Jump Off Trail via Appalachain Trail

Jump Off Trail via Appalachain Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

There is a restroom at Newfound Gap close to the trailhead.

fairly moderate for the most part. there are a couple of rough patches, but more than worth it for the view.

Would rate certain sections of this trail as difficult. First part of AT is a little on harder side. First part of Jump off trail is a little more difficult as well. Trail is well marked, and provides stunning views. We were going to hike to Charlie's Bunion but after the views we saw, just felt as if they couldn't be topped. Good hiking boots and socks are a must. Poles would help. Saw people with Sandals, but it is just asking for an injury. Worth the hike, we will remember this for years!

This is a great trail overall and mostly moderate. I will say the actual .3 miles on the jump off trail are more on the strenous/hard side with steep ups and downs, but the view at the end is worth the hike up there. Definitely a must do while in the Smokies!

This was a nice trail but we missed the view because of the fog. I’ll have to try it again on a clear day. I suggest doing Charles Bunyan on the same day.

Best backpacking trip I have ever done.

An absolutely beautiful trail with one of the best (and relatively lesser known) views in the park. The trail up was moderate, rocky, and icy. Once you get to the sign for the Jump Off, continue on the side trail until you reach a rock that gives an incredible view of the mountains (it’ll feel like you’re going on to another trail, but you’re not — just keep going until the trail ends at the Jump Off). Highly recommended.

This was a good hike! The last mile or so is quite the scramble to the summit but it's fun. The summit is very small but it was far less crowded than most in GSMNP. Go on a clear day for a great view!

Looking for a trail to prep for a hike to Mt LeConte. Thought the easiest would be The Jump Off from Newfound Gap parking lot. as the elevation gain would be less.

First trail, AT part, that almost filled my 32gSD card!!!! Because of the photo ops going up, took 3.5 hours. Coming back 1 hour 15 minutes!!!!!!!

outstanding views and well marked with a sign

A great day for hiking with scenic views in all directions, but you also have to watch your feet as there are rocks, roots, and some tricky footing here and there. But it is well worth the time and effort.

First weekend in October, the trail was pretty crowded with people getting out and enjoying the perfect weather to hike this scenic trail. The views were beautiful and clear, the air on the top of the ridge cool. I will say that the first mile and a half climbed enough to get my attention. Also, the first tenth of a mile after the Jump Off turn to the right had a lot of loose rocks and roots; I was glad to be in sturdy boots. Still, a classic hike I thoroughly enjoyed!

No, this trail is not poorly marked whatsoever. This is why you research point for point before going hiking. The big wooden sign reading "Jump Off" with an arrow up the trail is unmistakable. We go every year on Sept. 28th for our anniversary. Last year was clear views but this year, we got to hike in the clouds! It was amazing going right up to the edge and looking over the 500 foot drop off into just clouds, and watching them whirl and whisp in over the AT. Absolutely magical.

Poorly marked. Make sure you pay attention and follow the Jump off sign about 0.1 into the trail. A large group of hikers were congregated in front of the sign and we missed it, continuing on the AT going down for a good while before we decided to turn around knowing we missed it. Two other groups of hikers besides us did the same.

The Appalachian Trail up to the jump off trail is rocky and technical is some spots so make sure you wear proper hiking shoes. I watched a girl wearing improper shoes fall on her face. The .3 mile trail to Jump off is even worse lots of rocky climbs. So flip flops aren't a great idea. The climb is definitely worth the spectacular view.

Almost the exact same hike as Charlie's Bunion but a bit shorter and worse view in my opinion. The actual trail that goes up to the Jump Off can be hard to notice since the signage is not all that great but it is maybe 0.1 miles after you take a left at a split off and it will be on your right just after the sign. The view itself is pretty good but I found Charlies Bunion to be better. And if it is cloudy on the trail you probably shouldn't bother with the Jump Off since the view will almost certainly be blocked.

I would rate this trail as highly moderate/hard, ran into a bunch of wild life! One of the best Hikes I have ever done! Please be careful on the jump off. It's a straight off drop! Not much room for error In certain areas. Very rocky and over growth. There are lots of mini trails that go off the main one. I highly recommend hiking them. Usually lead to a nice view or a unique structures/formations.

We got there around 10:00am and it was very cloudy so we hiked to Charlie's Bunion and went back up the Jumpoff around 3:30, the views were much more impressive once the clouds had moved. The trail was not very populated.

Squirrels present. View was also nice. Not as cool as the squirrels.

Friday, June 09, 2017

The view is absolutely worth every step. I would definitely hike to this spot for the view again!

Friday, May 12, 2017

Broad and well maintained trail. I recommend doing Charlie's Bunion instead for a much better view. It took me 1 hour to get to the drop off. It's only 2.6M round trip to Charlie's bunion, or only 2M more on relatively little incline.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Amazing views.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Wow! That was a long hike as we added in the Charlie Bunion trail also. It was exactly what I imagined the AP trail to look like. The views are amazing. We saw deer, squirrel and birds. Great trails. Took amazing photos and drank so much water.

Friday, March 24, 2017

It was a thought hike in the icy path, but totally work it! Great views

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Thank god for trekking poles and hiking boots. Lots of rocks and tree roots on the trail and an incline all the way up. Once you make it to the top the view is absolutely breathtaking and worth every step.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

My favorite in the Smokies

Friday, February 10, 2017

Great side trip if you are staying at Ice Water Springs shelter. Great view of the Sawtooth range.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

This was an interesting hike. First I would like to add this hike is described as moderate. I post my reviews more towards those who are not the experienced hiker..so this probably should have been marked as difficult. But we thoroughly enjoyed this hike,there were some tough spots here and there as far as the incline,but once you reach Jump Off it's entirely worth it! The views were phenomenal,but please be careful the drop is literally a disorienting long vertical drop! Very intense ,loved it! It actually ended up being just under 7 miles. I was not anticipating it being a tourist spot,but after I realized when we parked in the Newfound Gap popular parking area..it was inevitable of how many tourists would be on the trail. I enjoy very little traffic when I am hiking but this hike had an amazing view which in the end was worth it. There were a lot of bear skat-so be cautious . If you come across a strong pungent odor, which is much a long the trail,that's bear skat for the most part. We saw a few droppings. All around enjoyed the outcome!!! Phenomenal views!!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

#views

Sunday, August 14, 2016

The hike to the Jump Off is usually combined with a hike out to Charlies Bunion or to Mt. LeConte. It is a great day hike to do by itself too. The Jump Off is a vertical cliff on Mt. Kephart that has spectacular views of Charlies Bunion, the Greenbrier area of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and on a clear day you can easily see Douglas Lake outside the park.

The route out the Appalachian Trail is a bit rocky and has some roots on it once you get about a 1/2 mile from the trailhead located at Newfound Gap. Hiking boots should be worn on this hike, but I have seen a lot of day hikers just go in sneakers. Views along the AT potion are limited, but be sure to follow any spur trails to the side of the trail since they usually lead to a good vista view.

Be careful on the spur trail out to the Jump Off since it is not a well maintained trail. Caution is also advised near the edge of the Jump Off since it is a LONG vertical drop.