Iron Mountain Via Appalachian Trail

Iron Mountain Via Appalachian Trail is a 15.3 mile point-to-point trail located near Butler, Tennessee that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

I hiked this in under 6.5 hrs. Great views. It's a good day hike for an experienced hiker or broken into two days for individuals wanting to take it easy.

Friday, May 05, 2017

We saw a bear near where the trail crosses 421 on the north side about 2 weeks ago

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

I rate the trail 5* But I live in the house next to trailhead 54 just across the street from the towers. I love this and the Appalachian trail. I love Cross Mountain and call it and Iron Mountain home. I have walked both trails. 54 N leads to Damascus Virginia. I have walked as far as the hwy. crossing at 421. It's a good long hike with a big drop down into shady gap. And a good climb if you come back this way. The trail is beautiful as you near hwy 421. With lots of old tree growth ( big trees). It will take all day if you start by 9:00am. and have a couple good breaks like lunch and a few short breaks. Happy hiking trails my friends enjoy!!!!!

Tuesday, October 06, 2015

found it on cross mountain road, much farther up than the map shows. it will be across from the cell phone tower, before you get to the first driveway. beautifully maintained trail, beautiful view of for valley. much more strenuous than the AT up the street. much steeper. only went 2 miles out, not sure how far it goes. highly recommend.