Mossy Ridge Trail

Mossy Ridge Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Nashville, Tennessee that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 797 feet Route Type: Loop

poorly marked

I did the whole loop on a hot day and it was somewhat strenuous. Incline, decline, incline, decline. Even my dog was worn by the end. Would DEFINITELY do it again.

Great hike just not much to see and lots of city noise

Great for trail running and mostly shaded.

Love this trail. It’s well-marked, relatively easy, and accessible.

Really nice, peaceful trail. Looking forward to doing the whole loop when we have more time. Parked at the Chickering Trailhead and it was a nice easy in and out.

Great trail. Good hike. Challenging at times. no views or water to see. otherwise lots of fun.

Love this trail! It takes about 2 hours if you walk at a moderate, relaxed pace. It’s shaded most of the way, and the tiny baby trickling ‘waterfall’ is so nice to stop at to cool down. Theres a few spots where you have to climb a bit, but it’s super doable. There’s also an old structure with just the floor and chimney remaining near the trailhead that I always stop at when I’m finished to unwind for a bit. I believe it was built by or for Boy Scouts a long time ago. Overall, this is my favorite trail to do in town!

Two friends and I did this trail with our dogs and it was beautiful! It was so green and beautiful. This trail is definitely moderate as there is a lot of steep-ish uphill hiking. The ONLY downside to this trail is that it’s very ticky! We found numerous ticks crawling on our dogs and then I picked at least 10 total off my dogs once I got home. I only say this because I use a seresto collar and a natural spray to help repel ticks!

I love this trail! It can be a running trail, but there are some rock/root-filled spots where you’ll need to walk. Gorgeous scenery and secluded, but still well-traveled.

Nice, mostly shaded trail. Well marked. Saw plenty of squirrels, chipmunks, and even two owls.

A great easier trail! My first hike in TN after moving from Colorado, so definitely less strenuous than a moderate rating over there. We did see a snake on the trail yesterday in one of the grassy areas, so be careful with dogs/kids. Only downside was the stretch where you could see and hear the highway, but otherwise it was pleasant and super well maintained!

made me sweat like hell!

Great for a hike with your dog! It wasn’t too busy when we went around 9 on a Friday. A few steep inclines and declines but definitely an overall moderate climb!

Really beautiful hike on a humid but not hot day. Nice level of challenge. The dripping spring was a welcome surprise.

Well marked - easy to follow. Took an Uber from Vanderbilt and was not hard to catch an Uber back. Mossy ridge is a great trail with good climbs.

A nice hike with plenty of steep grades to get the blood flowing. Wide paths and plenty of shade. The trail could be quite dangerous in wet weather.

Can’t believe I’ve lived in Nashville for as long as I have and not done this trail. It is absolutely beautiful and serene and was a perfect day spent with my daughter. Time slowed down.

One of the best local trails around. Good workout if you’re looking for something more challenging than a simple walk. Also, lots of shade so it’s very doable on a hot summer day!

It’s a lifesaver for nature hounds who dwell in Nashville

Wonderful trail! Definitely some uphill portions. Saw a lot of chipmunks and an owl.

The trail is one of the few trails that has had any hills since we moved to TN, so it was a welcome change! Very shaded and well marked. There is a paved path that runs through it at parts. Good for dogs, lots of trail runners- careful going down hill when it’s wet as it is quite steep in places. It was fairly crowded for a rainy Sunday. Saw at least 20 groups of people for a 5 mile walk, so it seemed more than moderately used to me. Really well maintained, will come back.