Mossy Ridge Trail

Mossy Ridge Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nashville, Tennessee that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very good hike. Did this on a rainy day so there was really no one else around. Quiet and peaceful.

My "Go To" since I reside about 6 miles from the Deep Well Trailhead. Have hiked it since moving to Tennessee in the late 80's... Never gets old....

Update for 1/25/18: A group of us hike this trail fairly regularly and it makes for a great moderate day hike. But this particular trip, there was still a lot of water seeping out of the ground from the recent snow and we encountered a good bit of sticky mud. That made the hike much less enjoyable than normal. Would strongly recommend giving this trail another week for the trail to dry out.

Kinda fun. Got my car broken into. Be careful

Its a nice trail and a nice peaceful walk through the woods, however thats all it is. No great views or falls or anything too scenic to see. Can get crowded. Good day hike near the city if youre not looking to travel too far

I love the trail itself, but so many people let their dogs off leash.

Fun little day loop. Enough elevation to challenge your calves but manageable even trail for the most part! Could be sketchy in the rain but on a dry day it’s a beautiful trail.

Obsessed with this trail. Great challenge

I love that this trail is available in the city and is part of a system. You could easily stitch together all the Warner Park trails and get around 12 miles of hiking in without ever having to leave the city.

This trail has its ups, its downs, its in-betweens. That is to say it’s not boring. A challenging route for beginner trail runners. If you go right now be careful as the ground is covered with leaves. 

LOTS of leaves covering the trail right now. Moderate traffic on the trail. Water was low on the Spring, which was expected. Great variation in elevation. Several trail runners. Great trail marks. Took us around an hour and 45 minutes to do the entire loop. Bring water. Loved this trail!

1st trail running in my life.
Good to start your trail run career at this place!

Great trail that provides a good workout. I went in expecting a 4.5 mile hike, but with the connector trail from the Chickering entrance, my Fitbit registered almost six miles. It took me just over two hours to complete. Consistently hilly with about one pretty challenging climb per mile. The trail is dirt and gravel so I think it could be hazardous on some of the steeper climbs/descents when it’s wet. I would have given it five stars if there had been a great lookout or more wildlife. It’s really just all woods and squirrels. Traffic on the trail was consistent but didn’t feel busy. Overall I found this to be a nice trail to hike and a good workout. I’ll definitely add it into my rotation.

One of my favorite hikes. A good challenge!

Very close to Nashville. If you're trying to get to this trail I'd recommend starting at Chickering Trailhead; if you just search it via Google Maps it'll take you somewhere in the middle of Percy Warner and then you'll get lost trying to find the trail. The trail itself is well-maintained and lined with red markers so once you're on it it's very easy to follow. No payoffs (there's a small lookout bench that branches off at one point in the trail but that's about it) but it's a nice quick hike in the woods that's v conveniently located.

If you're just getting into hiking and live in Nashville this would probably be a good place to start! Also, if you're looking to add mileage to your hike, you can take the Cane Connector Trail to Edwin Warner Park (just follow the signs and striped markers) and check out some of the trails there before heading back and completing Mossy Ridge.

Definitely on the hard side of moderate, but it's a great workout with great views.

Good local practice trail for backpacking trips.

Did this trail in 2 and a half hours with a baby strapped to me. I really enjoyed it, it's challenging, but scenic and peaceful. Went on a Sunday morning and the parking lot was full, but the trail wasn't the least bit crowded. Lots of great climbs!