want to stay overnight at LeConte Lodge.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Love this trail so much! Very gradual up and downs.

Friday, October 30, 2015

We started this trail around 8 am, and had the trail almost to ourselves. We hiked up the Alum Cove trail and then to the top. Alum Cove was mundane; however, the trail to the peak was the best trail we've attempted to date. Steep in spots and it can get slick when it's raining. Once we completed the trail, we heard that most that hiked to the top were there to stay over. The views were stunning. It's WINDY so no matter the temp, bring a jacket. This trail gets a 10 hands down. It's challenging, its beautiful, it's a clean trail and if I lived close, I would do it at least once a month.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

It is an endeavor to do as a day hike. There are some great views on the trail and some pretty serious climbs.

Monday, September 21, 2015