Mossy Ridge Trail Via Cane Connector Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(136)
Percy Warner Park

Mossy Ridge Trail Via Cane Connector Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nashville, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 859 feet Route Type: Loop

Super fun trail! I will be doing this one again soon!

Really great place to hike. Definitely recommend.

First of all this trail is NOT EASY! It’s moderate to difficult, more leaning to the difficult side. I think because the Cain Creek trail is flat, that’s why it was rated that way. The mossy ridge trail is not easy. Next time I hike this trail, I will most likely just skip the Cain creek way of getting there, as it’s not very interesting, but had a few creek crossings so your dog may find some fun in that. There is also a crossing of old hickory blvd (an extremely busy Nashville road), so probably best to go straight to the missy ridge trailhead. The mossy ridge loop itself is a beautiful trail, winding up and down steep hills through dense, old forest, filled with large, old trees and some creeks. At one point you cross a small waterfall that is pretty. I really liked this trail because it makes you feel like you aren’t in Nashville, very great wilderness for such close proximity to the city. It is VERY Hill so makes for great exercise as well. I would recommend this trail to anyone. It’s a very nice 2.5-3.5 hour hike.

This trail is certainly more moderate than easy. Lots of rocky hills and ups and downs - parts would have been challenging without hiking shoes or poles. Beautiful greenery, quite a lot of wildflowers, and some fun creeks on the Cane Connecter for our dog to enjoy. It was a bit more crowded than I expected for a weekday and there isn’t much space on the trail for social distancing - probably not the best option if you want to maintain 6 feet from others.

This is a lifesaver if you live in Nashville. One of the best trails in the area.

Phone read 6.19m in 1:25:45 with 701ft of gain. Cool loop that is heavily trafficked. Couple water crossings with bridges near the beginning. One really neat “falls” crossing that is very slick with an option to go around.

Some Parts were very wet. But beautiful day to build immune systems!!

Great trail. But I wouldn’t describe it as easy at all. Pretty strenuous.

Very strenuous trail For two novice hikers.

LOTS of elevation! Well trafficked in a good way

Great hike. Shaded 95% of they way. I would say this is more moderate than easy.

Red and Blur

One of my favorite trails in Nashville. Started at the field station and well house off of hwy 100. Usually muddy after rain but doesn’t take away at all from the great hike that it is. I went to the ‘Quiet Point’ an optional out-and-back segment connected to the trail.

Fri Nov 30 2018

Great place to hike , good workout. I have seen deer, turkey and even a few coyotes. I will definitely go back. PEACE

Sun Nov 04 2018

Best trail running in the area with good climbs. The loop is 4.5 miles, the connector is 1 mile and one of several ways to access the loop. This is the longest access method, some shorter options are Deep Wells entrance and Chickering entrance.

Wed May 16 2018

Great trail. Total workout

Sat May 12 2018

We hike Percy Warner regularly. The red trail is the toughest but I would categorize it as a moderate. The white trail is easier both are good for beginning hikers.

Sun Sep 10 2017

I've hiked this trail many times over the years. There are many ways to enter this 6.2 mile loop. I've usually entered via the Edwin warner/cane connector trail but that does require crossing a busy highway. The "deep well" or the belle Meade entrances will also suffice. It's considered "easy" but the frequent up and down is pretty steep and full of hidden roots and shale like rocks. It's a fun trail that includes a seasonal waterfall and remains of "Betsy Ross" cabin which was built in the 1930's by the Boy Scouts. One last thing. There are numerous horse trails that transect the official trail and it is easy to accidentally wonder onto those trails.

Sun Jun 04 2017

Great hike and challenging ups and downs. Easily confusing if you don't know your path, just follow the designated path- color marked on the tree or markers point.

Tue Apr 11 2017

It seems like there is a lot of confusion about this trail based on the other reviews. This trail takes you on the Mossy Ridge loop in Percy Warner park with a walk to and from the loop on the Cane Connector Trail which runs between Percy Warner and Edwin Warner parks. The connector trail is nothing special and involves a road crossing with fair visibility and traffic. Mossy Ridge itself is a solid loop without any spectacular views but plenty of good hills and excellent trail condition. Overall it is a fun loop with great proximity to Nashville relative to comparable trails. While this route is fine, Mossy Ridge is probably better walked from the Percy Warner trailhead, bypassing Cane Connector altogether. Alternatively, the other loop in Edwin Warner has better views on a shorter loop.

Sat Nov 05 2016

So please don't do this after dark. I started on the mossy ridge trail. The sun set much earlier than me and my boyfriend hoped. Since both trails started at the same place, I just assumed they were just one big loop. Well we accidentally ended up on the cane connecter trail somehow. We ended up at the parking lot, which was a 20 minutes DRIVE from where we parked. (((:

Wed Sep 07 2016

Trails are easy and the woods are beautiful during the warmer months. Also, there are trails available for horseback riding, frequently marked, which I seldom see.

Wed Jan 06 2016