Injun Creek Loop Trail

Injun Creek Loop Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

As you head up Injun Creek you will find an old Indian burial ground then a side trail to visit the McCarter Cemetery, passing many rock piles and stone fences. Next camp #32 where Injun Creek and Grapeyard Ridge trail cross. Go up Grapeyard trail, toward Roaring Fork, looking for a tree with very twisted branches.That tree signaled the spot to start the manway portion of the hike. This manway, in the old days, was used to get from Grapeyard Ridge to Greenbrier. Of course the trail is now an overgrown manway but the trail is still very visible with just a few blow downs. Follow the manway for about three miles before coming to a huge hollowed out chestnut stump. At that point take a right turn and go down a fairly steep hill. You will then be at the 2nd parking lot you passed to the trail head.

There is a lot to see on this trail. I recommend keeping your eyes peeled on the sides for worn paths to see artifacts. Watch out for spider webs stretching across the trail, there were alot. we were out for several hours and only saw two other people. The halfway point for the "loop" appears to no longer be accessable. you won't even realize you've gotten to that point because there is another trail that meets up with it and you feel like it is just winding to the left. Thankfully I checked my GPS and it showed we were wayyy off trail at one point so we were able to head back the way we came. we found the spot where the confusion happened. there is a large chest high tree fall and it didn't look like the trail continued on the other side of it. I would have climbed over it to explore but we had already gotten 2 miles off course and I didn't want to get lost again. Tree falls are common but they are trimmed back for the most part. i think the one that cuts off the trail has been there for years now. Because of this, we didn't get to see the engine. However we did get to see all of the other cool stuff along the way. Everything was beautiful.

We went yesterday and it wasn't bad. A little hard to find since it isn't marked, but found the entrance by this private residence. Turned around almost halfway through due to some branches in the way and had someone with us that didn't feel comfortable climbing over them. Didn't get to see the cemetery but saw the rock wall.

This trail is well maintained and a very smooth walk. Not many rocks and roots. I've hiked a third of the AT and many other trails and this trail is smooth. Alas timing is everything in life and my timing on this trail sucked on a micro- and macro- scale. I got to the trail near sunset. I knew it would take me a couple of hours to complete. At the start there was evidence that a wind storm or micro burst had been through recently. Deadfall crossed the trail but someone had cut paths through it. (By the way I went clockwise on the loop.)

I made it to the McCarter cemetery and had to go through three small deadfall patches before coming to a very large, impassable one about 300 yards into the side trail. I'm sure I didn't miss the cemetery by much. I didn't have time to clear through that mess and make it the rest of the way up and so I turned around. Next time I will get there.

There is a really nice campsite at the top of the trail before making the turn. It would be a great spot for lunch or dinner. You need a backcountry camping permit to camp there. After I made the turn at the top I began to hit deadfall after deadfall. Small stuff that you have to through - not over or under. It was time consuming and I didn't want to risk that being the case all the way down so I turned around and went back the way I came.

I wish I could say that I saw the steam engine but again didn't have time to look for it. I was both days and hours late in my trek.

Trail is very rocky and rooty. After the rains, the waterfall half way up was splendid.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

The trailhead is just beyond the ranger station.
Beautiful hike on a narrow, woodsy trail along creek.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Monday, May 23, 2016

This is a moderate trail to hike with a lot of foliage along the way. You do cross several streams in the process and the canopy cover keeps the trail fairly cool. The payoff comes at the end when you come upon Injun Creek and the old steam engine wreckage.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Great little trail. Very pretty area with small creeks and bridges. Cemetary was very nice and super interesting. Never saw the "Injun" which was disappointing but had a great time. Not a soul on the trail so a very quiet and peaceful hike. Beautiful stone walls, flowers and bridges!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

What a beautiful hike with lots of history. Seen a young bear and encountered a swarm of yellow jackets. Note to self - being after bite bee spray and Benadryl on future hikes

Thursday, October 01, 2015