Mount Leconte via Trillium Gap Loop Trail

Mount Leconte via Trillium Gap Loop Trail is a 15.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Share the trail with Llamas and walk behind a refreshing waterfall Your hike will begin along a easy wide and popular path to Grotto Falls. When you reach the falls you will follow the trail behind the falls. From this point you will start a steady climb to Trillium Gap maybe sharing the trail with the Llamas carrying supplies to Mt LeConte.At 2.8 mi you reach the junction of Brushy Mtn Trail which is a good resting point before the final 3.6 mi.There are several creek crossings which are tricky along with the rocks and roots.You trail will reach the backside of the cabins of Mt LeConte, turn left at the sign that reads "AT Shelter".The grassy path will go beside some more cabins before reaching the junction of the Boulevard and Rainbow Falls Trails.The piped spring you pass is for overnighters that can treat the water, if you need a re-fill the is a pump well near the lodge.For a lunch break you can sit on the porch of the lodge or take a side trail to the Cliff Tops and enjoy views from 6550'!Return using Trillium Gap Trail.

you will experience one of the best site's in the smilies, extremely beautiful hike, either side, you have to climb the Mountain to see the view.

Very limited views but the trillum is beautiful when blooming and it's fun to meet the lamas too!

Hiked this trail for the first time with my husband today. Loved it! The first mile or so, until you get past Grotto Falls is a bit busy, but once you pass behind almost all the traffic is gone. The trail is shared with llamas that carry goods to the lodge, so you so have to avoid droppings once in awhile, as well as mud holes. Very quiet and peaceful trail. It is a bit deceiving, as 90% of it is a gradual climb. The last 45 minutes is the toughest, especially if you didn't pace yourself during the first portion. We did see some youngsters on the trail, maybe five or six years old and they seemed to handle it well. Was more about 16 miles total round trip. The parking area is small considering how popular Grotto Falls is, but there are more areas beyond to park. Will definitely hit his trail again!

We went up Rainbow Falls on Sunday and down Trillium Gap on Monday - stayed overnight at the top - Rainbow was closed Monday and wanted to see the llamas coming up. While there are not many views except at the top [esp if you go to Cliff Tops], there are lots of waterfalls on this loop, and you'll see deer and different kinds of birds, and the llamas are cool. Count on encountering crowds along the Grotto Falls portion, unless you are there very early or late. Rainbow Falls not so crowded, and the section between Rainbow and Grotto Falls trailheads is a nice respite from the crowds entirely. A tough workout if you do it all in one day.

No squirrels present

This is a fantastic hike. Great views, awesome waterfalls. Is a butt kicker but worth it!

Mount Leconte via Rainbow Falls Trail (out and back) with 1/2m Rocky Spur Overlook side Trail added in. Great Hike! We stopped in for a bagged lunch, coffee and refilled our water bottles at The Mt Leconte Lodge. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly. Glad we pushed on to the top, but definitely felt it coming back down. Some fire damage. Total mileage was 14.3

The best.

I love this trail. It has it all.

Monday, October 10, 2016

I didn't do this particular trail, however I did go up rainbow falls then up to Mount Le Conte from there. You've got go. It was awesome. I went on a cloudy rainy day and it was still great. Started at 1:40 and got to the top at 5:40. By 6:50 on the way back down it was already dark between the evening light and the fog. So definitely get an earlier start. But, definitely a hard trail, but I highly recommend it. Also, beware, the maps don't follow every turn. You just have to keep going because the map won't help much. Also, I came back down bullhead trail. (Side note: keep your feet dry, bring a sweatshirt in your backpack, and flashlight.)

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Great hike! We took the Trillium Gap trail up and the Alum Cave trail down. It was a long day but so worth it!

Amazing. Hard. Beautiful.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Great hike. This my son and I's first time hiking the Smokys. Saw the Llama train on the way up. My best friend was along with us. Physically demanding. Beautiful. Water at the top at the Lodge. We stayed in the shelter.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A great hike. Long so plan accordingly. Happy hiking!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

As a novice it was extremely difficult. But then, we hiked in the remnants of hurricane Joaquin. It took us almost 12 hours because we left late and hiked in the dark with only one headlamp. Still, I loved it so much I am going back.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

I did this for first time 10.11.15. I started in the afternoon and missed much of the busy morning crowd. It was definitely packed out, but I had a good time on my own and made great time. ~3,000’ elevation change, took me 4 hours to hike solo! Great views at the top and all the way up. I loved Alum Cave on the way up, great break spot and beautiful photos.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

The trail was very hard to do it but We love it because it was so challenge My first time to hike 6 miles to Mt Lecount and come back the same day weather excellent better impossible but We finished in 6 and half hours for us a record the sensation amazing I recommend this trail maybe is not the better but push yourself..

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Completed this trail in May, it was a bit to humid at lower elevation and the annoying flying critters were coming to life. Not a lot of views after the falls but the trail was in good shape. Being from the country and comfortable in nature myself, made it funny listening to all the comments when the llama poo was heavy... they had made a resupply run the day before.

Friday, June 05, 2015

Absolutely loved this trail. I plan on doing the other trails was well.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Incredible view all the way up. Loved grotto falls as well as the lodge on LeConte. My favorite part was Myrtle Point