Indian Flats Falls via Middle Prong Trail

Indian Flats Falls via Middle Prong Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Hiked this trail with my wife on Saturday the 11/11/17. We loved it. The Middle Prong is a beautiful stream. Indian Flats Falls is great. The blue piece of tape noted as hanging on a tree was not found. The small stack of rocks was at the entrance to the side trail to the falls, but it's very small. We continued our hike up to Campsite 28 for lunch. When we came back by the side trail for Indian Flats Falls, someone had knocked over the stack of rocks.
It would be nice if the Park Service would put up a directional sign for the Falls!
Found the abandoned car on the way back down after receiving some advice.

If this is your first time hiking this trail stop in at the Tremont Welcome center and ask for some details. The falls are not marked well, just a blue plastic strip hanging from the tree. It is a different type of trail that’s wide and fairly flat with a 4 mile incline. We bought the pamphlet and loved reading about the history. Also Loved the stream beside us with some awesome swift water over huge rocks. It was very exciting to find the old car. This is one of our favorite hikes.

This was a great hike! I did it with my 6th grade girl for a special mother daughter day trip. Loved walking beside
Water most of the way, and so many butterflies! We were able to find the old abandoned car which was really cool.
When you see a rock tower on your right there is a little trail that takes you to it right off the main trail..definitely worth looking for. We were the only ones on the trail the whole time, and had the falls out to our selves.

Sick!

Been a favorite for years. Hiked with grandkids over Labor Day.Started very early in the morning and had the falls to ourselves for almost an hour. Observed numerous salamanders hiding in the rocks near the water's edge

Loved this trail. It has been favorite in the GSMNP so far.

Hiked the trail a couple of days ago. There were very few other hikers so it was great basically having the trail to ourselves. Sadly, the falls eluded us as there are no markers and dummy me didn't think to open the app for further guidance while we were hiking (yes, my first time using this app). I later figured out that because I had downloaded the trail map I could have looked at the map on my phone (even tho no service) to see how close we were... nonetheless, we had a great hike - the river and foliage were fantastic and we even saw a bear cross the trail 30-40 yards in front of us! Can't wait to come back!

Beautiful hike! Trail down to the waterfall is steep and rocky but well worth the refreshingly cold water waiting for you. Had a 4 and 9 year old that completed the hike. It took about 4.5 hours round trip.

By far the most beautiful hike I have ever seen! The entire journey up features the creek and waterfalls. The trail is wide and full of gravel to welcome all level hikers. Don't let the 8 mile trek scare you off, it is well worth it! Even if you are unable to make it up all the way don't worry, every step has a surprise waiting for you. When you're on your way up to the falls you will encounter a wide "footbridge" #2, shortly followed by a 4ft rock wall. When you see the wall, you will see a narrow trail. Use your ears and you will find the falls! Enjoy!

we found this when someone walking back from the trail told us about it . its a waterfall you do not want to miss loved it

I did this hike with my 4 and 6 year old kids. Nice hike with beautiful scenery. Multiple waterfalls along the way to look at. The trail to the Falls is easy to miss. I missed it and ended up about 2 miles from the Appalachian Trail. We backtracked and finally found the trail. Wow! It was secluded and beautiful! We ate a quick lunch and the kids played in the water, which wasn't too deep. We were thoroughly tired by the time we got back to the car...probably due to the extra 4 miles we hiked. All in all, wonderful hike and I would recommend...probably with older children.

A great hike through the woods along a stream. Many waterfalls to see. Had lunch at the last waterfall. Wide trail with steady but fairly easy going incline. Only saw a few other hikers. Very nice.

Waterfalls everywhere!! Water running hard from recent rains. Great trail. Lots to see-flowers, butterflies, beautiful mushrooms, and too many waterfalls to count!! Indian Flats Falls was really nice with strong flow. Great spot for lunch!! Took us 4 hours and 15 minutes round trip not counting stop at Falls. Don't miss this one!!

My 12 year old son and I did this last Saturday. It is my favorite hike so far. The trail runs along the river for the majority of it with at least 4 waterfalls during the hike. Steady incline but worth every step. We were also able to find the 1920's Cadillac and an old chimney on the way. This is a pretty rocky trail so I suggest trekking poles. They help with the rocks and the two creek crossings (very shallow). We passed several hikers on this trail, so it is very popular. I loved it so much I'm doing it again next weekend. Enjoy!

Did this trail by myself on February 7 2017. I had the trail all by myself after about a mile in. I only passed a couple of fishermen. Beautiful the whole way! Indian Flats Falls is a nice, three tiered waterfall.

I hiked this trail with my sister and best friend this past weekend. We really enjoyed it! It was an easy hike, but it was long. Roughly about 3 hours to get up to the falls, and 2 hours to get back down. It seemed to go on forever to us slow-paced beginners! The falls were beautiful and very worth the effort though.
You have to keep an eye out for the little path that branches off the main trail. It's easy to miss, and there's no official sign. It's right on a switchback, and other hikers had tried to mark it with a stack of rocks and a glove hanging from the branch of a small tree.

Monday, September 05, 2016

We did this trail on Labor Day. There were a lot of people on the trail. It is hard to really call this a trail. It is more like walking on a gravel road that is about 12 feet wide. The trail is the old railroad bed the logging company used to get the timber off the mountain. You can still see the old rails in a few places. The trail is rocky and you can see where horses have been using the trail. We enjoyed this trail and will do it again. We also walked up and down the Panther Creek trail. We plan on making a loop out of the two trails next time.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Wonderful stream views,cascades, history and the finale waterfall. Nice grade usually wide enough to walk side by side and chat. It's one of our favorites to take out of town visitors of any skill level because you can always turn around and feel fulfilled. The only drawback is it's a bit Rocky

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Great trail and the waterfalls along the way are amazing.

Monday, May 30, 2016