Lone Oak to Tip Top Trail

Lone Oak to Tip Top Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Johnson City, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Mostly uphill with a lot of switchbacks This is a very nice trail located 5 minutes from ETSU. It is easy to follow, but there are several spurs off the main trail. It is worth taking a look at them if you want to make a longer hike. Everything is well marked, so getting lost isn't a problem. In mid-spring, take the time to follow ladyslipper loop. You will see numerous ladyslippers in bloom. Please be careful if you venture off the trail as the ladyslippers like to grow right on the edge of the path. Huckleberries are very plentiful here in the summer, but the local wildlife depends on them as a major food source, so it isn't a great place to go to pick large quantities. The view from Tip Top is nice, but is more wooded than White Rock. You can make the trail a loop if you follow the high ridge trail to White Rock, then take the White rock trail to the parking area.

You can park almost directly across from the trailhead in the gravel. Trailhead is not super easy to spot but you'll find it once you get close to it. A lot of switchbacks to start and then it levels off. Not a ton of incline except for the last .25 miles or so. Parts of the trail are a little overgrown and thin so be careful where you step (I accidentally stepped off the trail unknowingly and almost slipped!). Not a terribly difficult hike, I would rate it as moderate.

Final view is awesome! The trail head isn't labeled very well, but there are labels throughout the trail.

Great in/out hike. I stopped at the first picnic table for a quick stretch then hiked to the second and had a snack. Seems like it took a little over an hour to get to the 2nd table and a lot faster coming out. The app said I had 1hr 23 minutes of moving time, which I don't think is correct because I didn't take long breaks and the trip took me right at 2 hours. The app. also said I went 6 miles but I am skeptical. I'm also unsure if I made it to the end of this segment or past it, but there was a nice view at the table (It was a foggy/rainy morning.) The 2nd table seemed like a good place to turn around as I was shooting for 2 hours and the trail markers turned blue. I don't recall any trail markers to that point but the trail was really easy to follow. It does indeed start out strenuous.

I give this 4 stars because I guess I was expecting some big scenery lol it was a good challenging trail! Had one stop with a picnic table and then another at the top! So was very convenient! The whole way up it is a lot of beautiful scenes!

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Great if you're looking for a challenge. Be prepared to go uphill!

Sunday, July 31, 2016