Indian Flats Falls via Middle Prong Trail

Indian Flats Falls via Middle Prong Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Make sure you bear left at the beginning of the trail over the bridge. Beautiful waters.

We hiked this trail last week and absolutely loved it. Long trek but very easy hike. If you are into waterfalls and small cascades this is the trail for you. The 3 big waterfalls also have swimming pools at the bottom to cool off in The hike is right along the water most of the way. We also found the skeleton of the old Pontiac off of the trail. The only reason we did find it is previous hikes had made an arrow out of branches pointing towards the small trail to the right. It was really cool! I also saw a bear run across the trail at about 2 or 3 miles in. So keep your eyes peeled. My boyfriend is a beginner at hiking and did this 8 mile hike pretty easily. We will definitely be back. Would have added photos, but didn’t have the option to.

The hike was beautiful with a few waterfalls along the way. There are many side paths to get better views of the river and falls as well. The last half mile or so goes past the final waterfall up an incline to a fork where it meets other trails. If you are just looking for the waterfalls and not for the next connection point I would turn around after the last waterfall that you can see from a wooden walk bridge. The bridge has no rails and is wide enough for a car to drive over. Over all good hike! I would definitely recommend bringing bug spray!!

One of my favorite hikes. Walking along the creek was so relaxing and beautiful.

This is a fairly easy trail and one of my all time favorites. It has beautiful cascades along the way to the pretty waterfall.

not a bad overall hike, basically following an old logging road. if your not paying attention you will miss the hiker signs for the car and the falls, redid the wood arrows while I was out.

Hiked Feb. 17 2018. With all of the rain the creeks and water falls were awesome. Trail to ourselves. Found the old car and found the falls at four miles. Had to really watch for the trail to the falls. Not marked at all. New favorite hike.

Great moderate hike. Trail splits at beginning of trailhead. Stay left or you will go 1.9 miles out of your way. Runs along river most of the way. Multiple small waterfalls. Slight uphill trail all the way up.

Hiked this trail with my wife on Saturday the 11/11/17. We loved it. The Middle Prong is a beautiful stream. Indian Flats Falls is great. The blue piece of tape noted as hanging on a tree was not found. The small stack of rocks was at the entrance to the side trail to the falls, but it's very small. We continued our hike up to Campsite 28 for lunch. When we came back by the side trail for Indian Flats Falls, someone had knocked over the stack of rocks.
It would be nice if the Park Service would put up a directional sign for the Falls!
Found the abandoned car on the way back down after receiving some advice.

If this is your first time hiking this trail stop in at the Tremont Welcome center and ask for some details. The falls are not marked well, just a blue plastic strip hanging from the tree. It is a different type of trail that’s wide and fairly flat with a 4 mile incline. We bought the pamphlet and loved reading about the history. Also Loved the stream beside us with some awesome swift water over huge rocks. It was very exciting to find the old car. This is one of our favorite hikes.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

This was a great hike! I did it with my 6th grade girl for a special mother daughter day trip. Loved walking beside
Water most of the way, and so many butterflies! We were able to find the old abandoned car which was really cool.
When you see a rock tower on your right there is a little trail that takes you to it right off the main trail..definitely worth looking for. We were the only ones on the trail the whole time, and had the falls out to our selves.

Monday, October 02, 2017

Sick!

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Been a favorite for years. Hiked with grandkids over Labor Day.Started very early in the morning and had the falls to ourselves for almost an hour. Observed numerous salamanders hiding in the rocks near the water's edge

Monday, September 25, 2017

Loved this trail. It has been favorite in the GSMNP so far.

Friday, August 11, 2017

Hiked the trail a couple of days ago. There were very few other hikers so it was great basically having the trail to ourselves. Sadly, the falls eluded us as there are no markers and dummy me didn't think to open the app for further guidance while we were hiking (yes, my first time using this app). I later figured out that because I had downloaded the trail map I could have looked at the map on my phone (even tho no service) to see how close we were... nonetheless, we had a great hike - the river and foliage were fantastic and we even saw a bear cross the trail 30-40 yards in front of us! Can't wait to come back!

Friday, July 21, 2017

Beautiful hike! Trail down to the waterfall is steep and rocky but well worth the refreshingly cold water waiting for you. Had a 4 and 9 year old that completed the hike. It took about 4.5 hours round trip.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

By far the most beautiful hike I have ever seen! The entire journey up features the creek and waterfalls. The trail is wide and full of gravel to welcome all level hikers. Don't let the 8 mile trek scare you off, it is well worth it! Even if you are unable to make it up all the way don't worry, every step has a surprise waiting for you. When you're on your way up to the falls you will encounter a wide "footbridge" #2, shortly followed by a 4ft rock wall. When you see the wall, you will see a narrow trail. Use your ears and you will find the falls! Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

we found this when someone walking back from the trail told us about it . its a waterfall you do not want to miss loved it

Sunday, May 21, 2017

I did this hike with my 4 and 6 year old kids. Nice hike with beautiful scenery. Multiple waterfalls along the way to look at. The trail to the Falls is easy to miss. I missed it and ended up about 2 miles from the Appalachian Trail. We backtracked and finally found the trail. Wow! It was secluded and beautiful! We ate a quick lunch and the kids played in the water, which wasn't too deep. We were thoroughly tired by the time we got back to the car...probably due to the extra 4 miles we hiked. All in all, wonderful hike and I would recommend...probably with older children.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

A great hike through the woods along a stream. Many waterfalls to see. Had lunch at the last waterfall. Wide trail with steady but fairly easy going incline. Only saw a few other hikers. Very nice.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Waterfalls everywhere!! Water running hard from recent rains. Great trail. Lots to see-flowers, butterflies, beautiful mushrooms, and too many waterfalls to count!! Indian Flats Falls was really nice with strong flow. Great spot for lunch!! Took us 4 hours and 15 minutes round trip not counting stop at Falls. Don't miss this one!!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

My 12 year old son and I did this last Saturday. It is my favorite hike so far. The trail runs along the river for the majority of it with at least 4 waterfalls during the hike. Steady incline but worth every step. We were also able to find the 1920's Cadillac and an old chimney on the way. This is a pretty rocky trail so I suggest trekking poles. They help with the rocks and the two creek crossings (very shallow). We passed several hikers on this trail, so it is very popular. I loved it so much I'm doing it again next weekend. Enjoy!

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Did this trail by myself on February 7 2017. I had the trail all by myself after about a mile in. I only passed a couple of fishermen. Beautiful the whole way! Indian Flats Falls is a nice, three tiered waterfall.

Monday, January 16, 2017

I hiked this trail with my sister and best friend this past weekend. We really enjoyed it! It was an easy hike, but it was long. Roughly about 3 hours to get up to the falls, and 2 hours to get back down. It seemed to go on forever to us slow-paced beginners! The falls were beautiful and very worth the effort though.
You have to keep an eye out for the little path that branches off the main trail. It's easy to miss, and there's no official sign. It's right on a switchback, and other hikers had tried to mark it with a stack of rocks and a glove hanging from the branch of a small tree.

Monday, September 05, 2016

We did this trail on Labor Day. There were a lot of people on the trail. It is hard to really call this a trail. It is more like walking on a gravel road that is about 12 feet wide. The trail is the old railroad bed the logging company used to get the timber off the mountain. You can still see the old rails in a few places. The trail is rocky and you can see where horses have been using the trail. We enjoyed this trail and will do it again. We also walked up and down the Panther Creek trail. We plan on making a loop out of the two trails next time.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Wonderful stream views,cascades, history and the finale waterfall. Nice grade usually wide enough to walk side by side and chat. It's one of our favorites to take out of town visitors of any skill level because you can always turn around and feel fulfilled. The only drawback is it's a bit Rocky

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Great trail and the waterfalls along the way are amazing.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Well worth it!!

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Wow! You might miss the turn onto unmarked trail after two footbridges and two switchbacks! Beautiful.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Beautiful. Would defiantly do it again.