Indian Flats Falls via Middle Prong Trail

Indian Flats Falls via Middle Prong Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Hiked the trail a couple of days ago. There were very few other hikers so it was great basically having the trail to ourselves. Sadly, the falls eluded us as there are no markers and dummy me didn't think to open the app for further guidance while we were hiking (yes, my first time using this app). I later figured out that because I had downloaded the trail map I could have looked at the map on my phone (even tho no service) to see how close we were... nonetheless, we had a great hike - the river and foliage were fantastic and we even saw a bear cross the trail 30-40 yards in front of us! Can't wait to come back!

Beautiful hike! Trail down to the waterfall is steep and rocky but well worth the refreshingly cold water waiting for you. Had a 4 and 9 year old that completed the hike. It took about 4.5 hours round trip.

By far the most beautiful hike I have ever seen! The entire journey up features the creek and waterfalls. The trail is wide and full of gravel to welcome all level hikers. Don't let the 8 mile trek scare you off, it is well worth it! Even if you are unable to make it up all the way don't worry, every step has a surprise waiting for you. When you're on your way up to the falls you will encounter a wide "footbridge" #2, shortly followed by a 4ft rock wall. When you see the wall, you will see a narrow trail. Use your ears and you will find the falls! Enjoy!

we found this when someone walking back from the trail told us about it . its a waterfall you do not want to miss loved it

I did this hike with my 4 and 6 year old kids. Nice hike with beautiful scenery. Multiple waterfalls along the way to look at. The trail to the Falls is easy to miss. I missed it and ended up about 2 miles from the Appalachian Trail. We backtracked and finally found the trail. Wow! It was secluded and beautiful! We ate a quick lunch and the kids played in the water, which wasn't too deep. We were thoroughly tired by the time we got back to the car...probably due to the extra 4 miles we hiked. All in all, wonderful hike and I would recommend...probably with older children.

A great hike through the woods along a stream. Many waterfalls to see. Had lunch at the last waterfall. Wide trail with steady but fairly easy going incline. Only saw a few other hikers. Very nice.

Waterfalls everywhere!! Water running hard from recent rains. Great trail. Lots to see-flowers, butterflies, beautiful mushrooms, and too many waterfalls to count!! Indian Flats Falls was really nice with strong flow. Great spot for lunch!! Took us 4 hours and 15 minutes round trip not counting stop at Falls. Don't miss this one!!

My 12 year old son and I did this last Saturday. It is my favorite hike so far. The trail runs along the river for the majority of it with at least 4 waterfalls during the hike. Steady incline but worth every step. We were also able to find the 1920's Cadillac and an old chimney on the way. This is a pretty rocky trail so I suggest trekking poles. They help with the rocks and the two creek crossings (very shallow). We passed several hikers on this trail, so it is very popular. I loved it so much I'm doing it again next weekend. Enjoy!

Did this trail by myself on February 7 2017. I had the trail all by myself after about a mile in. I only passed a couple of fishermen. Beautiful the whole way! Indian Flats Falls is a nice, three tiered waterfall.

I hiked this trail with my sister and best friend this past weekend. We really enjoyed it! It was an easy hike, but it was long. Roughly about 3 hours to get up to the falls, and 2 hours to get back down. It seemed to go on forever to us slow-paced beginners! The falls were beautiful and very worth the effort though.
You have to keep an eye out for the little path that branches off the main trail. It's easy to miss, and there's no official sign. It's right on a switchback, and other hikers had tried to mark it with a stack of rocks and a glove hanging from the branch of a small tree.

We did this trail on Labor Day. There were a lot of people on the trail. It is hard to really call this a trail. It is more like walking on a gravel road that is about 12 feet wide. The trail is the old railroad bed the logging company used to get the timber off the mountain. You can still see the old rails in a few places. The trail is rocky and you can see where horses have been using the trail. We enjoyed this trail and will do it again. We also walked up and down the Panther Creek trail. We plan on making a loop out of the two trails next time.

Wonderful stream views,cascades, history and the finale waterfall. Nice grade usually wide enough to walk side by side and chat. It's one of our favorites to take out of town visitors of any skill level because you can always turn around and feel fulfilled. The only drawback is it's a bit Rocky