Ijams Nature Center Trail

Ijams Nature Center Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Knoxville, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Ijams is a nature center in south Knoxville that has over 20 different trails and an old quarry with a lake in it.

Always a nice and easy hike. Great for kids with the nature center and play area.

The lake side trail up to the cemetery was a bit challenging . Other than that this place has easy hikes . Love the sights tho - very relaxing for a short Sunday hike.

Loved this trail can't wait to try another trail with my dogs.

Great trails and well maintained.

I love Ijams, there are trails for everyone from beginners to seasoned hikers.

Great

Favorite trail to run so far in Knoxville. Not sure if many (or any) other trails in the area where you can run for 3 hours without going over the same ground. Spectacular forest trails! Wish some of the bike trails and hiking trails were more clearly marked but I’m sure overlapping maps are out there. If your first time exploring be sure to allow extra time for an unhurried experience.

Great hike with some ups and downs that gets your heart pumping.

paddle sports
Thursday, April 20, 2017

Ijams is a great place to hike in town. There are many trails to choose from or to combine if you want a longer hike. I have knee trouble from time to time so I can go there and have a nice hike on more even paths or I can do some climbing if my knee will cooperate. They have rentals at the quarry for kayaking and paddle boarding or you can bring your own and go on the river at the river landing. Very nice ramp there! You don't have to get your feet wet! Parking is pretty close by, but you do have to walk a bit to get to the ramp. I used my trolley to wheel my kayak to and from the ramp. If no parking is available there you can drop off your "boat" and park at the quarry down the gravel road and across the street. I made it a combo and hiked a mile then kayaked 4 miles on the river. It was very nice.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Ijam's is a beautiful nature preserve right in town. They've done a great job making it a welcoming destination for anyone wanting to spend some time outside. I love the boardwalk trail and the maze of trails across the road by the quarry.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Thursday, March 02, 2017

One of my favorites in east tn!

Monday, February 13, 2017

Nice river walk. Good for kids because it's fairly flat, easy, and short.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The quarry is beautiful- we loved looking for freshwater jellyfish in the blue water!

Monday, December 26, 2016

Not amazing, but I'm glad it's so close.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Loved the hike along the TN river and the quarry this past Saturday. Couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day to hike the trails. I'll be back!

Thursday, November 24, 2016

a well kept, easy place to walk with the kids.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Lots of trail options. Pretty area. Nice trails and well marked. I will return here for leisurely hikes.

Monday, October 17, 2016

A trail for all! Some areas can be off road stroller friendly. I took the Marble Quarry Trail that loops on the outskirts of the nature area. Was lucky enough to see the backside of a deer as she ran away, lol. It was a very quiet hike since I went early in the morning. Had a snack with my 2 year old at a bench about at the half way point. Will come back again since it is very secluded and only 25 minutes from my house!

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Great walking trails! Especially like South Loop!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Very well kept trails, like how it goes on the boardwalks at the river.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Very cool educational outdoor location, especially for children or those who wouldn't have the time or energy to do an all-day trail hike. I was simply looking for something a little less manicured, now I know. Would highly recommend taking your kids, but look elsewhere if you're looking for any sort of wildness.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Love this trail all year long!!

Monday, April 18, 2016

Too easy, the trail by meads quarry I'd beautiful though

Saturday, April 16, 2016

A five out of five!

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Great! Quite easy with 3 kids. Done it twice and we love it. A favorite - esp the boardwalk overlooking the river.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

It used be really great before they started putting in the zipline. That made me sad.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

This place is relatively close to town and easily accessible. It is a hidden oasis of sorts. I took a hammock and enjoyed the scenery for a few hours. The riverwalk is beautiful and an easy hike/walk from the parking area. I'd definitely do it again!

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Easy trail lots of shade. We enjoyed viewing an owl.

Monday, August 31, 2015

Nice to have a park and hiking so close to town. It's great that this land doesn't sit idle and closed off to the public like many quarries do. It doesn't have a natural feel to me, granted the trees are still young and the forest is still in the early successional stage. Invasive species dot the landscape and tons of evidence of the quarry still remain, obviously, but not a lot of litter! The trails are mostly gravel and you make a lot of noise hiking so don't expect to see wildlife before it hears you at scatters. I found Tharp Trace and Hayworth Hollow to be the most interesting trails. Tharp has a few large trees and overlooks the quarry from the top and Hayworth brings an eerie feeling as you hike down to a secluded area of the quarry, looking up and down at massive rock cut outs being taken over by new growth.