Learn more

Mount Cammerer Loop - Low Gap and Lower Cammerer

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(24)
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Mount Cammerer Loop - Low Gap and Lower Cammerer is a 16.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cosby, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 16.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,448 feet Route Type: Loop

Intense hike with packs on the low gap. The hike at the end to reach the top was no better, but not as long. This was quite the workout. Make sure you’re prepared with water / your essentials as there’s really no way out once you’re moving. I thought I’d never see the end but the views were incredible and very much worth it. I’ll never forget it.

Such a great trail. We had quite a bit of snow getting up there and spend a night at Cosby Knob shelter the day before. Highly recommend it.

Fun trail- went 1/25/20 steady up hill from Cosby campground. Trail is relatively smooth. Tower is worth going to if it’s clear, if it’s cloudy I wouldn’t waste my time (especially if it’s cold, like 20’s or lower). AT is rocky but trail gets smoother on the lower Mt. Cammer trail. Bring good boots, many creek crossings after the tower.

This hike left me with mixed feelings. The Low Gap Trail was a steady, steep, not too interesting hike with loads of horse poop. The Appalachian Tr portion was incredible. Summit View: incredible. And then the Lower Mount Camnarer trail was rather boring and felt really long.

very doable as a one day hike. I intended to do the low gap there and back, but I quickly realized the 3 miles into the hike you're pretty much done with the climb. Walking around the tower, although shortened by the threat of rain which never came, was amazing. I recommend low gap up and lower cammerer down because lower cammerer can be a bit monotonous. Apparently there's a graveyard on lower cammerer that I missed, but I did have a lengthy standoff with a black snake. All in all this is probably the easiest loop trail you could do in the park and the Mt. Cammerer Tower is amazing.

I hiked Lower Gap up to the outlook tower this past weekend from 11PM - 2:30AM. Hiking up the mountain by moonlight was one of the best hiking experiences I have ever had! Great moonlight views. I slept in the outlook tower since and watch the sun rise early in the morning then hiked back and finished the loop. The views are amazing!

We did this entire loop in one day with full packs on. We weren’t planning on it, just decided to hoof it out once we made it to campsite 35. Our route was Low Gap > AT > Mt. Cammerer > AT > Lower Mt. Cammerer, starting and ending in Cosby Campground. Low Gap is a climb. I believe about 2200ft in 2.5 miles, if you go that route from Cosby. All in all, we climbed around 2600ft in 5-6 miles from Cosby to the fire tower on Mt. Cammerer. Definitely a workout, but the view is worth it. The fire tower is beautiful, and you can see for miles on a clear day. You’ll be able to see into NC and TN. The rest of the trip down was easy compared to the first leg. The AT descends from Mt. Cammerer heading north. Lower Mount Cammerer is an easy hike heading down and pretty. You can find an old graveyard just off Lower Mt. Cammerer with numerous headstones. None but one has print on it, which is dated to 1912. Good hike and the views are worth it!

After completing this loop, my app recorded over 5,000 ft elevation gain, this is a tough loop. Obviously climbing Low Gap is the most strenuous section, and reaching the AT is very rewarding. Mt Cammerer firetower is a very interesting area, very good views, very very crowded! I followed the AT down to the Lower Mt Cammerer trail to loop back to Cosby (stayed overnight at #35). Note that here I kept getting “off trail” notifications from AllTrails, so if you’re recording don’t be alarmed by that. You can check my recording and see how it goes all over and around the designated path. Campsite #35 was very nice. Great overnight trip!

Great hike. Frogs, salamanders, bears, blueberries, raspberries, chicken of the woods. We went clockwise and stayed at campsite 35. Very cleared out, could fit many people. Bear pully at campsite. Quartz everywhere at the top. Tower is amazing.

Sun May 26 2019

Did this on a crisp fall day. Low Gap is steep so you get the hard climb out of the way. Cammerer and the tower are spectacular—great views in all directions. Lower Cammerer was a great stroll with lots of solitude. Great hike.

Mon May 20 2019

First 4 miles are basically all uphill and a grind, but after that you’re pretty much cruising! Fire tower at the summit is awesome, well kept trail with great views and flowers!

Sat Nov 17 2018

Trail conditions were wonderful. Bugs were not really out yet. This was one of the first big over night hikes my wife and I did together. I had researched and spoke to the rangers when I was making my camp reservations and I knew it was going to be a challenge. I was ready for it but my wife, not as ready (I may have played it down in the difficulty department). She was not thrilled and I had to really push her to make it to the summit. Once you leave the summit, its a lot of downhill which was a life saver in order to make it to campsite 37 (there are technically 3 sites ,ABC, but they are not well divided and we were not aware once we made it to camp). Second day was a lot easier, we didn't really see any wild life but we did run into some snow and icy paths that we weren't expecting but it was fine. Picture perfect views, tons of access to water so don't hike in a ton unless you don't have filters or tablets it will save you on the incline. Would totally do it again and recommend to anyone.

Thu Oct 25 2018

started off on chesnut branch up to cammerer, dropped packs at the spur trail. went down walnut bottom and camped at 37. nice spot, with all the warning I did think a bear was going to eat me but the worst thing to happen was a mouse kept bothering my friend and I. hiked up sterling trail 2 miles but turned around to big creek due to weather change. great trail

Wed Sep 12 2018

Poured rain the whole time were boxed in by clouds. Can only imagine how great this hike would be on a clear day.

Sun Jul 01 2018

It’s a steep ascent either way. The lower Cramerer trail is longer, I believe. Backcountry camped at spot 35 and then did the rest of the loop to the top the next day. Was a little disappointed that there wasn’t more to see on the way up to the top. A great reward waits for you though!

Sat Dec 30 2017

I went up Long Gap (definitely some good hills and switchbacks) then came down low cammerer. It was long coming down but very gently declining for the most part for 9 or so miles. Trail temps varied a lot- a little snow along the way and snowing too, then warmer and lush in the sun. Took me 8 hours. A nice long day hike. The skies were clear today and the views from the fire tower were gorgeous!

Mon Nov 06 2017

went up the lower cammerer trail, longggg. great views. would say going up the low gap, even though steep and rocky, would be easier with a low grade descent on the lower cammerer

Sun Apr 22 2018