Meriwether Lewis Loop Trail

Meriwether Lewis Loop Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hohenwald, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Parts of the trail were very maintained. Then there were parts of the trail you had to wonder if it was still the trail. Lots of trees down and found some poison ivy on part of the trail. But overall I enjoyed the hike. Especially the part of the trail close to the water.

Way too much unavoidable poison ivy allowed to grow all over footpath itself.

I made it a mile before turning back. Trails need some attention big trees down everywhere.

This trail needs some maintenance. Trees, big and small, lying across the path were common. The blazes are almost gone and not a bright color. There needs to be some additional signage at intersections of paths to keep you on your planned hike. There are some slippery spots on steep inclines because of rock. Some areas were overgrown and there is a lot of poison ivy out there. This is a nice challenging trail with lots of incline/decline and small streams. Probably underused and underappreciated because of comments like mine. The park is nice and clean, nicest restrooms on that section of the Trace. Just wish the trail also met that standard.

I couldn't complete the loop because of over growth past the creek. Way too much poison ivy grown over a large portion of the trail. I had to turn around and hike up the road to get back to my car. The areas I did hike was beautiful and would have loved to complete the loop. A few large downed trees forced me off the trail and when I had to circle back a newly fallen tree blocked the trail which wasn't there when I first went through.

Great Trail, a bit narrow for 2 dogs at the same time, but quiet and perfect. There were several incline / decline portions along the river - when you take the left and start to decline if you follow the path counterclockwise (go to the right). Otherwise, really decent paths and lots of history.

Beautiful,loved it

One of my favorite areas in Middle Tennessee. A great hike with beautiful scenery and lots of history. Also has a primitive campground here. Close to Fall Hollow and Devil's Backbone.

Beautiful! Take your all trails app with you to keep you on the trail. It was covered in a thick blanket of leaves.

Drove down the Natchez Trace on a beautiful Christmas Day. ( there is a detour 5 miles before the trail) The park is very well kept and the trail is easy to follow. I took the Old Trace to the edge of the park then followed the trail to the camp area and back to the lot I parked in. Really enjoyed the creek along the trail.
This trail is about 1-1/2 hours away, but I would certainly go back to share it with a friend!

Get a map at the park!
We started at the monument down the old trace road. When you get to the four way stop, do NOT turn right! There are several trees across the trail, it is grown over, we lost our way a couple of times, the two hill climbs were on all fours, and had it not been so dry, we would've definitely gotten our feet wet. I'd stay straight for the most lengthy of trails. The full loop is a lot longer than 4.3. It's more like 5.3. The old trace road trail and the trail portions to the west of the park road are easier and maintained. We did not see another hiker the whole time. Listen to the other reviews in warmer weather about ticks. I can see the potential for a great tick attack! The full large loop isn't signed or spray painted at all. Take a map and keep your eyes on!!

The campground is very well maintained and peaceful. Lots of great spots that are free on first come basis.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

We hiked this trail in June and it was very overgrown and difficult to follow- Even with a map and a hiking app, we ended up on the main road and caught a ride in the back of a park ranger's pickup truck back to our car! We want to try again in the fall or early spring, when the undergrowth is at a minimum. If you hike it in the summer, be sure to wear bug spray, long pants and hiking shoes. You will have a LOT of weeds and bugs to contend with.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Overgrown in places. A downed tree to cross here and there. Well-worn foot trail. Lots and lots and lots of poison ivy. Shorts and sandals would be a very bad idea.

Friday, March 11, 2016

Great hike but definitely needed map. The trails are somewhat over grown but we had no problems. The kids enjoyed it...loved having the bathroom area about midway through the hike.

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Hiked this trail today and it was worth the trip. I would recommend downloading a map before traveling to this trail as there were none available and the information cabin was not open. The trail is not marked nor maintained very well but we did not have any problems following the narrow trail. I would rate this trail as moderate. We only saw one other person the entire hike. Overall, a good hike.