Meigs Creek Trail

Meigs Creek Trail is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fishing and is best used from March until November.

Pleasant hike that starts at the sinks. Not too many views but lots of creeks if you like river hikes- some are tricky to cross, a different puzzle every time. The waterfall about 1.5-2 miles in is quite beautiful. We went nov 11 to try and catch fall colors but most of the leaves have fallen- making the trail a little slippery.

lovely walk

Fun & nice trail, moderately easy, nice but small water fall 1/2 way into the hike. Was a nice hike to add to the sinks cliff jumping.

Loved this hike. The falls are beautiful. We ran into some heavy rain on our way back which only added to our fun day. At the end the kids enjoyed cliff jumping and swiming. We spent the entire day here, and am so happy we didn't have anything else to do to pull us away.

Nice little trail. Lots of creek crossings. About 1.8 - 2.0 miles in is a beautiful cascade with nobody around. Well worth the hike.

I didn't care for this one too much. I made through about 8 stream crossings before I turned around. Lots of downed trees that had been cleared and overgrown areas as well. I did make it past the huge birch tree though. I wouldn't do it again.

Moderate in difficulty. Stream crossings are numerous, keeping it interesting. Lots of downed trees across the trail near the 2.8 mile mark on April 24. Crossings can be a challenging after rain. Have fun.

Awesome hike for getting back into shape!!

If you are looking for a nice, moderate half-day hike, this is your place. We had no issues with parking at"The Sinks" which is the trailhead but I can imagine parking could be an issue during heavy season. The trail will challenge you in the first mile if you keep a quick pace...great heart rate work. Then top out over the Meggs Creek ravine itself. Downhill until you hit the creek. About 1.5 miles to the major falls, maybe a bit more. Multiple creek crossings and water was high and as it was cold weather we were challenges to hop rock to rock or tree to stay dry. Made it really a fun hike. I can imagine this is a great hot weather hike as the trail follows close by the creek after that first mile.

Monday, August 22, 2016

*No facilities at the trail head. Make a pit-stop at the IGA grocer/gas station in Townsend, or drive further ahead from trailhead and stop at Metcalf Bottoms picnic area, then turn around and go back to trail head*

The parking lot gets very full, very quick.....especially when the warmer months are upon us. Folks come an take a dip in The Sinks, and stay for hours....so my suggestion is to get there early. There are no other parking options near the trail head.
Wonderful trail, with many, many creek crossings...18 times, two times (out and back). Be prepared to get your shoes wet, if we've had heavy rains, or be sure to bring along/wear water shoes.
The trail is challenging enough, but not brutal. The water level was very low, the day I went (July 19th), only only got my shoes wet because of misplacing my foot.
The Meigs Creek Cascades are beautiful. Again, the water was low enough for me to rock hop to the middle of the water, and not get wet.
The last 1/4 of the trail, before the Meigs Mountain and Lumber Ridge trail junctions, was becoming quite overgrown, when I was there. The nettle was very high, and flopping over the trail. The ferns, although gorgeous, was creeping into the trail, and was thick....no snakes were seen, but because of the over growth of foliage, I couldn't see one even it one was there! Many varieties of mushrooms, and there were several HUGE American Beech trees that are a lovely sight!
Had my first bear sighting, while on the first 1/4 of the trail....but he/she was so far away, there was no threat. I just watched in awe, from afar, until I knew it was at a safe distance that I could continue.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Nice trail for a hot August day with all the water crossings. Water level was not too high so we were rock hopping with no need to change out of our boots. Few folks on the trail. Lots of varieties of mushrooms noted. Would definitely do again as a car drop and go from the Sinks to Tremont to make this an eight mile one way.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Very nice hike. It poured while we hiked, so crossing the rising creeks was a bit of a challenge, but fun nonetheless.

Monday, September 21, 2015

A fun little hike. There hadn't been much rain so the creek crossings were fairly tame.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

The first mile in was pretty strenuous up hill, but as you descend down to Meigs creek, it is well worth it! We traveled back and forth across the creek, approximately 18 times, and almost always had the creek in site. The trail was very well maintained and was very easy to follow. After the first ascent, the rest of the trail was easy! My 7 year old and 11 year old daughter went with us. We didn't see any wildlife on the trial, but that doesn't mean their not there. Highly recommend this trail!

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Great short trail if you like hiking near water. Around 18 creek crossing but you can cross all but two of them (depending on water levels) without getting your boots wet.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Late October was a great time to go. The hardest part is crossing the creek 4 times.

Sunday, March 09, 2014

Very nice , mostly easy trail. Pretty steep going up at first. Can be rough if you are out of shape like I am. Eventually it evens out nicely and is truly amazing! You even get cell service which along the trail, ha! We didn't get to finish this trail, though. There are multiple water crossings and were scared we would fall in. We came to a spot where you literally had to climb
a fallen tree for a bit and a man we met there said it was even trickier further up. We turned around and went back there and decided to try again in the summer. However, still an amazing trail. Very beautiful. We did just under two miles before we turned around and it was very well worth it.