Laurel Falls Trail

Laurel Falls Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 396 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paved

Dogs and pets are not petmitted in Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Laurel Falls is one of the most popular destinations in the park and parking at the trailhead is limited. The area is especially busy on weekends year-round and on weekdays during summer. Laurel Branch and the 80-foot high Laurel Falls are named for mountain laurel, an evergreen shrub which blooms along the trail and near the falls in May. Though the trail is paved and suitable for strollers, this trail gets very crowded. Having a stroller may slow you and other travelers down.

The pavement is broken and holes on the trail. The area is beautiful.. We saw a Black Bear down the hillside while walking in.. Everyone was ecstatic! The water is beautiful. Easy hike for a beautiful waterfall.

paved trail but broke in places. Fun hike

I love the Laurel Falls Hike. I've done it a few times. Beautiful scenery and I love the waterfall at the end. Popular hike though.....sometimes can seem crowded. Still, I do recommend this hike.

Nice and easy trail to hike, just lots of people even at 10am on a Wednesday. Good view of the falls at the end

Enjoyed this trail but it is very heavily trafficked! Beautiful view at the end. Come early so you can get a parking spot!

Enjoyed this trail. Has Nice views, waterfall is worth the hike. Nice to be so up close to the waterfall. The asphalt is nice but narrow making it difficult during high traffic times.

Great trail for a family hike. Parking was a challenge, but worth it.

icy

Pretty cool trail! It’s paved, but old so I would not recommend strollers or wheelchairs (sign stating it’s not recommended as well). Gorgeous views of the mountains! Only bad thing is it’s VERY heavily trafficked. I started the hike up around 7:30am and I was literally the only one there. But it wasn’t shortly after I got the falls when people started piling in. Personally, it’s worth it though and I’d do again

icy

We did this trail after some rain so it was a slippery- just be mindful of weather conditions and be careful. It was a great hike more on the easy side with a beautiful view of a waterfall at the end.

Nice and easy. Crowded, but expected for January 1st. The waterfalls are definitely worth it!

While a paved trail, it’s falling apart. Narrow with steep drop offs as you approach the falls. The mile markers keep you aware of progress. We saw a lot of strollers so it’s doable, but the falls are not spacious-there’s a single foot bridge that’s hard to pass for strollers. Easy for experienced hikers, moderate for newbies.

Sooooo crowded, crowds completely ruin the experience, the path is 4-5 ft wide and we met multiple (lots) people that were walking side by side and no courtesy of others. People trying to grab a group pic at the falls and others just walking between not even offering to let them grab their pic. Sorry for the rant, the falls was pretty just riddled with uncourteous people.

recorded Recording - Dec 29, 03:18 PM

Once again This hike didn’t disappoint.

This is a nice, mostly paved trail that is accessible for most. The falls at the end are attractive but not spectacular. It is a VERY popular trail, especially in summer when many families and young people hike up and play in the falls on a hot day. If you continue on the trail past the falls there is an old growth forest grove with huge trees and dense undergrowth. We heard a bear crashing around in the undergrowth. Some hikers we ran into going the opposite direction said that they saw the bear cross the trail far ahead of them.

Not my first time, but fun little hike. Planned to do bunion on AT but didn’t have micro spikes for the icy trail conditions. Decided to take a short little hike to enjoy the falls!

great trail on a rainy day

Good hike. Some solid uphill portions, it gets the calves burning. Falls are nice just be sure to get there early as the parking fills up and people tend to hang out around the falls far too long. We were able to run portions of it on the way back. Not a hard hike but a must do for sure!

Falls were pretty but don’t get your hopes too high. Nice cliff/drop off as you approach the falls. Get to trailhead early if you want to find parking. I went another 1.7 miles beyond the falls to the next intersection. Nice steady burn the whole way. 40 degree weather made this a great hike.

Paved to the waterfall. Steady climb. Go 15 minutes past waterfall to see huge trees!

icy

This was a nice hike by myself. Started at 7:20am, I was the first on the trail. Was back by 8:45. Saw a cardinal and chipmunk on the way. Seeing the falls was with the hike. Trees were snow covered. Be careful, path can be slippery. While it is paved, it is very uneven. I would not recommend for toddlers. Worth the hike for a pic at the waterfall.

Trail is listed as easy. Do not let this fool you. The only reason it’s listed as easy is due that it has a concrete path. There is some incline as well as some of the path is getting washed out. The reason why I mentioned it is because it says you can take a stroller and is a good trail for all. It’s a great hike loved it and the views are beautiful. If you want to get a burn In and not a lot of time, this is the one. I would just be mindful that who will be with you. We went this morning around 7:30 and on the way back the parking lot already filled up. If you have small children be cautious a little boy lost his footing from the path and fell down and broke his tooth.

Great trail for all skills, waterfalls were a nice surprise and a great spot for photos. we even saw bears on the way back!

Nice accessible trail for an easy day. It’s fun to play around by the falls.

Somewhat slippery but great reward!

Loved a good swim once we reached the falls.

Pretty view at the top. Should have brought my hiking poles. Lots of incline. Glad I went!