Middle Prong Trail

Middle Prong Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Go left at the very first fork! My partner and I went to the right and consequently about 1.5 miles out the way, you can easily get lost after the first .7 if you decide to go right. We fixed our mistake and ended up having a great hike up to the ridge. Overall a great and moderate first 4 miles of the trail!

Great hike with our grandkids (ages 6 and 8). Trail is wide with a gradual incline so we rate it as easy. Beautiful views of the creek running beside the trail and we loved the waterfalls.

This is an excellent trail with some spectacular river/waterfall views. Though this trail is rated as moderate, I found it to be an easy hike due to its gradual climb. The best views are only about 4 - 5 tenths of a mile from the trailhead. A must see if hiking in the Smoky Mountains.

Great trail! Family friendly- perfect picnic rocks and great picture opportunities!

Beautiful trail with river and waterfall at Indian Flats, not difficult at all due to gradual incline.

Great hike with a slow incline. The trail follows a small river that’s beautiful. Be sure to check out the waterfall at the 4.25 mile.

Went with my 60 year old mother, and we both loved hiking alongside the river

This trail is definitely a moderate hike. The trail is very rocky and mostly at an incline going in, but the trail has some wonderful views of the river and many smaller falls along the way. We only hiked about 2.5 miles in then turned back. There are plenty of places along the trail to stop and rest or have lunch. The trail is wide and was not heavily trafficked. Would definitely do it again and try to make it all the way to the falls.

My husband and I have done this hike a few times. Trail is wide and easy to follow. Always enjoy the rocks and waterfall tucked away at the top. One of our favorites.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Loved everything about this trail! Even if you only drove to the trailhead and out again, it would be worth it (which we are recommending to some elder friends with trouble walking). We did 2.5 miles of the trail. Frequent "offshoots" where you can get off trail to the water and get a better look. Gradual, slow incline, and wide, level (for the most part) path. Full shade all the time. Few other hikers which was awesome. Bring bug spray!!!

Thursday, June 01, 2017

I enjoyed this hike a lot. Gorgeous views and waterfalls along the way but Indian Trail Falls at the top is what makes it worth it. the trail is near the top when you come to a small clearing. You will see the trail to the left. It is unkept and not marked. Make your way down into one of the best views around.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Fun trail with a lot of little waterfalls and streams right next to the trail. Good for little kids (ours are 2, 4, and 6.) We didnt see too many additional hikers on this trail, which we enjoyed! Had a picnic on a big rock along the trail. Trail bed is a mix of gravel and rocks, pretty easy for our group. We probably only did about 2.5 miles of the trail as everyone was moving slow after traveling.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Great easy hike. Most of the beauty of this trail is in the 1st 2-3 miles as you follow a beautiful cascading creek. Steady but shallow climb out and all downhill back to the parking area.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Really enjoyed this trail, it's rated moderate because of the length the incline isn't bad at all. Wear hiking boots as there are lots of rocks in places. Get there early. We took 3 hour 38 minutes with a little break at the top. The falls aren't sign posted. You come to a wall and can turn righ or left take the little trail on the right, it's narrow but takes you down to the fall. Lovely trail lots to see along the way.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

I hiked this trail by myself on February 7 2017. I only passed two fishermen within the first mile, then I had the trail all to myself the rest of the way. it is an old road, so it is an easy trail. Beautiful scenery. I went to Indian Flats Falls

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Absolutely beautiful. The leaves were turning color and my eyes were dancing the whole time! It's fairly flat most of the way... by flat I mean not rocky. Ha! It's a slight uphill though. There were some challenging areas and fun paces to climb on rocks. I went down by the water and took photos at one point. The waterfall was nice that's where the challenging parts were.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

What a beautiful trail! We hiked the trail today all the way to Indian Flat Falls. It's an excellent hike. I would say heavy moderate hiking. The majority of this trail was carved by a railroad company that logged the area prior to the establishment of the park, so the first 3 miles or so is wide and well kept. A lot of rocks. The views of the stream are incredible with a lot of opportunities to get down into or cross the stream. Love the huge boulders. Lots of other water falls along the way. If you maintain course you can connect to the Appalachian Trail..another 4 miles beyond the Indian Flat Falls.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Beautiful Stroll with lots of water scenery

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Beautiful trail to hike!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Beautiful hike with numerous falls and cascades full shade

Saturday, July 16, 2016

This is a fairly easy trail. The turn off for the waterfall is not marked, but it is the only fork in the road.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

This is a nice pretty trail along a creek. You pass several small waterfalls on a steady incline the whole way up. Its not hard but it does get steep enough to get some people winded in the last mile.

It's not the kind of trail you can loose your way on, but right near the trailhead there is a fork. On tbe right its a narrow trail and the left is a wide path. Take the path. the trail on the right goes back 3/4 of a mile then dead ends at a creek.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

One of my favorite hikes. Was hoping to cross at Panther Creek, but we went in the winter and couldn't make the river crossing.

Monday, May 23, 2016

This is by far the best waterfall hike in the Smokies. You come upon several nice falls almost immediately up from the trailhead. This would be considered a moderate to strenuous hike and is a bit rocky in places. Good hiking boots are highly recommend. The payoff for this one is the unmarked trail that leads down to the top tier of Indian Flats Falls.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Smooth gravel trail all the way through with plenty of history and waterfalls to see. Some of the best sights are slightly off the trail and can be easily missed. Most of them are marked with stacked rocks on the edge of the trail.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Kids loved finding the Cadillac in the woods. Very easy terrain. We were 7 miles in before we realized how deep we really were.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Fun and easy. Follow some small foot paths off to your right to find the waterfalls.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Absolutley beautiful! Nice leisurely walk.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

This is a wonderful trail. It's long but there's barely a grade, so it's more like taking a walk in the forest than a mountain hike. The creek and falls are absolutely amazing, particularly if you make your way through the thicket at the end to see what I believe is Indian Flat Falls. Plus you find a Prohibition-era Cadillac and the ruins of the settlements that used to be on this trail. Only complaint is that the road leading to the trailhead is all rocks and gravel, so be careful driving. Definitely a hike I recommend

Monday, September 28, 2015

Beautiful! Very rocky so maybe not for those who have balance problems, etc. Many little waterfalls, beautiful old bridges, and an old Cadillac off trail. Research the hike before you walk and be sure to see all of the cool features.