Injun Creek Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,469 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As you head up Injun Creek you will find an old Indian burial ground then a side trail to visit the McCarter Cemetery, passing many rock piles and stone fences. Next camp #32 where Injun Creek and Grapeyard Ridge trail cross. Go up Grapeyard trail, toward Roaring Fork, looking for a tree with very twisted branches.That tree signaled the spot to start the manway portion of the hike. This manway, in the old days, was used to get from Grapeyard Ridge to Greenbrier. Of course the trail is now an overgrown manway but the trail is still very visible with just a few blow downs. Follow the manway for about three miles before coming to a huge hollowed out chestnut stump. At that point take a right turn and go down a fairly steep hill. You will then be at the 2nd parking lot you passed to the trail head.

Not a very busy/trafficked trail. It had numerous down trees that had to be climbed over or under. Followed the river most of the way. There was a side shoot trail that lead to an old secluded cemetery. Overall we loved how quiet and alone we were.

Loved this trail. Spent a whole day out here with my wife. We made it to the steam engine (which we didn't know about before we went, so it was a nice surprise). Saw a huge black bear (it ran as soon as it saw us). The babbling creek, the rhododendron tunnels and wildflowers were beautiful. The reason it is not a five star review is because it was not very clear where the trail actually went to. Apparently it's a loop but I never saw any indication of that. Me and my wife ended up on the Grapeyard Ridge trail up above the steam engine and had to turn around and hike our way back to the camp, where there is a turn to continue the Injun trail, so this took longer than expected (but in my opinion was worth it, because we got to see the steam engine). Also, I love getting to the end of a hike and being rewarded with an awesome view. This place didn't have that. But the old abandoned structures, graveyard, sunken steam engine and wildlife made this quite worth the day!!

nice little trail. easy. several other unmarked trails along the trail. don't get lost.

Nice trail if you want solitude this is the trail for you! I hike up to the junction for Greenbrier Road, was trying to find the steam engine in the creek , however the trail was so overgrown this may be a winter hike so I can find it! I hike the area but just to overgrown for me to figure out! I saw the old tractor parts right off the trail.

I have walked this many times. Peaceful. Babbling creek. Huge trees provide lots of shade. Usually not crowded. Just a leisure trail to enjoy peace and beauty in God’s Country. Sitting by the rushing creek afterwards is heaven to my ears.

Fri May 31 2019

I really enjoyed this trail; you really feel immersed in the woods. But the rest of my family did not feel the same. The trail is very narrow with room for only one to walk, and has foliage overflowing onto the path so your legs are frequently being touched (poison ivy everywhere). The person in front was constantly running into spider webs. We never saw the cemetery or the engine; everyone wanted to turn back after 1.5 miles due to the bugs. But if you dress appropriately and wear bug spray, you're fine. It is a gradual incline and stays along the creek so you have the constant babble of the water. Never passed a soul; very peaceful. No views on the part we did, which the kids found more boring.

Thu Apr 11 2019

The water is the main aesthetic feature of this moderately difficult hike. See my short 5-10 second videos and on Insta under #5secondwaterfall. I’m an elevation kind of guy, with mountain views or I would have given the trail a five star rating. If you like water and foot bridges this is one you won’t want to pass up in the area of Greenbriar.

Sun Mar 24 2019

This trail quickly became our favorite after today. The scenery is gorgeous and so peaceful. The locomotive is a plus of course.

Wed Mar 20 2019

There’s not a spectacular view at the end of the hike but it’s very pleasant overall. We saw 3 deer. After the three bridges, the trail flattened out more and it was a fun hike.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Joe a local man recommended this lovely trail to us. 321 to Greenbrier to ranger station on right. Trail not marked. Trail followed the rushing creek almost the whole way. There were a few trees down and the trail was slightly muddy at a few points. There were very few people on it and was very enjoyable. When you arrive at the camp 32 sign stay left and approx. 1/4 mile down you will see engine in creek on the left. Would highly recommend doing this hike. 3-10-2019 Paul & Pauline

Sun Nov 25 2018

Took our 3 and 7 year old boys on this trail Thanksgiving week. It was the only one we went on that didn’t have other travelers, which was nice. The creeks are everywhere are beautiful, and we loved the mossy log bridge. Also, very close drive to Emerts Covered Bridge!

Fri Nov 23 2018

Awesome hike. We hit all the landmarks and will try to give clear directions. Trail head right behind the ranger house as described. First goal is the Cemetery. You will cross three log bridges. See the Cemetery sign. At the sign go right. Follow the trail down and go left at 1st fork. Cross a log bridge. The trail goes off to the right and up the side of a fairly steep hill. The cemetery is maybe 1/4 or a little more from the sign up an incline on the edge of the hill. Very well worth the side trip! Go back down to the sign. Now go right to get back on the trail. Next landmark is Camp 32. Watch to the right - you can see small Camp sign off the trail. That marks camp 32. It's on top of a little ridge. Back on the trail - on the way to the engine. Keep left at the intersections - you will see a trail sign, go toward Greenbriar Rd. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the engine. The engine is right before a sharp left turn up the mountain and a creek crossing. On your left look down to see the engine in the creek right before the left turn. We hiked in November and there were 3 creek crossings after Camp 32 that did NOT have bridges and needed some agility to cross without getting wet. There are many stone features - walls, old fireplaces, who knows what else along the trail. Didn't see any wildlife - and actually 2 other hiking parties on the trail. That's why 4 not 5 stars.

Wed Jul 11 2018

Ran this 4 times, each time a little farther until I made it to the steam engine. Great training with steady ascending elevation and various terrain. Also, great downhill for technical footwork training. Several easy river crossings with many opportunities to see the wildlife.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Great trail, widely unknown and unmarked at the road compared to the other popular trails such as Ramsey Cascades and Porter Creek. This wonderful trail was like a lush zen garden that followed a very active creek with mini rapids, pools, and mini waterfalls. The soothing sounds and sight of a running creek was heavenly while hiking. As others have stated, you enter to the left of the ranger residence on Greenbriar Rd about 1 mile in off 321. There are a few graveled parking spots next to the road off of the resident driveway. Only one downed tree you have to duck under near the beginning of the trail. After that, the way is clear. Stay left of any sign or intersection if you want to see the ancient steam engine sitting in a creek off to the left. It’s not a railroad locomotive type engine but one with big wheels used off track in logging nearly 100 years ago. I would love to know all the true history behind it besides the operator losing control from the stories I “googled.” It had to tumble down the mountain from somewhere that was once important to the area during the logging era. It would be interesting to hike and see the spot it actually fell from. This was far enough in for me to turn around and head back. It was a great hike that I will repeat, hopefully with company next time. There is enough cover that I actually started while it was raining and stayed dry. Not like needing sunglasses on this trail while trees have leaves.

Thu Mar 15 2018

The trail had a slow incline so it made it relatively easy. Several downed trees provided a small obstacle. Saw a couple doe on the hike we made which was so cool. Very enjoyable.

Wed Oct 11 2017

For starters the trail head is to the left of the ranger station/private residence. Take the trail in for about a mile and hang a right when you see the sign for the cemetery. In about a half a mile you’ll take a switchback up and you’ll end up at the cemetery! The trail is peaceful and relatively flat. We only saw 2 people. (Ignore my recorded time, we stopped a lot to take photos and video.) The trail was pretty slippery after rain so wear hiking boots. And have a spider web stick ready. Also bug spray yourself to death beforehand! If you do it this way it’s 3.2 miles.

Fri Sep 22 2017

Very important note - this trail is NOT a loop. It perhaps was once upon a time but now the second half of the trail is completely inaccessible. I recommend going out and back again with the steam engine being your half way point. To get the steam engine, you need to take a left at the signage which points you towards Greenbriar. It's about 15 minutes past the signage in the stream to your left. The steam engine is awesome, however I wouldn't make the side trip to the cemetery unless that's your thing.

Sat Aug 12 2017

There is a lot to see on this trail. I recommend keeping your eyes peeled on the sides for worn paths to see artifacts. Watch out for spider webs stretching across the trail, there were alot. we were out for several hours and only saw two other people. The halfway point for the "loop" appears to no longer be accessable. you won't even realize you've gotten to that point because there is another trail that meets up with it and you feel like it is just winding to the left. Thankfully I checked my GPS and it showed we were wayyy off trail at one point so we were able to head back the way we came. we found the spot where the confusion happened. there is a large chest high tree fall and it didn't look like the trail continued on the other side of it. I would have climbed over it to explore but we had already gotten 2 miles off course and I didn't want to get lost again. Tree falls are common but they are trimmed back for the most part. i think the one that cuts off the trail has been there for years now. Because of this, we didn't get to see the engine. However we did get to see all of the other cool stuff along the way. Everything was beautiful.

Sat Jun 10 2017

We went yesterday and it wasn't bad. A little hard to find since it isn't marked, but found the entrance by this private residence. Turned around almost halfway through due to some branches in the way and had someone with us that didn't feel comfortable climbing over them. Didn't get to see the cemetery but saw the rock wall.

Thu May 11 2017

This trail is well maintained and a very smooth walk. Not many rocks and roots. I've hiked a third of the AT and many other trails and this trail is smooth. Alas timing is everything in life and my timing on this trail sucked on a micro- and macro- scale. I got to the trail near sunset. I knew it would take me a couple of hours to complete. At the start there was evidence that a wind storm or micro burst had been through recently. Deadfall crossed the trail but someone had cut paths through it. (By the way I went clockwise on the loop.) I made it to the McCarter cemetery and had to go through three small deadfall patches before coming to a very large, impassable one about 300 yards into the side trail. I'm sure I didn't miss the cemetery by much. I didn't have time to clear through that mess and make it the rest of the way up and so I turned around. Next time I will get there. There is a really nice campsite at the top of the trail before making the turn. It would be a great spot for lunch or dinner. You need a backcountry camping permit to camp there. After I made the turn at the top I began to hit deadfall after deadfall. Small stuff that you have to through - not over or under. It was time consuming and I didn't want to risk that being the case all the way down so I turned around and went back the way I came. I wish I could say that I saw the steam engine but again didn't have time to look for it. I was both days and hours late in my trek.

Thu May 11 2017

Sun Apr 30 2017

Trail is very rocky and rooty. After the rains, the waterfall half way up was splendid.

Wed Jul 06 2016

The trailhead is just beyond the ranger station. Beautiful hike on a narrow, woodsy trail along creek.

Mon May 23 2016

This is a moderate trail to hike with a lot of foliage along the way. You do cross several streams in the process and the canopy cover keeps the trail fairly cool. The payoff comes at the end when you come upon Injun Creek and the old steam engine wreckage.

Wed Apr 13 2016

Great little trail. Very pretty area with small creeks and bridges. Cemetary was very nice and super interesting. Never saw the "Injun" which was disappointing but had a great time. Not a soul on the trail so a very quiet and peaceful hike. Beautiful stone walls, flowers and bridges!

Tue Nov 10 2015

What a beautiful hike with lots of history. Seen a young bear and encountered a swarm of yellow jackets. Note to self - being after bite bee spray and Benadryl on future hikes

Fri Apr 04 2014

Hiked this trail today, after hiking Porters creek to the falls. It is not a hard trail and seeing the steam engine at the end made it worthwhile. As a bonus there were many yellow trilliums just opening up. We love finding old homesites and cemeteries and there was plenty to see along this trail.

Mon Nov 18 2013

Nice moderate hike. Not over crowded. Finding all of the different things to look at is tricky. Worth it all the way