House Mountain is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Corryton, Tennessee that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are many trails and variations to the area but this hike will be described as a loop hike in counter clock motion. Take the main trail from the parking lot and then turn right on the blue blaze trails. There are many rock formations to see and winter views from this trail. After 1 mile you reach the red blaze trail it is 1.5 mile in length but will add a little more to your hike if you go all the way out to the rock outcrop for the best views from the top. Go back (west) on the trail for 1.5 miles until you reach the west overlook. Nice views but the scenery is littered with cell towers and buildings from the view of Knoxville accented with interstate noise. The connector to the white blaze trail is covered by blow downs at the time of this review so a little off trail is required to get to the white blaze trail. This trail is 0.8 mi and will quickly descend to the main parking lot to finish the loop.

east overlook has best views. lots of rock formations. parking can be challenging.

Sunday 11/18/18

This took me almost 3 hours total and I was carrying a baby. The blue trail up was no joke. East overlook is beautiful!!! West overlook is meh. The red trail/ridge walk is a nice relief after climbing the blue trail. The white trail is a lot of fun with all the rocks- I bet younger kids really enjoy this part! Most of the people we saw were on the white trail, but it is definitely busier here than I would’ve imagined it to be (they even have an overflow parking area).

I pulled 5 ticks off my dog total (4 at once at the end of the blue trail climb)- I didn’t use her spray because I thought it was cold enough- just be careful. The ones she had were red + black and all black.

I went with some friends that was fairly new at hiking. We got there about 10:30 in the morning and went on all the trials, some were very strenuous with climbing over boulder and rocks. My first time there and would do this again, the views were beautiful with the fall foliage in the area.

Be prepared for a bit of a climb but overall a really nice trail and the views at the top make it well worth it!

A nice trail, though steep and rocky. It’s definitely a good workout, with great views from the top.

Easy morning hike. Took a little over 2 hours, including a couple stops to admire the views.

Absolutely beautiful. Harder than you might think. But if you make it to the end it is well worth it.

Great hike! Strenuous, but not long. No rock scrambles or anything either. Couple of spots with loose gravel, but watch your step and you'll be fine. Views from the East Overlook are fantastic! The West Overlook is okay too, but you'll have to climb up a couple rocks to get the best view through the pines.

fairly difficult trail but worth doing at least once a year.

Great trail. A few downed trees but easily managed to walk around them. great view at the top. worth it.

Awesome trail! Some spots are very narrow and some very rocky. Great for anyone who is active and enjoys unplugging and enjoying a challenge. Loved it!!!

The east part of the hike was a GREAT hike. I definitely recommend taking the blue trail to the red trail to the East Overlook. I would say this is a moderate hike with some fairly steep portions to it. The views are gorgeous (and it’s a great stop for a little picnic!) We were disappointed by the West Overlook; any chance of having a view is blocked by an abundance of trees. The west side of the hike (the white trail) is also a little more rugged, it is a very narrow path with lots of sand and rough gravel. Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves!

Love this hike! Great view! It is super quick for those days when you're chasing the sun and want to get some exercise in. I would consider this one easy/moderate.

a nice challenge with a beautiful view

fun difficult hike. views were okay

Some parts are steep . Amazing views . Good work out

I would say it’s moderately rated other than hard. Good for trail running. First time hiking in Knoxville TN. Good views, still have to check other trails around this area. But compared to SC it’s way better!!!

Truly awesome hard hiking trail with places you have to literally climb over rocks! Highly recommended for those looking for a good work out in the outdoors.

First hike ever and it was amazing! Loved it

I feel that "hard" is an exaggerated rating for this trail. I did have some blow downs to bypass and there are some steep sections with loose rock, but I would rate it more early moderate. I went up the Blue trail (around 7pm, after work) and went to the Eastern Overlook to catch sunset. GPS recorded 3.3 miles and just under 1000 ft in elevation gain. The views were very good for being so close to Knoxville and well worth the trip. I will definitely go again. I hike every weekend possible in the GSMNP so I am use to the climbing and descents, but don't let the rating keep you from going.

Not a trail for the uninitiated, but offers great views, nice rock formations, and a good workout. Some parts are pretty steep with big chunk rock, boulders, and looser gravel, so one must pay attention to avoid a potentially nasty fall. But House Mountain is a nice challenge and a fun trail to hike. I definitely added it to my “go to” trail list!

Fun hike! East overlook had the best views.

Great workout with nice views without having to drive to the Smokies. Have done this trail many times over the years and was very disappointed to see that the Mountain Trail needs some maintenance between .5 miles and .75 miles. Nothing that should keep you from doing the hike, but there were a few trees down.

Good workout. Views were ok.

Good markings! A little rocky! This trail will definitely give you a work out !! I would say it’s on the tougher side of moderate but do able!
It’s pretty well trafficked, and people actually run this trail, which has to be hard!!

This is a great trail, it’s primitive and on the blue trail lots of rocks going up steep in some places, but worth the climb when you get to the ridge.

We started hiking the West overlook trail, this trail was very busy and we passed so many OFF leash dogs were owners could not be seen. I love dogs and hike with my dog but I dont like them to be off leash with no owner in sight, you need to have control over your dog. After 2 incidents of this happening we turned around.....people need to follow rules!!

Great amount of time for a Sunday hike! There were some turns that I wouldnt have known which direction to go if I hadnt been with someone who has hiked there a lot.

This place is awesome! Especially for being so close to town!

I loved the east overlook best. If you see the West overlook first, please continue to the East. Far better view :)

God bless.
-Andy

Both overlooks are nice but the East overlook is the best in my opinion. We hammocked between two trees overlooking the mountains and it was gorgeous. Definitely a little challenging because of the elevation gain.