Lead Cove and Finley Cane Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, birding, and horses and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This was a nice hike. It started out slow but once we started gaining altitude it got more interesting.

This loop is more moderate than hard. Really enjoyed it though. Walked around a bend on Lead Cove and a doe was in the middle of the trail. It must be accustomed to hikers because it slowly ambled off the trail so I could pass.
Bote Mountain had a fairly large blow down that was not any fun to climb over.

This was a hard hike, but it was my fault for overlooking the hard rating when I meant to choose a moderate hike. FWIW, my Apple Watch says it was a 7.38 mile hike.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Great short hike with lots to see. I hiked counter clockwise Lead Cove to Bote Mountain to Finely Cane. I found water readily available along most of the route. There are several creek crossings and loose, rocky areas so be prepared. Just past the intersection of Bote Mountain and Lead Cove, oddly enough I heard an eastern screech owl calling multiple times in broad daylight. A first for me! There are several grape thickets that should bring bears to the area during grape season. Additionally, table mountain pine is present along the route. Look for the serotinous cones. I saw one eastern wild turkey, and 5 turkey vultures. I heard a red shouldered hawk around the area of Devil's Nest Creek.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Went from Finley Cane, to Bote Mountain, back down Lead Cove. Beautiful ridge line walk. Some steep incline.

Friday, July 24, 2015

The specific hike we took included a portion of FInley Cane, Bote Mtn and Lead Cove. It was a really great hike given the diversity of the trails. Finley Cane was in great shape, easy grade and some fabulous mushrooms! One bear was spotted. We then intersected with Bote Mtn Trail which was about a 2.5 pull up a reasonably step grade, not sure but prob a ~1000 ft elevation gain in about 2.5 miles. Came across 2 very large Timber Rattlers...these Timbers are amazing in their girth..big snakes!! We then returned to the trailhead via Lead Cove Trail. Some really beautiful old growth forestation at the higher elevation of Lead Cove...this was a steep trail, it would surely be makred strenuous if we were coming up trail. Overall, this set of trails presents a great opportunity to see the diversity of the Smokies and take in some really interesting wildlife.

Friday, September 05, 2014

Late august trip. Lots of bear sign. Very peaceful.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Much better hikes in the smokies, but if you just want a hike thought the woods for some peaceful solitude, this may be the hike for you. Only ran into 2 other people on the 3 hr hike.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

This trail was okay but we have hiked much better trails. Going up wasn't bad but coming old road was very rocky and eroded which made for a seemingly long hike.

Sunday, October 30, 2016