Mossy Ridge Trail

Mossy Ridge Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nashville, Tennessee that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike, moderate inclines, be sure to bring water! Stopped towards the end on a secluded bench to have a picnic lunch!

An enjoyable trail run that turned into a hike. I went after office hours on a weekday and saw appx 6 people on trail.

Great hike if living in the Nashville area. I enjoy it because it's easily accessible after a day at the office and can get some good incline along with miles without it being too far outside the city. I recommend bringing hiking poles. There are some steep areas and the poles make it nice. I hiked it during dusk and you see all sorts of wildlife at that time.

It was a nice change of scenery just outside of Nashville. Lots of trail runners. The terrain is fairly rocky with occasional smooth dirt coverage. Fairly maintained trail with good shade. I found this to be a pretty strenuous hike, took 2.5 hours to complete loop taking a water break every couple miles. 6.2 miles total in and out.

Very enjoyable with such varied terrain. Lots of trail traffic but everyone was very nice and enjoying the morning temperatures. Hats off to those running the trail.

Beautiful trail!

Lots of hikers and runners on Saturday morning but that is to be expected. Beautiful tall trees. Trail is a bit narrow in places and the elevation changes make it seem longer than expected.

Lots of traffic but still a nice challenge.

Had no map but iPhone recorded our hike at 5.78 miles, but we had the impression we might have doubled up one segment. Or maybe the extra was from the parking lot at Deep Hole Trailhead. Great hike. Lots of up and down ... some at the extreme for walking. Highly recommended.

This was a really nice morning hike in June. The weather was great this day- about 77 degrees and sunny. Although I was hiking in the woods (lots of shade now) and the temperature was lower. There was a slight breeze too.
The trail is well beaten- smooth (some rocks but mostly clay) from lots of hikers and trail runners. This was a moderate trail with lots of ups and downs- one grade had to be 40 degrees up. The condition of the trail was dry today and I can’t say how slippery it would be if raining and wet.
All in all I would definitely recommend this trail. However not for the faint in heart. I would do it again when in town. Thanks to all the trail maintainers.

A beautiful hike with challenging trails

Ran yesterday, new to the area. An awesome trail with lots of elevation change for anyone wanting to train. 10/10 would recommend

I was in town at a weekend conference so this was a nice little find right outside of Nashville. I honestly didn't expect much, but it was a nice challenge, especially to just randomly up and do on our midday intermission. It's definitely worth the moderate rating as some of the guys in our crew didn't quite make it to dinner that night after being worn out from the elevation changes on this trail. I'd suggest being in somewhat decent shape before attempting and probably wouldn't recommend it for elderly people hoping for a flat hike.

Great to go early morning on the weekend - lovely trail with lots of ups and downs. Well maintained and great for hiking or trail running.

Good hike in big city. Lots of traffic. Fun times. Recommend to all hikers. Good trail run also.

Easy to get to, well maintained and nice variation in the terrain. Twice through makes for a great workout, whether running or hiking. Hiking usually takes about 1hr-1hr15m per loop.

We love all the options here! Paved, dirt, flat, mountain, long, short, etc.

Very good hike. Did this on a rainy day so there was really no one else around. Quiet and peaceful.

My "Go To" since I reside about 6 miles from the Deep Well Trailhead. Have hiked it since moving to Tennessee in the late 80's... Never gets old....

Update for 1/25/18: A group of us hike this trail fairly regularly and it makes for a great moderate day hike. But this particular trip, there was still a lot of water seeping out of the ground from the recent snow and we encountered a good bit of sticky mud. That made the hike much less enjoyable than normal. Would strongly recommend giving this trail another week for the trail to dry out.

Kinda fun. Got my car broken into. Be careful

Its a nice trail and a nice peaceful walk through the woods, however thats all it is. No great views or falls or anything too scenic to see. Can get crowded. Good day hike near the city if youre not looking to travel too far

I love the trail itself, but so many people let their dogs off leash.

Fun little day loop. Enough elevation to challenge your calves but manageable even trail for the most part! Could be sketchy in the rain but on a dry day it’s a beautiful trail.

Obsessed with this trail. Great challenge

I love that this trail is available in the city and is part of a system. You could easily stitch together all the Warner Park trails and get around 12 miles of hiking in without ever having to leave the city.

This trail has its ups, its downs, its in-betweens. That is to say it’s not boring. A challenging route for beginner trail runners. If you go right now be careful as the ground is covered with leaves. 

LOTS of leaves covering the trail right now. Moderate traffic on the trail. Water was low on the Spring, which was expected. Great variation in elevation. Several trail runners. Great trail marks. Took us around an hour and 45 minutes to do the entire loop. Bring water. Loved this trail!

1st trail running in my life.
Good to start your trail run career at this place!

Great trail that provides a good workout. I went in expecting a 4.5 mile hike, but with the connector trail from the Chickering entrance, my Fitbit registered almost six miles. It took me just over two hours to complete. Consistently hilly with about one pretty challenging climb per mile. The trail is dirt and gravel so I think it could be hazardous on some of the steeper climbs/descents when it’s wet. I would have given it five stars if there had been a great lookout or more wildlife. It’s really just all woods and squirrels. Traffic on the trail was consistent but didn’t feel busy. Overall I found this to be a nice trail to hike and a good workout. I’ll definitely add it into my rotation.