Lower Loop Overnight Trail

Lower Loop Overnight Trail is a 13.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pikeville, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1948 feet

This is hard trail due to hiking out of the gorge into back country campground 2. It wasn't very scenic except for the falls. I did enjoy the hike, I didn't get to finish it because I took a wrong turn. Apparently several blazes and signs have been stolen and many hikers take a wrong turn. I also blame this on the crappy map they give you, and the women in the office have no knowledge of the trail! The ranger had to pick us up. He was very helpful and said they are working on putting up new blazes and he has had to pick up several other hikers. I felt defeated because I wasn't able to finish. The camp sites are nice...bring a saw or hatchet! I recommend staying at the second site. I will come back in the spring to do the whole trail. I was about 2 miles short. You will take 3 suspension bridges, after the third, you will get on the paw paw trail..this is where we made our wrong turn.

Fairly easy hike except about 1.5 miles in the middle where you are just climbing over boulders.

It was a great hike! What 4 miles I got to do... I broke my ankle and had to be carried out. I liked it though and plan to go back.

The trail was in great condition and had markers and signs to keep you on track without a map or even this app the whole time. Campsite 2 was a great cozy spot with that water pump being amazing to get to. Definitely a hard trail with the western dip and ascension, that killed me. I went counterclockwise and made it to camp site two an hour before sundown starting at 11. With a hour and half sheltered sitting in the rain :(

The campground #1 is nice. Sites are spread out enough for privacy. There is a stream 8 minutes down the hill from it. However, it was just puddles when we were there and several people camping by it. The water was a bit dirty after filtering. The hike up to this camp spot is easy. There are no view points until after #1 (over an hour). I will go clockwise next time to get in views and harder hiking before camping.

First trail my wife and I hiked. The hard rating is definitely rings true in this case. the hike between camp 1 and 2 is the most difficult. the first 3 miles were so easy I made the mistake of attempting to conserve water. the trail is rated as 13.2 miles but I'm not so sure that's accurate. Fitbit and GPS on my phone confirmed the round trip was just over 18 miles. The trail kicked my ass but we both loved it. Great first overnight hike to break me in. Will without a doubt be doing it again very soon. Also due to a couple of the drop off between camp 1 and 2, I would rethink bringing my dogs on this one.

The 3 miles between campsite 1 and campsite 2 is the toughest part. So if you're trying to stretch it before nightfall... it doesn't come recommended. Falls are amazing. Great tough hike. Picked a few ticks and wasp stings, but hey that's what camping is for

I went back in April and it was a great trail. Hard is a good rating for it. This was my first solo backpacking trip and the hardest past by far was the gorge. This trail definitely showed me what I was made of being that I am a beginner. The trail was marked well and taken care of for the most part besides the downed trees. Would hike again!

I had two+ days and was easily able to hike both upper & lower loops, and camped at both sites. All the trails were managed well and easily navigated. The staff did let me know ahead of time that due to the summer's dry spell, that there wasn't much water. I stayed at a site near the river, and there was enough to filter for dinner and refilling. The second site did have a well pump that worked perfectly.
Had a great time, beautiful scenery, and good work out too. Will go back again.