Appalachian Trail: Hughes Gap to US 19E

Appalachian Trail: Hughes Gap to US 19E is a 17.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Roan Mountain, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

historic site

Trek from Hughes gap to US19E in roan mountain on the Appalachian Trail. Crossing Roan High Knob , Little Hump and Big Hump Mountain

My husband and I completed this as our first back packing trip. We took our time and did it in 3 days and 2 nights. I would 100% recommend this hike to anyone looking for a weekender trip. The views are hard to beat.

First off, this trail is closer to 21 miles, the actual trail varies from this map.

We parked our cars at Mountain Harbour B&B on Friday at 12:15. Then we took their shuttle to the trailhead and started hiking at 1:15 PM from Hughes gap. There was about 1 foot of snow on the ground when we began.

We hiked at about 35 minutes per mile. We only ended up hiking about 2 miles, because of the storm we saw moving in on the horizon. The wind began to pick up so we decided to make camp at the first available location. The best spot we could find ended up being in the middle of the trail.

We begin packing about 7:30 AM the next morning, and started our hike about 9 AM. We hiked about 2.5 miles before having lunch behind the restroom at Carvers gap. The conditions were extremely slushy with snow sometimes 2’ deep. We had a tough time keeping moisture out of our boots. This problem would persist up until the final miles of the trip.

After lunch we hiked about 5 miles to the low gap trail shelter where we made camp for the night. The rain moved in once again and persisted all night.

We awoke about 8:15am with the rain having finally stopped and began packing quickly. We hit the trail about 9:30am for the most difficult leg of the trip. We traveled up and over hump mountain which was the most daunting part of the trip, from there it was about 5.5 miles, mostly downhill to the B&b. The worst part physically was the impact on my knees coming down from Hump mountain. It reminded me of the 14er’s I’ve done in Colorado with steep grades and big steps down for miles. We descended 3,000’ over 5.5 miles from the peak to the B&B. We arrived at the Mountain Harbour Inn about 3:30p and went straight to Carolina Bar-B-Q which did not disappoint!

We loved staying at Mountain Harbour and highly recommend staying there between your hikes. David and Shannon were great hosts.

This is a challenging hike, but thoroughly enjoyable. Did this during middle of October and caught absolutely breathtaking foliage colors and views. Started Friday afternoon via the local mountain inn bed and breakfast (they will shuttle you up the road and let you park your car in their lot for $40 or so) around 3 pm. Camped the first night near the old location of the hotel from 1800s. Nothing much than a sign marking the history of the hotel and a pleasant smelling Christmas tree forest. Second night we stayed near red barn shelter just off trail (there is good water source here as well). Started packing up early Sunday morning (around 7am) and we were back at the car by noon Sunday at the bed and breakfast. Sunday morning’s climb was probably the toughest of the entire journey. A solid 1.5 hours (if you’re very diligent and minimal stopping) of steep incline and the weather on this particular morning was not our friend (high winds and freezing, a bit of ice blowing around). Recommend you be in good psychical condition to undertake this one. Very rewarding couple of days out on this portion of the AT. The end of this trail puts you back out at the road near the bed and breakfast.

Backpacked this trail in 3 days, 2 nights with my friend and my dog. Hughes gap to Roan High Knob is a hell of a climb. Camped on Roan High Knob for night 1. No water sources until Carver's gap where there is a spring just off the trail near the parking lot. Went from Roan High Knob to the Overmountain shelter where we camped for night 2. Plenty of good flowing springs from Carver's gap to the Overmountain shelter. Overmountain shelter is an incredible experience and I would highly recommend staying there. You will likely be in the company of other hikers so if you want a solitary experience then I would not stay at or near the overmountain shelter. There are also good flowing springs at the overmountain shelter. Little hump and big hump mountain are pretty tough climbs but they offer great views, especially big hump mountain. After Big hump mountain, the rest of the hike to Doll flats and then to 19e is straight downhill. I would recommend Bob's Dairyland in Roan Mountain, TN for a post trail meal. I will 100% be hiking this part of the AT again at some point.

Incredible

just completed this but started further out at iron mountain gap. loved the trail. Plenty of water and some rain with high winds which was awesome. The last few miles going down was really rocky so keep that in mind if you have bad knees or feet. I would use boots instead of trail runners. Short walk down the road to Mountain Harbour B&B at end so turn left once you get on 19E.

hiked this in may 2018 and loved the hike. lots of elevation change and beautiful views from the balds. plenty of good water sources and places to camp. stayed at mountain harbor hostel first night and caught shuttle to Hughes gap. then hiked back there in 2 days and stayed another night. then they dropped us up the trail to slackpack back. the three days of hiking were very diverse in scenery and terrain. would recommend for anyone. also I did calculate Hughes to the hostel was about 21 miles.

Just finished this as a 3 day with my daughter and a friend. we parked at mt. harbour inn and shuttled to Hughes gap to start in the afternoon and get a few miles in for camp.

Water was abundant and we hiked fast but only progressed at about 1.5mph because the was so much to see that we had to stop and enjoy; that's why we're here.

Highly recommended section!

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

My wife and I, our three teenagers, and our dog found this hike to be a great mix of elevation gains, forested ridges, and grassy balds. There were plenty of water sources along the way, as well as many different options for setting up camp each night. The views from the balds are amazing. Highly recommended.

Monday, September 18, 2017

This section is a nice walk in the woods and relaxing stroll through the Roan Highlands. The views are amazing going over the balds and Hump Mountain. Doll Flats was a nice surprising gem.

Monday, July 17, 2017

A beautiful route but slightly longer than the 18 mile listed distance. We deviated and walked up the Grassy Ridge Bald, which added to our mileage, but not significantly. Water sources are flowing well as of July 15, 2017.