Myrtle Point and Mount LeConte via Alum Cave Trail

Myrtle Point and Mount LeConte via Alum Cave Trail is a 11.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from March until November.

cave

Amazing trail. You get walk over several log bridges over the stream, have a snack under the bluffs, and begin the strenuous trek towards LaConte. Lots of great views along the way on cliffs. Once you reach LaConte, you'll find lodging, a store and dining cabin open until 4pm (at least in October.) The dining cabin has many places to relax and offers bottomless hot chocolate and coffee. Mount LaConte Peak is covered by trees and only noticeable through a large pile of rocks. You must keep heading towards Myrtle Point to get the rewarding view that this trail offers. Cliff Tops is also worth seeing, which is only around .03 miles from LaConte Lodge. It took around 7 hours altogether and the best trail I have been on.

this trail was very strenuous. ascending all the way to the top. it took my husband and I over 5 hours to get to myrtle point and 2 1/2 hours to get back down. now we did take quite a few much needed breaks on the way up but we barely stopped at all on the way down. it was exhausting but I'm glad I did it. very beautiful and incredible views. worth the hike if you can do it. start early. we started at 12:20 and ended up hiking back in the dark.

Friday, December 22, 2017