Jump Off Trail via Appalachian Trail

Jump Off Trail via Appalachian Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,482 feet Route Type: Out & Back

There is a restroom at Newfound Gap close to the trailhead.

Good trail beautiful views, had a wonderful morning hike to the jump off. Definitely would recommend to everyone.

Incredible views

Favorite trail in the Smokes. Fabulous view. Not many people on trail so we got to view point and had a snack by ourselves. After we went to Charles Bunion. That was neat too.

Made a detour to the Jump Off on our hike to Charlies Bunion. Great views and worth the extra effort. We had started at sunrise and had the vista to ourselves. This plus Charlies Bunion brought us to about 10 miles round trip for a tiring but rewarding day.

Excellent views and much quieter and less traveled than Charles Bunion.

after hiking the jump off last month in overcast we thought we would give it another try. It was busy but the view was much clearer with only moderate haze. On the return we saw a black bear cub and a pair of turkey .

My favorite hike in the Smokies thus far! We added the Jump Off onto our previously scheduled hike to Charlie's Bunion. I would HIGHLY recommend this (1.5 mi further). I actually preferred the view on this trail more because of the higher elevation and quite nature. There was significantly fewer people here, so we were able to enjoy sitting at the summit. Absolutely beautiful! I had attempted this hike once before in the early spring, but we turned back due to ice and snow. So, make sure to plan ahead accordingly! There are also some rocky spots, so be prepared.

awesome views small area up there but not as crowed as the bunion rocky trail

At about 930AM my wife, myself, my 7 year old and 3.5 year old started toward Charlies Bunion. Just as we passed the boulevard trail junction the skies got dark and a storm rolled in. Luckily Icewater spring shelter was right there so we took shelter along with 25 others for over an hour and a half. This really killed our mojo, especially my youngest so we thought all was lost. Then I pulled out my hiking guide and remembered the jumpoff was pretty close. So after the rain delay, we decided to make the best of it and go for the jumpoff. I'm so glad we did. It was a unbelievable view. Just a note, there were a few times I thought we were there, but weren't. There are a few teases before the actual jumpoff. Put this on your must do Smoky hikes, even if you just branch off from the Charlies Bunion excursion. Totally worth the extra mileage.

Took my family and friends in the middle of July. Left at 9:00 am with 75 degrees cool breeze and shade the whole walk. Uphill the whole way but not bad at all as my 9 year old daughter had a blast. View at top is worth it. Pack a lunch enjoy at the top before heading down. For a bonus on the way down walk another 1.25 miles toward Bunions for a spectacular view.

After a few days of heavy rain we went up on a Sunday not too bad of a climb and since we have done Charlies Bunion in the past was were familiar with trail. Only issue was as we ascended the cloud cover got worse - completely socked in at the Jump off. Some traffic on AT heading towards bunion but only a few people going to jump off. Parking lot was its typical hustle bustle but parking was available.

Fairly moderate hike with a beautiful view at the top! 95% of the hike, the mountain views are obstructed by trees, but the scenery at the top is amazing! Be careful of ticks, we had one in our group get a tick bite on her leg so I would recommend this trail in longer pants since the majority of it is so forested.

The overlook and a couple other spots along the trail offer great views of the Smokies

Took this off trail after doing the Newfound Gap to Charle’s Bunion. Had rained earlier in the day and was very muddy a lot of places. Pretty short, steep hike which we weren’t able to pay off because of thick clouds that we tried to wait out for 15-20 minutes but couldn’t see. I’m sure the view is great with no clouds though.

My wife and I did this trail after doing Alum Cave yesterday. It would be difficult for someone not in the best shape, but someone who hikes regularly should be able to tackle this no problem. The trail is well kept, though lot's of loose rock and some mud. Some scrambles over rocks as well, and once on the spur, some overgrown vegetation. That being said, the views at the Jump Off are amazing and make up for the tough hike up. We started early and had the whole Jump Off to ourselves for about 30 mins. Clouds moved in so we weren't able to see much after, but it was awesome being IN the clouds. Lot's of bugs at the jump off.

Love, love, love the Jump Off. A must see for anyone heading to Charlie’s Bunion or taking the boulevard trail to LeConte. Great views - we saw a family of deer before reaching the lookout.

This trail offers the most mind-blowing views I have seen! The trail itself is a little overgrown, rough, rocky, and with eroded roots, but the end result is so worth the effort! Just go until it looks like the trail has ended, and then go a little more!

Fun and rocky trail, a lot of uphill but not terribly difficult. Saw a few deer hanging around. There were a few people on the main trail but once I got off and headed towards the jump off, pretty quiet. I had the spot at the end all to myself and it was incredibly beautiful. The trail was well marked with a sign for the jump off.

Nice trail conditions but a little boring, nothing really interesting to see until you get to the small opening at end of trail where the view was spectacular. On the way back we saw young deer, that was the only more or less entertaining event. Not a very hard trail

Th payoff is worth the continuous uphill climb It is not really hard but just continually up The payoff at the end is what I think is the beat view I the Smokies

really nice trail and not too difficult with a very nice payoff. Charlie's bunion is a very majestic visita and if you go early you could find yourself King of the world perched on high.