House Mountain

House Mountain is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Corryton, Tennessee that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are many trails and variations to the area but this hike will be described as a loop hike in counter clock motion. Take the main trail from the parking lot and then turn right on the blue blaze trails. There are many rock formations to see and winter views from this trail. After 1 mile you reach the red blaze trail it is 1.5 mile in length but will add a little more to your hike if you go all the way out to the rock outcrop for the best views from the top. Go back (west) on the trail for 1.5 miles until you reach the west overlook. Nice views but the scenery is littered with cell towers and buildings from the view of Knoxville accented with interstate noise. The connector to the white blaze trail is covered by blow downs at the time of this review so a little off trail is required to get to the white blaze trail. This trail is 0.8 mi and will quickly descend to the main parking lot to finish the loop.

1 hour ago

Loved it!!!! I was disappointed with the pieces of glass randomly down the trail possibly some Partiers who didn't take nature serious. Come on people let's clean up after ourselves. I do plan to go back and to pick up those pieces of glass on my next go at it.

Great hike! Awesome views in some places. Was tricky in some spots with all the rocks, but well worth it.

geocaching

Great hike!! Great views at both ends of the mountain. All the geocaches we're in great shape.

Had a really good trip! There was a yellow jacket problem at the West overlook. Multiple hikers warned me on my way up not to go the west as they got stung and found out the hard way! I went to the East.

For starters, the overlook we nearly killed ourselves getting to was so overgrown you couldn't see anything at all. Not to mention, we crossed paths with a yellow jacket nest and were stung multiple times.

The view is absolutely beautiful! For an avid hiker or someone with consistent exercise routines I would consider this a moderate trail. However, for the beginner hiker or people with irregular exercise habits I would consider this trail to be hard. My fitness tracker showed that I climbed an equivalent to 92 flights of stairs and walked over 11500 steps. For the beginners or those that do not exercise regularly do not be discouraged, there are plenty of rocks along the way to stop and take a break. The view is worth the trip!

Just fair warning to all hikers that take the overlook trail. There is an underground yellow jacket nest right on the trail. My family and I were stung multiple times as we were quickly swarmed by 40-50 yellow jackets. Luckily none of us are allergic.

A tougher hike than some, but the views are worth it once you get to the top of the ridge and can see both sides.

I really enjoyed hiking this mountain. It is in my backyard, so it's always been something I've always wanted to do. House Mountain I shall return.

#HouseMountain