Indian Flats Falls via Middle Prong Trail

Indian Flats Falls via Middle Prong Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

My 12 year old son and I did this last Saturday. It is my favorite hike so far. The trail runs along the river for the majority of it with at least 4 waterfalls during the hike. Steady incline but worth every step. We were also able to find the 1920's Cadillac and an old chimney on the way. This is a pretty rocky trail so I suggest trekking poles. They help with the rocks and the two creek crossings (very shallow). We passed several hikers on this trail, so it is very popular. I loved it so much I'm doing it again next weekend. Enjoy!

Did this trail by myself on February 7 2017. I had the trail all by myself after about a mile in. I only passed a couple of fishermen. Beautiful the whole way! Indian Flats Falls is a nice, three tiered waterfall.

I hiked this trail with my sister and best friend this past weekend. We really enjoyed it! It was an easy hike, but it was long. Roughly about 3 hours to get up to the falls, and 2 hours to get back down. It seemed to go on forever to us slow-paced beginners! The falls were beautiful and very worth the effort though.
You have to keep an eye out for the little path that branches off the main trail. It's easy to miss, and there's no official sign. It's right on a switchback, and other hikers had tried to mark it with a stack of rocks and a glove hanging from the branch of a small tree.

We did this trail on Labor Day. There were a lot of people on the trail. It is hard to really call this a trail. It is more like walking on a gravel road that is about 12 feet wide. The trail is the old railroad bed the logging company used to get the timber off the mountain. You can still see the old rails in a few places. The trail is rocky and you can see where horses have been using the trail. We enjoyed this trail and will do it again. We also walked up and down the Panther Creek trail. We plan on making a loop out of the two trails next time.

Wonderful stream views,cascades, history and the finale waterfall. Nice grade usually wide enough to walk side by side and chat. It's one of our favorites to take out of town visitors of any skill level because you can always turn around and feel fulfilled. The only drawback is it's a bit Rocky

Great trail and the waterfalls along the way are amazing.

Well worth it!!

Wow! You might miss the turn onto unmarked trail after two footbridges and two switchbacks! Beautiful.

Beautiful. Would defiantly do it again.

This was a beautiful trail the entire way. At the beginning it is kind of crowded, but after you go a few miles there are fewer and fewer people. I would do this again. The parking lot was busy, but we could still find parking.

Beautiful Falls this hike is one of the best I've been on things of interest from one end to the other .

Hiker "M8's" No one ever say which way to go here. FYI there is a sign but does not distinguish which trail goes which way. If you looking for Middle Prong ie (in route to Indian Flats Falls) stay to the left along the creek. DO NOT GO to the right trail which is "Thunderhead Trail". As for missing the turn off to Indian Flats, If you paying the slightest attention you can clearly see the cut off and hear the falls about 50 yards away. It will be on your right in the middle of a rare switchback up til this point. It says 8 miles with 1200' incline but i stopped read 20 minutes or so and went the wrong way at first and was still driving home by 1pm. I had arrived at 8am with about 6 cars already there.

Another review mentions that this trail is not marked. There is a very good reason for that: Indian Flats Falls is not a trail unto itself, but rather a short side attraction along the Middle Prong Trail. Note all of the tracks on this page for Indian Flats Falls are actually tracks of Middle Prong! The falls themselves are very nice and well worth the detour. Follow Middle Prong to a slightly obscure side trail at 35.59324 N 083.63224 W. The falls themselves are about 1,000 yards down this side trail at 35.59254 N 083.63278 W. When I visited on 6/29/14, this side trail was rocky, muddy, washed out, overgrown, and full of insects. Although short, you need to use caution on the descent to the falls and the ascent back to the main trail. I would not recommend it for small children. Nevertheless, this is a nice detour and Indian Flats Falls should not be missed!

We hiked this trail in 2013. The hike is fairly easy without a lot of steep parts. There is water a good portion of the way up. We saw a lot of salamanders along the way. We found an old car on a faint trail leading off of the main trail. We saw a lot of snakes along the trail including a rattlesnake. The falls were nice and we were able to get some nice pictures.

Eric and Karen

I'm giving this hike a 5 only because of the beauty of the creek/falls. This trail is great for beginners since I'm pretty sure you could ride a hover round on this trail. I felt like I was walking up a driveway which I did not like but the beauty of the area made the hike worth it. Great for families because even if you don't make it to the falls you will love the beauty of this hike.