Point to Point

historic site

Backpacked this trail in 3 days, 2 nights with my friend and my dog. Hughes gap to Roan High Knob is a hell of a climb. Camped on Roan High Knob for night 1. No water sources until Carver's gap where there is a spring just off the trail near the parking lot. Went from Roan High Knob to the Overmountain shelter where we camped for night 2. Plenty of good flowing springs from Carver's gap to the Overmountain shelter. Overmountain shelter is an incredible experience and I would highly recommend staying there. You will likely be in the company of other hikers so if you want a solitary experience then I would not stay at or near the overmountain shelter. There are also good flowing springs at the overmountain shelter. Little hump and big hump mountain are pretty tough climbs but they offer great views, especially big hump mountain. After Big hump mountain, the rest of the hike to Doll flats and then to 19e is straight downhill. I would recommend Bob's Dairyland in Roan Mountain, TN for a post trail meal. I will 100% be hiking this part of the AT again at some point.