Laurel Falls via Appalachian Trail

Laurel Falls via Appalachian Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hampton, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

worth the walk

A nice walk in the woods. The overnight rain left the rocky descent to the falls a little slippery. Overall, a good out and back trail making the falls very accessible. I was concerned that the warning signs about swimming near the falls had been removed. As a local, I am all too familiar with the drownings that have occurred here and this review is more to caution users of the trail to this fact than to add to what others have said.

awesome falls, one of the most popular trails in the area. Few primitive campsites by the river (not the falls) lot is small and always full. approx 5.5 miles round trip from 321, app 175 steps from Dennis cove.

It was a beautiful waterfall and fairly easy hike but the rock stairs going down to the waterfall and coming back up were really rough. It was a very strenuous hike back up. I would not recommend bringing your dog. My greyhound struggled, even with her long legs.

Very nice trail with the creek, rock walls and rhododendrons-lots of natural beauty to enjoy. Now once you get to the rock stairs the fun is over! Difficult going down and definitely coming back up! I’m not in the best shape right now after a very long winter but even in shape I think it would be difficult. That being said, I still think it was so worth it! We’ve had rain so the falls had a lot of water flowing over the rocks. Absolutely beautiful!

My 18month old daughter and I mastered this trail today. It was such a beautiful day. It was a little confusing starting out, but once we found the trail it was a piece of cake. Pay attention to the trail markers... we missed the waterfalls by a mile because we were following the blue markers. Follow the white markers. It will lead you down about 250 stone stairs right to the waterfall! If you’re backpacking (like I was with our baby carrier) it’s HELL getting back up! All in all it was a beautiful hike and I am so happy we did this.

Beautiful hike through the laurels and the falls are worth the many steps.

This trail is much easier than the other trail going to Laurel Falls. There's lots of steps near the falls but otherwise after that not much elevation change. This will be a great hike for anyone wanting to take a short hike.

Easliy one of my favorite hikes! Beautiful views along the way! This trail has some level spots but overall I'd rate it moderate, difficult in spots due to rocky areas, stairs and inclines.

Nice trail. I've hiked to the falls both ways. Take this trail if you don't have a lot of time, but want to see a nice waterfall.

Beautiful falls! Nice, moderate walk until the stone stairs down, but worth it. My dog loved it! I walked past the falls but couldn't find the loop trail, so ended up going back the way I came. Bring extra water, hiking poles, and take breaks climbing back up the steps.

A beautiful hike along the river. The steps are pretty strait down about 450 ish feet. But definitely worth the hike. Beautiful waterfall.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

the first mile in is mostly flat, mi or roots and rocks. When you reach the point of actually heading down to the falls is where the adventure begins. We went the morning after an all night rain. The rock steps are steep and slippery when wet, please use caution. A walking stick or trekking piles are a benefit. It was definitely worthy of the walk down. Contrary to belief or was easier to walk up out of the valley.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Rocky & steep.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Wow. A very nice trail. The trail indicates a blue trail marker but the trail mainly had white ones after the trailhead. The turn off the main trail to go to Laurel Falls isn't marked with a trail name marker. You will turn left and go down the stone steps to the bottom for a spectacular view of the falls. We loved it. We also loved that they put in stone steps because it makes it easier to navigate. We will be back for another visit to hike the other trails located at this location.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Nice hike with even footing most of the way. The last bit going down to the base of the falls has many stone steps to negotiate, but the falls are magnificent and well worth the effort.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

great hike down to falls. trail is well taken care of
nice bridge over water and steps along the way.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

We started at our Dennis cove campsite and walked to the coon den falls starting point. Pretty steep going up to the falls. Back tracked and followed it to the AT and made a loop out of it. The falls where beautiful and there's is a beautiful spot on the AT if you go right back towards Dennis cove that looks out over the mountains. A must seen.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

One of my favorite day hikes!

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

We hiked this trail with our children, ages 9 and 4. We started at the Dennis Cove AT Trailhead and found the overall experience to be wonderful! We found entering the left hand (of the 4 entrances) was the correct one after speaking with several other hikers. The trail was shady and offered plenty of spots for us to hike down and see the water and to climb up and see the mountains. The trail was mostly easy to follow, and an enjoyable hike until it was time to start down towards the falls. The hike down to the falls just needs to be taken slowly and carefully. Once down to the falls, we took a long water break while enjoying the sounds and sights of the waterfall, and then played in the chilly water for a bit before beginning our ascent to the top. We will definitely be back here for another day hike.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Amazing. One of my favorite day hikes.
Have done it dozens of times since 1972

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Hiked to the falls. It was beautiful. The treck down to the actual waterfalls is all downhill down a stone staircase. It is a difficult trip back up those stairs to the top. Bring water and take breaks.

Monday, April 14, 2014

I only hiked from Dennis Cove to the falls but it was a pretty easy hike. the hardest part of the hike is climbing back up the main trail after going down to visit the falls. There are rocks that work as gigantic stair steps on your way back up so be prepared to get a little burn going in your quad muscles. If all you want to do is visit the falls you shouldn't even need to carry a back pack although a bottle of water might be a good thing. And don't forget your camera because this is one of the bigger waterfalls in the area. I last visited the falls in August 2012.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

If your looking for a great hike with all different terrain types then this is for you. This hike gives you a bit of everything you want. I have hiked this trail many times in my life, as I was born and raised in the town the hiking location is at. The changes in terrain keeps you on your toes and lets you enjoy the full experience of an actual hike as well as a wonderful reward at the end with a beautiful view of the falls at all times during the year. The hike can be made by almost anyone, there are few uphill challenges but they can be easily conquered. All in all, wonderful hike.

Thursday, March 06, 2014

I hiked to Laurel Falls from the Hampton side and was really impressed with the trail and all of the different things to see. The waterfall is very impressive and definitely plan on going back in warmer weather and also to hike in from the Dennis Cove end. Great hike and wonderful waterfall.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Everytime I Hike this trail I feel Like I find another offshoot to explore which typically takes me to a nice tranquil environment of solitude.

Friday, December 28, 2012

The trail from Dennis Cove to Laurel Fork Falls (the Appalachian Trail) is probably my all-time favorite, and I've hiked it probably 15-20 times. Today was another great experience; it had snowed a couple of days ago, so going down the stone steps to the falls was a nervous affair for a 58-year-old guy, but well worth it. The falls today were as full as I've ever seen them, and the trail itself is worth the hike. One of the loveliest stretches of hiking I know. Highly recommended!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Another of my favorites! Have done this one twice in recent months as an in/out trail with visitors, and numerous times as a pass-thru section on the AT.
Can be VERY crowded in the summer months! and challenging in the winter.
Love this area!!

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Overall a pretty good hike. Probably 3/4 of the trail is cleared and easy hiking. The last 1/4 of the hike is fairly demanding unless your in awesome shape. You have a climb down to the falls and back up, pretty steep and rocky, almost like steps. Once at the falls, there is a very scenic, woodsy area and swimming hole.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Awesome section.. If you get a change stay at Kincora Hostel. Bob Peoples is the man!!!