Mount Leconte via Trillium Gap Loop Trail

Mount Leconte via Trillium Gap Loop Trail is a 14.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Share the trail with Llamas and walk behind a refreshing waterfall Your hike will begin along a easy wide and popular path to Grotto Falls. When you reach the falls you will follow the trail behind the falls. From this point you will start a steady climb to Trillium Gap maybe sharing the trail with the Llamas carrying supplies to Mt LeConte.At 2.8 mi you reach the junction of Brushy Mtn Trail which is a good resting point before the final 3.6 mi.There are several creek crossings which are tricky along with the rocks and roots.You trail will reach the backside of the cabins of Mt LeConte, turn left at the sign that reads "AT Shelter".The grassy path will go beside some more cabins before reaching the junction of the Boulevard and Rainbow Falls Trails.The piped spring you pass is for overnighters that can treat the water, if you need a re-fill the is a pump well near the lodge.For a lunch break you can sit on the porch of the lodge or take a side trail to the Cliff Tops and enjoy views from 6550'!Return using Trillium Gap Trail.

you will experience one of the best site's in the smilies, extremely beautiful hike, either side, you have to climb the Mountain to see the view.

Very limited views but the trillum is beautiful when blooming and it's fun to meet the lamas too!

Hiked this trail for the first time with my husband today. Loved it! The first mile or so, until you get past Grotto Falls is a bit busy, but once you pass behind almost all the traffic is gone. The trail is shared with llamas that carry goods to the lodge, so you so have to avoid droppings once in awhile, as well as mud holes. Very quiet and peaceful trail. It is a bit deceiving, as 90% of it is a gradual climb. The last 45 minutes is the toughest, especially if you didn't pace yourself during the first portion. We did see some youngsters on the trail, maybe five or six years old and they seemed to handle it well. Was more about 16 miles total round trip. The parking area is small considering how popular Grotto Falls is, but there are more areas beyond to park. Will definitely hit his trail again!

We went up Rainbow Falls on Sunday and down Trillium Gap on Monday - stayed overnight at the top - Rainbow was closed Monday and wanted to see the llamas coming up. While there are not many views except at the top [esp if you go to Cliff Tops], there are lots of waterfalls on this loop, and you'll see deer and different kinds of birds, and the llamas are cool. Count on encountering crowds along the Grotto Falls portion, unless you are there very early or late. Rainbow Falls not so crowded, and the section between Rainbow and Grotto Falls trailheads is a nice respite from the crowds entirely. A tough workout if you do it all in one day.

No squirrels present

This is a fantastic hike. Great views, awesome waterfalls. Is a butt kicker but worth it!

Mount Leconte via Rainbow Falls Trail (out and back) with 1/2m Rocky Spur Overlook side Trail added in. Great Hike! We stopped in for a bagged lunch, coffee and refilled our water bottles at The Mt Leconte Lodge. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly. Glad we pushed on to the top, but definitely felt it coming back down. Some fire damage. Total mileage was 14.3

Saturday, March 11, 2017

The best.

Monday, February 20, 2017

I love this trail. It has it all.

Monday, October 10, 2016

I didn't do this particular trail, however I did go up rainbow falls then up to Mount Le Conte from there. You've got go. It was awesome. I went on a cloudy rainy day and it was still great. Started at 1:40 and got to the top at 5:40. By 6:50 on the way back down it was already dark between the evening light and the fog. So definitely get an earlier start. But, definitely a hard trail, but I highly recommend it. Also, beware, the maps don't follow every turn. You just have to keep going because the map won't help much. Also, I came back down bullhead trail. (Side note: keep your feet dry, bring a sweatshirt in your backpack, and flashlight.)

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Great hike! We took the Trillium Gap trail up and the Alum Cave trail down. It was a long day but so worth it!

Amazing. Hard. Beautiful.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Great hike. This my son and I's first time hiking the Smokys. Saw the Llama train on the way up. My best friend was along with us. Physically demanding. Beautiful. Water at the top at the Lodge. We stayed in the shelter.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A great hike. Long so plan accordingly. Happy hiking!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

As a novice it was extremely difficult. But then, we hiked in the remnants of hurricane Joaquin. It took us almost 12 hours because we left late and hiked in the dark with only one headlamp. Still, I loved it so much I am going back.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

I did this for first time 10.11.15. I started in the afternoon and missed much of the busy morning crowd. It was definitely packed out, but I had a good time on my own and made great time. ~3,000’ elevation change, took me 4 hours to hike solo! Great views at the top and all the way up. I loved Alum Cave on the way up, great break spot and beautiful photos.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

The trail was very hard to do it but We love it because it was so challenge My first time to hike 6 miles to Mt Lecount and come back the same day weather excellent better impossible but We finished in 6 and half hours for us a record the sensation amazing I recommend this trail maybe is not the better but push yourself..

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Completed this trail in May, it was a bit to humid at lower elevation and the annoying flying critters were coming to life. Not a lot of views after the falls but the trail was in good shape. Being from the country and comfortable in nature myself, made it funny listening to all the comments when the llama poo was heavy... they had made a resupply run the day before.

Friday, June 05, 2015

Absolutely loved this trail. I plan on doing the other trails was well.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Incredible view all the way up. Loved grotto falls as well as the lodge on LeConte. My favorite part was Myrtle Point

Thursday, May 21, 2015

I've done this trail two times and it's incredible. It's quite a hike but it's not too taxing. The views along the trail are amazing and the fact that the drop offs this trail has aren't railed make the experience even better. Near the summit, there's a LeConte Lodge that serves food/drinks from around 11:00 to 15:00 to those passing by. The prices are slightly inflated but what's to expect? They do take debit, however the charge will pens for at most a month due to the cheques having to go down the mountain via alpaca. The summit offers superb views and overlooks Gatlinburg (it can be seen in the distance.) and is worth the hike.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Nice enough trail. For me, it doesn't compare to the Alum Cave Bluff Trail for hiking to Mt. LoConte. There is lots of Llama poop on the trail, because thats how they get meat and small supplies to Mt. LeConte. I'll say this though. All three trails I've been on to get to Mt. LeConte were worth hiking. Give it a try. It's easier than Alum Cave Bluff, but still a moderate hike. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Nice trail. I had a little bit of a hard time getting over the fact that you could see the road for the first mile or so. Luckily the road was closed so there wasn't any traffic. Once it was out of site it was great. Not real difficult but if you're not used to hiking you might be a little sore. We were only able to make it to Grotto Falls since we were limited on time so I definitely want to do it again and get all the way up to LeConte.

Monday, March 11, 2013

We did Grotto Falls Trail to Trillium Gap Trail, for 14 miles round trip, the falls are cool the trail takes you behind the falls. If you go on Tuesday you will see the Lamas that take the supplies to the lodge. Getting pictures at Grotto Falls is very difficult, do to the overwhelming number of people, but once you pass the falls there is little to no one on the trail. This is one of the best trails to see the change of color in the the fall. The lodge is a great place to rest and get a cup of cider, however; if you plan on staying you need to make your reservations ASAP, there is typically a 1 year wait.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Hiked down after our overnight at the lodge. It was melting snow and wore our yaks most of the way down to the falls. Worth the trip and checked off another trail on my bucket list.

Saturday, June 02, 2012

We hiked this trail down from our overnight stay at Leconte. We chose this trail and timed it so we would see the llamas heading up to Leconte with supplies. When we got to The Brushy Mountain trail we did the short trek to the end. There are awesome views of Leconte and many flowers. On the way down we did run into the Llamas. The overall hike was easy coming down but was long due to where we parked. Grotto Falls was great and the trail goes behind the falls. We saw a very unique lizard that was red and green. Once we reached the car there was a rattlesnake in the road with three crows pestering it.

Eric and Karen

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Took this trail when the mountain had snow, there were no views because of the cloud cover. I have been up the other four trails and this one did not seen a strenuos as the other I'd like to do this one again in better weather & when the pack lamas are on the trail.