House Mountain

House Mountain is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Corryton, Tennessee that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are many trails and variations to the area but this hike will be described as a loop hike in counter clock motion. Take the main trail from the parking lot and then turn right on the blue blaze trails. There are many rock formations to see and winter views from this trail. After 1 mile you reach the red blaze trail it is 1.5 mile in length but will add a little more to your hike if you go all the way out to the rock outcrop for the best views from the top. Go back (west) on the trail for 1.5 miles until you reach the west overlook. Nice views but the scenery is littered with cell towers and buildings from the view of Knoxville accented with interstate noise. The connector to the white blaze trail is covered by blow downs at the time of this review so a little off trail is required to get to the white blaze trail. This trail is 0.8 mi and will quickly descend to the main parking lot to finish the loop.

Some parts are steep . Amazing views . Good work out

I would say it’s moderately rated other than hard. Good for trail running. First time hiking in Knoxville TN. Good views, still have to check other trails around this area. But compared to SC it’s way better!!!

Truly awesome hard hiking trail with places you have to literally climb over rocks! Highly recommended for those looking for a good work out in the outdoors.

First hike ever and it was amazing! Loved it

I feel that "hard" is an exaggerated rating for this trail. I did have some blow downs to bypass and there are some steep sections with loose rock, but I would rate it more early moderate. I went up the Blue trail (around 7pm, after work) and went to the Eastern Overlook to catch sunset. GPS recorded 3.3 miles and just under 1000 ft in elevation gain. The views were very good for being so close to Knoxville and well worth the trip. I will definitely go again. I hike every weekend possible in the GSMNP so I am use to the climbing and descents, but don't let the rating keep you from going.

Not a trail for the uninitiated, but offers great views, nice rock formations, and a good workout. Some parts are pretty steep with big chunk rock, boulders, and looser gravel, so one must pay attention to avoid a potentially nasty fall. But House Mountain is a nice challenge and a fun trail to hike. I definitely added it to my “go to” trail list!

Fun hike! East overlook had the best views.

Great workout with nice views without having to drive to the Smokies. Have done this trail many times over the years and was very disappointed to see that the Mountain Trail needs some maintenance between .5 miles and .75 miles. Nothing that should keep you from doing the hike, but there were a few trees down.

Good workout. Views were ok.

Good markings! A little rocky! This trail will definitely give you a work out !! I would say it’s on the tougher side of moderate but do able!
It’s pretty well trafficked, and people actually run this trail, which has to be hard!!

This is a great trail, it’s primitive and on the blue trail lots of rocks going up steep in some places, but worth the climb when you get to the ridge.

We started hiking the West overlook trail, this trail was very busy and we passed so many OFF leash dogs were owners could not be seen. I love dogs and hike with my dog but I dont like them to be off leash with no owner in sight, you need to have control over your dog. After 2 incidents of this happening we turned around.....people need to follow rules!!

Great amount of time for a Sunday hike! There were some turns that I wouldnt have known which direction to go if I hadnt been with someone who has hiked there a lot.

This place is awesome! Especially for being so close to town!

I loved the east overlook best. If you see the West overlook first, please continue to the East. Far better view :)

God bless.
-Andy

Both overlooks are nice but the East overlook is the best in my opinion. We hammocked between two trees overlooking the mountains and it was gorgeous. Definitely a little challenging because of the elevation gain.

This trial weaves in and out, up one side of the mountain and down the other. The trails are well maintained. The view at the top is spectacular! We hike this mountain often and at times it can be very crowded, so keep that in mind if bringing your dog(s). :)

Good workout. Trails need some work for dead snags.

Perfect, good workout, great views and easy to get to.

For a short morning hike, this is perfect! The loop is only a few miles up & back. I went towards the East lookout first and then the West- counter clockwise on the loop. I would recommend this way because it was very rocky going up, but coming down the trail was much more smooth. If you have to pick just one overlook, the East was breathtaking!

it was ok. nothing special. lots of rock climbing. Don't go when they're calling for any rain because it's like a river coming off that mountain.

Definitely a workout. We went in peak leaf season and oh wow, the beauty... will be going back to see what each season has to offer here.

I think it's more on the moderate side especially if you do the loop counter-clockwise. Beautiful view at the top! I ran out of daylight so didn't get to visit the eastern overlook. Definitely planning in going back for that!

A great hike if you don’t want to drive to the mountains. It’s close by and it’s intense enough that you feel like you got a good workout.

Fantastic workout for trail running! I prefer the blue trail for a slightly less steep ascent, across the mountain top to the white trail for a beautiful rocky slope descent. Beautiful views of the countryside unrivaled in the area.

Great views!

Awesome trail! This would be a difficult hike for the non experienced. The trail is mostly uphill, hence, climbing the mountain, very rocky but beautiful views! Loved it I give it a 5!

Loved it. Great up hill and down hill. Plus great view at the top. I will prolly do it again. Even my dog loved it.

I would not rate this as "Hard", however with regional bias, I can see how some might think so. The extremes of incline are greater than one normally finds on a moderate trail, but footing is never in question, the path is pretty easy to follow, many places to rest are available throughout, and weather wouldn't be too much of a hinderance. On a weekend, one will run into many dogs and outgoing people. Very nice views, which should actually be better. Not much effort has been put into creating viewing areas.

The hike was pretty fun to do with a group of my college roommates. The hike was not all that hard, but I can see how a non experienced hiker would get winded on some of the steep parts. The view was very pretty. If you want to do a short hike for a great view this is a hike for you.

09/17/2017
Amazing views of the valley at an elevation of over 2000 ft above sea level (1000 ft over the valley below). The hike is very steep at parts and could be a challenge for some. It also is a loop trail if you go the right way around the overlook. Lots of birds too. We saw several black vultures, a woodpecker of some kind, and even a turkey vulture!