Laurel, Greeter Falls, BCR and Stone Door Loop

Laurel, Greeter Falls, BCR and Stone Door Loop is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altamont, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great views on the rim. Laurel trail was nothing but flat walking through trees. I found myself bored with this part of the trail.

I hiked this trail with some buddies of mine. We had a great time, it’s an easy trail and it has tons of beautiful overlooks! It also has some campsites on the trail for backpacking. It also is great for a one day trail hike.

Nice, easy trail

This really is a long but easy hike. Laurel Trail basically winds through the woods without much else to look at. Stone Door is of course a beautiful spot. Big Creek Rim is again easy with a few nice overlooks. I'm a 51 year old beginner and I was able to complete the loop in less than 4 hours.

Hubby and I did this hike this morning. We started at the Greeter Falls trailhead. We did not go down to Greeter Falls but went to the left past Boardtree Falls instead and proceeded to the Alum Gap Campground. From there we took Big Creek Rim trail. There are four overlooks and several creek crossings along the way. It comes out at the Stone Door. We went down Stone Door and came back up and headed to the Stone Door trailhead. We stopped there for awhile and ate lunch. Then we took the Laurel Trail back to the Alum Gap Campground and went back down Greeter Trail to finish the hike. It was closer to 10 miles since we had to take Greeter Trail twice. All in all it was an easy hike with nice well marked trails. We had a map but didn't need it. Some parts are rocky or full of roots but there are no major hills to climb. We went in at 7am but didn't see many people until later in the morning. Laurel Trail was kind of boring with nothing to look at but trees but it was the most direct route back to the car. There is an out house at the Alum Gap Campground and nice restrooms at the Stone Door ranger station but not at the Greeter Falls parking area. We had a great time. Its the first time we have done a 10 mile hike and I think we picked the right trails for it.

Saturday, January 28, 2017