Iron Mountain Via Appalachian Trail is a 17.3 mile point-to-point trail located near Butler, Tennessee that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length17.3 miElevation gain2,536 ftRoute typePoint to point
Photos (77)
Activities (12)
Completed (50)
Jason Sabbides
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 28, 2019
Hiking

Ok... so AllTrails says this is a fifteen miler... my gps logged me at 19.2 miles from one end to the other. At 15 miles, I was no where near the exit point on the AT. Be aware!!!! AllTrails is a lie!!!!! No worries! Iron Mountain didn’t win this time! I saw three bears all full grown, and none of them gave a crap about me or my yelling.... I am a very experienced hiker, ex-military, and an avid ruck racer... a 20mile Ruck Race on normal elevation will take me about 6-7hrs with a 35lb pack.. this hike took me exactly 8hrs... and my GPS never lost signal, my final mileage was 19.2, with a 35lb pack. It’s rugged and a lot of going up, and going down... just be ready and pack extra water. I don’t know why the heck it says 15.3...

Greg Kramer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 25, 2019
HikingBlowdown

This is a checkout hike for doing AT maintenance needs. All blowdowns will be step overs at the worst on the NOBO trip back.

View Greg's activity
John Ripley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 20, 2018
Hiking

I hiked this in under 6.5 hrs. Great views. It's a good day hike for an experienced hiker or broken into two days for individuals wanting to take it easy.

Kalen Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 5, 2017

We saw a bear near where the trail crosses 421 on the north side about 2 weeks ago

Ava Sims Himes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2017
Hiking

I rate the trail 5* But I live in the house next to trailhead 54 just across the street from the towers. I love this and the Appalachian trail. I love Cross Mountain and call it and Iron Mountain home. I have walked both trails. 54 N leads to Damascus Virginia. I have walked as far as the hwy. crossing at 421. It's a good long hike with a big drop down into shady gap. And a good climb if you come back this way. The trail is beautiful as you near hwy 421. With lots of old tree growth ( big trees). It will take all day if you start by 9:00am. and have a couple good breaks like lunch and a few short breaks. Happy hiking trails my friends enjoy!!!!!

Valarie Cassini
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2015
First to Review

found it on cross mountain road, much farther up than the map shows. it will be across from the cell phone tower, before you get to the first driveway. beautifully maintained trail, beautiful view of for valley. much more strenuous than the AT up the street. much steeper. only went 2 miles out, not sure how far it goes. highly recommend.

Stanley Scott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 2, 2021
Backpacking
View Stanley's activity
Karen Tipton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
View Karen's activity
Crystal Lingerfelt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 2, 2020
View Crystal's activity
Beryl P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 25, 2019
View Beryl's activity
“ shiggs “
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 21, 2019
View “ shiggs's activity
Ava Himes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2019
Philip Byers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 4, 2019
View Philip's activity