Marys Falls

Marys Falls is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Greeneville, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The hike should be called "Seldom Seen Marys Falls." The hike leaves from Round Knob Picnic Area and proceeds down the Davis Creek Trail on a narrow path. Please note this trail is very overgrown, steep, and is very easy to get lost on. Located near Round Knob Road, this is a hike to a beautiful 35 foot waterfall that's a hidden treasure of Greene County that even some locals know nothing about. You descend for approximately 1.1 miles before starting ascending. Keep this in mind as the hike back will feel way more demanding than the hike in. The drive in on Round Knob Road is paved for about a mile before turning into a "gravel"/ muddy road for 3 miles ending at a turn around/parking area at the Round Knob picnic area. Walk by the picnic area and keep following the trail down the mountain that goes between the laurels. Between .4 to .45 miles is where you make your first creek crossing. Around .85 to .9 you will cross the creek again. Approximately 1 mile into the hike you will look left after crossing a tiny stream and follow the trail that looks a bit rocky instead of following the road. Shortly after this you will cross the creek again. Once you have crossed you will turn left and follow the trail uphill. Going right (downstream) what you need to avoid doing, you may notice a double blue blaze in that direction. Once you have started going upstream you will cross another and then eventually spend time in the creek further up and might be able to somewhat stay out of the water. Follow the trail for about .7 miles. You will first see a small cascade before seeing Marys Falls.

Wow, rough hike. Steep descent on the climb to the river. At the river it's easy to get on the wrong trail. There are places with no trail that you hike in the creek. When you cross Davis creek there are two blue blazes on a tree. FOLLOW THE PATH TO THE LEFT. This trail is tough to follow. Lots of blow downs. Overgrowth makes you question if you are on the trail at all. Just stay by the creek. NUMEROUS creek crossings. Trail goes right to the falls if you are on the right path. Watch your GPS closely to make sure you don't get off trail. on't forget steep descent on the hike in means steep ASCENT on the hike out. Falls are nice but not spectacular. Margarette Falls down the road is much better.

Had a falcon guide I used to find this waterfall. After asking a couple of locals, one lived over the ridge from the trail, I had no leads on the location. It took me two attempts before finding it. The key turn I missed was when I crossed the creek for the third time I didn't turn left and follow the trail upstream. It was 19 degrees out with snow and ice and after hitting 2.5 miles I turned around. Noticed that was the route to go and followed it. Stopped and went back because I had gotten too wet on the hike to justify any reason to continue. When I got back I loaded up my map and compared it to the map in the falcon guide book. I stopped .2 miles from the falls when I called it quits on 1/ 13/18.

On 1/27/18 I went back and seeing two American Bald Eagles on the drive up had me excited for the hike. I found Marys Falls this time in warmer conditions. It was a great treat to have found. I'm sure summer months will involve much more bush whacking that I dealt with.