Jump Off Trail via Appalachain Trail

Jump Off Trail via Appalachain Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

There is a restroom at Newfound Gap close to the trailhead.

A great day for hiking with scenic views in all directions, but you also have to watch your feet as there are rocks, roots, and some tricky footing here and there. But it is well worth the time and effort.

First weekend in October, the trail was pretty crowded with people getting out and enjoying the perfect weather to hike this scenic trail. The views were beautiful and clear, the air on the top of the ridge cool. I will say that the first mile and a half climbed enough to get my attention. Also, the first tenth of a mile after the Jump Off turn to the right had a lot of loose rocks and roots; I was glad to be in sturdy boots. Still, a classic hike I thoroughly enjoyed!

No, this trail is not poorly marked whatsoever. This is why you research point for point before going hiking. The big wooden sign reading "Jump Off" with an arrow up the trail is unmistakable. We go every year on Sept. 28th for our anniversary. Last year was clear views but this year, we got to hike in the clouds! It was amazing going right up to the edge and looking over the 500 foot drop off into just clouds, and watching them whirl and whisp in over the AT. Absolutely magical.

Poorly marked. Make sure you pay attention and follow the Jump off sign about 0.1 into the trail. A large group of hikers were congregated in front of the sign and we missed it, continuing on the AT going down for a good while before we decided to turn around knowing we missed it. Two other groups of hikers besides us did the same.

The Appalachian Trail up to the jump off trail is rocky and technical is some spots so make sure you wear proper hiking shoes. I watched a girl wearing improper shoes fall on her face. The .3 mile trail to Jump off is even worse lots of rocky climbs. So flip flops aren't a great idea. The climb is definitely worth the spectacular view.

Almost the exact same hike as Charlie's Bunion but a bit shorter and worse view in my opinion. The actual trail that goes up to the Jump Off can be hard to notice since the signage is not all that great but it is maybe 0.1 miles after you take a left at a split off and it will be on your right just after the sign. The view itself is pretty good but I found Charlies Bunion to be better. And if it is cloudy on the trail you probably shouldn't bother with the Jump Off since the view will almost certainly be blocked.

I would rate this trail as highly moderate/hard, ran into a bunch of wild life! One of the best Hikes I have ever done! Please be careful on the jump off. It's a straight off drop! Not much room for error In certain areas. Very rocky and over growth. There are lots of mini trails that go off the main one. I highly recommend hiking them. Usually lead to a nice view or a unique structures/formations.

We got there around 10:00am and it was very cloudy so we hiked to Charlie's Bunion and went back up the Jumpoff around 3:30, the views were much more impressive once the clouds had moved. The trail was not very populated.

Squirrels present. View was also nice. Not as cool as the squirrels.

The view is absolutely worth every step. I would definitely hike to this spot for the view again!