Laurel Falls Trail

Laurel Falls Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Norton Creek Ranch, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

Nice easy trail to a small waterfall. Along the way there are a few nice views of the nearby hills and rock formations Laurel Falls is one of the most popular destinations in the park and parking at the trailhead is limited. The area is especially busy on weekends year-round and on weekdays during summer. Laurel Branch and the 80-foot high Laurel Falls are named for mountain laurel, an evergreen shrub which blooms along the trail and near the falls in May. The trail is paved and is suitable for strollers.

Heavily trafficked trail, but worth the time to see the falls. Paved to falls, then continues as traditional trail to Cove Mtn. Saw a sow and 3 cubs while hiking, pretty cool.

great trail. arrive early for a hike without the crowds

Love this hike, but the path was a bit eroded. Don't bring strollers.

Love this hike, but the path was a bit eroded. Don't bring strollers.

Crowded and overused, but the scenery was great.

I have this trail a five star review for one reason. If you do not hike, but want to experience the beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, this is the trail for you. The trail is mostly paved, it is just over a mile to the falls, and the incline is moderate. There is only one real stream crossing and it is over a paved bridge at the falls. Overall, a great beginner's hike.

The beginning of the hike is close to the road, and you will be about 1/4 of the way up before you realize you no longer hear the large trucks and motorcycles anymore. Then you start to hear the stream cascading somewhere below you. There is a great mixture of trees and plants along the trail (like most trails in the GSM), and a few very spectacular views. About halfway up the trail there is an amazing lookout that deserve a rest to fully appreciate it.

The falls themselves are worth the heavy traffic you will brave to get there. This is the busiest trail I have ever taken my family on. But we wanted a hike that wasn't too difficult and that ended in a waterfall. We spent almost as much time sitting on the rocks of the middle falls just enjoying the coolness of the moisture, the sound of the falls, and the beauty of the GSM.

I hope you enjoy your hike.

This hike was not like we are used to. Its all paved. We went on a weekday and it was very crowded. Its the first time in 30 years of going to the Smokies that I have ever seen a parking spot open right at the trailhead. We were actually headed to Elkmont to hike but changed our minds when we saw the empty slot. On the way to the falls it is mostly uphill but not steep. There are a few places with big dropoffs but no rails so keep an eye on kids. Laurel Falls is very pretty but there was a crowd so I couldn't get any pics without people in them. I'm glad we hiked it but I prefer unpaved trails and a little more privacy. But we knew how popular the trail was before we hiked it.

Will def do again but very heavily crowded!

Beautiful waterfall. Even better after a good rain. Mostly paved. Somewhat of an incline. Very popular trail and great spot. Have completed it about 5 different times and I will keep coming back!