Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Laurel Falls Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hampton, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 793 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please Note: This is not the Laurel Falls in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/tennessee/laurel-falls--2) This is a great hike along the Laurel Fork of Doe River leading to a beautiful waterfall. It also runs with the AT for part of its length. The trail is in good shape along most of its length, but there are a few rough spots where mountain runoff has cut into the trail. These places can get very muddy if it has rained recently. The trail also has a short section where you have to climb over rocks along the side of the river. The trail will seem to end, but there are two white blazes on a large boulder that show you where to go. The trail over the rocks isn't difficult, but it is along a river, so watch out if you have children or small dogs with you. They may need help climbing up or down some of the rocks. The only down side to this trail is that it can get very crowded. In late spring or during the fall when the leaves change, there can be 30-40 people out on a weekend. If you have a dog that you like to hike with off lead, avoid these crowded times.

Great hike. Gorgeous waterfall. Took us 3 hours total.

My favorite way to see the falls. Nice hike!

I love the longer trail to the shelter then down to the falls beautiful place

This in my opinion was an easy trail with a really big beautiful waterfall at the end! I would definitely recommend it!

This trail is awesome. It has everything. It is flat at times, rocky and challenging at times, two lovely bridges, places to stop and swim and picnic, babbling streams, wildflowers and an amazing waterfall at the end. I've hiked a number of trails and this ranks up there as one of my favorites. There's parking for probably about 10 cars

Absolutely love this trail, been there 5 times in the last year and never regret it. Falls are beautiful. Hike is amazing and just enough to tire me out.

Excellent hike, always enjoy this trail.

A really great day hike just after a rain which made the water fall very impressive. Lots of people out on the trail and the views from the top of the ridge are amazing.

This is always a nice hike. Enjoyed a cold day to myself the past weekend. They have a sign up at the trail head saying to use the high water trail, but you can easily get around the rock at the river. Just be aware of ice. Beautiful day. Falls were full. Only meet a few folks coming back out. If it ever gets winter here, I'd love to see this falls frozen over. A bit muddy, but thats why you wear water proof boots hiking in the mountains. If you take the high water trail past the shelter, there is another small waterfall that crosses the trail. Pictures in my recording.

Great afternoon for this hike!

Beautiful waterfall and not busy at all on a cold day. We accidentally started from another trail and made it to the waterfall. Decided to hike back along this trail most of the way. Not too difficult of a trail.

Absolutely beautiful hike. My group does this trail several times a year and it never disappoints. The views from the ridge are beautiful and in the summer, you can swim in the area below the falls! I recommend bringing chacos or water resistant shoes if you decide to go swimming as the rocks can be painful to walk on barefoot.

Great trail. Lots of fun. I’ve done this hike numerous times. It takes about 4 hours to do the hike if you take your time with it. Usually you will see several people on the trails. I would consider this hike moderate. You do have to climb over some rocks at times and it takes awhile to do the whole trail.

The beginning is not that interesting but it’s totally worth it! Super convenient while traveling from Chattanooga to Sugar Mtn/ Boone area

This was a great mix of ups and downs and straight-aways. The trail pretty much keeps you at the rivers edge, meandering thru tons of rhododendrons. It’s a pretty level walk until after you cross the second of two bridges...then it gets a little rocky as you climb. The views are beautiful the entire way, with large rock walls that are a climbers dream, and rushing waters with plenty of rocks to climb out on and stick your feet in the water. There’s a split where you can easily miss the trail and go up to Laurel Fork Shelter. If you end up there, just chill for a while and then come back down to make your left turn back onto the trail. There is a great rock scramble before you come up to the falls...which are really gorgeous! If it wasn’t January (even though it was almost 60 degrees-unseasonably warm), the base of the falls would be a super fun place to swim. Lots of cute camping sites along the way. We will definitely come back when it’s warmer. Great hike!

the trail is very easy untill you hit the last point : climbing down the rocks, about 1000 steps down! I'd say this last part was strenuous. my husband fell once as well as my 5 year old. climbing up the rocks on the way back was easier but you have to watch your every step. the falls are gorgeous! it was worth it. the hike along the river was very peaceful.

Beautiful New Years Eve hike! Lots of elevation changes and rocks to climb on. And then you end with a stunning view of the falls! Two bridge crossings if you don’t want to get wet. Will definitely be returning in the summer time to explore the water features more!

Lovely Christmas Eve hike with friends

icy

This is a high end of easy hike, and the destination is spectacular! My favorite waterfall in the Appalachians. Another beautiful waterfall in the GSMNP bears the same name as this one, but this one is his daddy! Took our time and took dozens of pics along the trail. Actually hiked 6.1 miles, adding on the Laurel Shelter. We will be back to do more hikes in this area!

really nice took my 8 and 6 yo nieces and they handled it well. also very beautiful walking next to the river

Absolutely stunning view of the falls at the end! Lots of river views, two bridge crossings. Very rocky trail with lots of opportunities to stumble. My Fall Count: 0 — my Trip Count: well-north of 25. Granted I was never voted most graceful, but trust me, you’ll either want to be sure-footed on this hike, wear hiking boots with good ankle support, or preferably both. The hike starts out easy and becomes increasingly challenging, finishing off with a steep section of trail and rock climb to get to the falls. So fun and worth every step!! I passed a family carrying a 3-ish year old child - not sure how the man did it, it was a challenging hike just carrying myself. Plus, with my Trip Count the poor youngin’ would’ve likely spent more time flying through the air than in my arms. Several swimming/wading spots on the way. I would say this is heavily trafficked - I saw no less than 10 groups of two or more on the hike to the falls. Saw no one on the way back because I rolled in 15 minutes past dusk. I would definitely recommend adding this one to your list.

Been to the falls via the shorter hike and really enjoyed this trail a lot more because you are by water almost the whole time! Love the ascent to the ridge, and the wild rocks by the river. Nice hike! Will come back in the summer to swim. Saw some nice waterholes along the way!

Gorgeous! Perfect weather. Beautiful falls!

Beautiful falls and a nice trail to stretch your legs. We visited on a Friday morning and got the last spot in the parking lot, although we only passed three or four small groups on the trail. Overall, the ratio of distance to views is good. We were happy!

Wonderful hike. Gorgeous. Some rocky places were tricky but we 60 yr olds made it.