Montgomery Bell Trail

Montgomery Bell Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burns, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Park Office/Visitor Center: 615-797-9052 1020 Jackson Hill Road Burns, TN 37029

The trail wasn’t very well marked in few places. People aren’t picking up dog poo on the trail. A couple miles of the trail are only 50 yards from a highway. The parts of the trail deeper into the woods and near the lake were really nice.

Slightly confusing. But still an awesome trail. Great for dogs!

MBSP is better for trail running than hiking. For a hike, driving this far out of Nashville I would have preferred less disturbances from trash, construction noise, lawn mowers, golf carts and passing motorists. Not many views to make up for lack of wilderness feel. I do love being on the trail but if I come back it'll only be for a run.

First ran the trail network at Montgomery Bell when participating in the Bell Ringer 50K trail run. Beautiful scenery and great terrain, definitely a place I will be running again!

I've hiking this trail a few times now and it's really not that bad. The hills can be a bit exhausting but honestly that's every hill. It's an amazing trail nonetheless. Beautiful wilderness. Wildlife every where. Can even begin to explain how many deer I've actually encountered on this trail. Absolutely beautiful and worth the hike.

Try an do the 10.5 trail every weekend love the creeks get to see a lot of wildlife,, have seen at least 5 deer on it each time also like doing the org pit trail, an spillway trail .

This is my stomping grounds .i love this trail .. It is as basic as a trail gets in Tennessee.. I would say it has moderate climbs up and down and the trail is well kept . Its plenty easy to get it done in a day trip for most any hikers at any level . I like to stay at the shelters along the trail often at night . They are as good as Iv see shelters on most park trails .nicer than most . They are grate for small group wanting to camp away from the camper area camping . Nice park and a nice trail .

Nice hike. Lovely in late spring early summer.

Attempted 3 night trip, staying at each of the 3 shelters for one night each. But 2nd night at Woodland Shelter i got hit with a terrific storm. High winds, thunder, lightning and hail over 4 hours. Torrential rains had me worried about continuing the loop, but the following morning all the water had drained away.
So i cancelled my third night due to incoming cold weather and continued the hike around the loop past the last shelter and back to my car. The trail was good and i had no troubles finding my way. The west side of the loop was the prettiest i thought. Wildcat Shelter was the best, sited on a small hill overlooking the confluence of two creeks. I intend to do this trip again in the future.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Very well maintained trail and the majority of the trail is well marked with clear small metal hiking signs. Be prepared for a long and somewhat strenuous hike, hence the multiple shelters scattered throughout the trail to rest. I would recommend this full 10.5 hike if you have good gear, energy snacks, and plenty of water.

Monday, January 16, 2017

One of the few loops I've found so far that are double digits in length. It's still technical enough to be challenging yet doesn't require as much elevation change as some of the others. Enjoyable for a day with the pup when I don't want to run into many other people.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

I took my dog here because it's one of the few that didn't specify that a dog should be on the leash. I think they are still supposed to be, but she listens so we were good.

It's a simple walk. Not anything strenuous or no spectacular views. The park is clearly marked and easy to navigate. Walking up on the spill way was awesome. The pup really liked rock hopping.

It's a good walk. I think the whole loop would be worth while.

Monday, October 24, 2016

More challenging than expected for middle TN-and much enjoyed. Relatively few people on the trail, leaves are changing. Lots of leaves on the trail covering significant number of roots and rocks- fine to walk it but wouldn't recommend trying to jog this time of year. Overall very pleased.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

This is my favorite day hike! I did the MB 10.5 mile trail in 5 hours which includes about a 20 minute stop for lunch at the Woodland shelter. The trail is a bit harder than moderate. Very rocky with lots of roots. Almost felt like hiking a mountain bike trail. Several crossings over shallow streams so take extra dry socks in case your boots/shoes are not water resistant.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

My dog and I love this place. Lots of shorter trails if you are not up to the 10 miles. Beautiful scenery and lots of natural water sources. Hall springs is a favorite!

Monday, August 29, 2016

fairly difficult trail, but beautiful!

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great hike but the whole trail is not for the faint hearted. There are several shorter trails though.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Actually, I only did the south part of the loop and returned to the trailhead following Creech Hollow Trail. Moderate hike with constant but not hard inclines. It was beautiful and we encountered only a few people.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

wonderful, just remember to watch out for snakes when walking through water.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Nice day hike with some beautiful lake views. Easy-moderate with a few moderate climbs. Enjoyable day hike. With the shelters, this could easily serve as a training shakedown hike for potential longer trips.