Montgomery Bell State Park North Loop Trail

Montgomery Bell State Park North Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burns, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Park Office/Visitor Center: 615-797-9052 1020 Jackson Hill Road Burns, TN 37029

Pretty good trail without a lot of other people on it. We didn’t find it very difficult for a trail in the woods. It was very peaceful, the type of trail to bring a snack, sit down and enjoy the sounds of nature. (We did the 6 mile trail) There aren’t any breathtaking mountain top views but if you can find beauty in the small things it’s nice. The trails were clear and well maintained. I feel like we had no problem figuring out the trail we wanted to take. (We bought a trail map to take with us just in case but didn’t really use it for directions) Compared to other wooded trails I like this one because the woods are open enough that you can see around you. There’s a shelter and fire pit on the MB trail if you wanted to do the 10 mile trail and stay overnight. I don’t know if I would go again bc there are so many other trails in the middle TN area but it’s a nice day hike.

Great trail. A little confusing as to where to pick up the trail. The park office is closed on Saturdays and Sundays which makes no sense.

We walked through a couple partials of the trails. The trails were covered in leaves so we definitely had to pay attention to the markers. Overall it’s beautiful and i will be visit again to explore more. A great, peaceful, quiet hike close to Nashville.

There are multiple places to start this trail. I parked at the information center and walked across the street and started on the Wildcat Trail. This trail is the Montgomery Bell Trail then take the Creech Hallow Trail back to the parking lot. The full Montgomery Bell Trail is a little over 10 miles.
The hike is beautiful! Only mild complaint is that I don't like being able to hear the highway traffic. Weak ankles beware there are some rocky and rooty areas of this trail. I will hike this trail again in the future. Very pretty, very well maintained, and well marked.

When they say this trail is lightly used, they weren't joking. You're going to need a branch to wave infront of you to knock the cobwebs down. Forks in the path are not clearly marked. Take your GPS to keep from ending up in someone's cow pasture. I took a wrong turn somewhere and wound up going 7.8 miles. Don't know if I would bike this trail, but it was good for hiking, trail running, and spider fighting....

Trails are easy, and park is well maintained.

Wonderful Sunday morning hike!

Saturday, January 28, 2017

I wanted a moderate walk that I could do in just a few hours and this was perfect for that (I did just the 6 mile loop)! Very well marked and maintained. A little elevation in some places but not much. No overlooks or waterfalls but several nice creek-side miles.

Sunday, January 08, 2017

My dog and I really like this trail it's beautiful and we never see a soul (maybe because it winter). There is a meadow near the lake perfect for picnicking and a shelter part way through the walk. There are other trails and the map that you can pick up at the nature center is super helpful.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

We had an absolute blast today- myself, my 17 and 14 yr old. We did the entire 10.5 with our small dog in one day and rocked it! We are not super fit but we are super stubborn and we refused to quit..... just enough hills to give us a good workout but not hard. Scenery was beautiful and the trail was well marked. I got confused for a sec and called the park office and they quickly got a park ranger to call me back and tell me what to do.... FYI, the super cool bridge that is falling apart, that's not part of the trail. We will definitely be back!

Friday, July 15, 2016

This is a beautiful hike, lots of small water crossings, easy terrain and very secluded. There is a couple of places along with way that are not clearly marked and we ended up adding an additional mile to our trip but I'm not complaining, it was still beautiful.

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Lovely secluded hike. Only did a section of it but we will be going back.

Sunday, November 08, 2015

We did the entire "White Trail" that includes the North and Southwest M Bell Trail. It came out to be around 9+ miles. Started at the North end just behind the old entrance building, ended at the Visitors centre just down the street. The entire trail was well enough marked that we had no trouble finding our way even with the ground completely covered in leaves. The North section had a few nice creek crossing but little other to add to the beautiful hardwood forest. We stopped at Cheech Hollow Lake for a snack and a sit. Deciding to complete the trail rather than cut to the car on the "Orange Trail" we doubled back. The Southern section had a lot more diversity along with a few bridge crossings.
All in all, I truly enjoyed completing the entire trail at once and feel doing it "backwards" worked best for us.

Sunday, April 05, 2015

First time on this trail. I'm a beginner and my goal is to go somewhere other than my two local spots (Dunbar cave and rotary park in Clarksville, TN) every weekend this summer and to ultimately do some weekend long hikes.
My plan was to do the 6 mile loop, but I got a little turned around and did 9.3 miles!!! The most I've ever done in one day!!! I always hike alone, I'm always looking for a hiking buddy, cause my friends always back out, But I don't mind, and honestly, I really enjoyed getting a little lost in the woods and finding my way out on my own.
I enjoyed these trails, and look forward to going again when all the trees bloom, I know it will be gorgeous then. The trails were somewhat challenging in spots, but I was able to handle it as a beginner. Several creeks to cross, lots of ups and downs, definitely never a dull moment. The trails were easy to follow in some areas, a little confusing in others, mainly where trails crossed, or you had to cross a street and get back on. I didn't mind because I had plenty of time to wander, but if you've never been, plan to get a little turned around.
I will definitely go again soon to explore more. And I would like to do the whole 10.5 mile loop.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Such a great trail with beautiful views, including a lake, valleys, and wildlife!

Saturday, May 03, 2014

Great trail overall. We went in early May and followed this exact loop - the M. Bell (white) with Creech Hollow Trail (orange) cut through. Trails were well-marked. Terrain was somewhat challenging, but not a lot of ups and downs. The northeast segment follows a creek, which is nice. There are several small creek crossings, which weren't bad (it had been 4-5 days since the last rain). The Creech Hollow Trail takes you right down to the edge of the lake, so our dog got to go swimming. We hardly ran into anyone except for a couple groups fishing at Creech Hollow Lake. Overall it was a great trail and we will definitely come back.

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Great trail. Went in October and the leaves were just starting to change color. Very pretty views. Only saw one other group of hikers. Took the 6 mile North Loop which is part of the Montgomery Bell (MB) trail. The full MB trail is 10.5 miles. North loop takes you along Creech Lake (great views) and crosses a creek several times. Lots of rocks and roots on most of the trails. Will definitely go again.

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Great park! Very clean & family friendly. I did the 10.5 and another section of trail. Not all of this trail is well marked but you can figure it out. Saw very few other hikers. Would love to camp here and spend more time on the trails!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I really enjoyed this trail. Very well-kept path for the most part, and I always prefer dirt ones like this to some of the paved Greenways trails. Not too many awesome views, but the scenery isn't boring. You parallel the creek for a good portion of it which opens things up a bit, and if you do the cut-off, 6 mile loop which I did as opposed to the whole 10.5 you will incorporate the Creech Lake trail which does have some very nice lake scenery. The park as a whole is extremely well maintained, and I plan to go back to do the whole 10.5 mile loop and maybe even some camping.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

This trail has plenty of pretty spots, but lacked the scenic views of many of the other spots weve trekked to, even in my novice experience. While the views were limited, there were still plenty of pretty spots, especially at the beginning and end of the trail. A brief interlude in a flatter, pine tree patch broke up the moderately hilly scenery with typical Tennessee trees & vegetation.