House Mountain is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Corryton, Tennessee that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,017 feet Route Type: Loop

There are many trails and variations to the area but this hike will be described as a loop hike in counter clock motion. Take the main trail from the parking lot and then turn right on the blue blaze trails. There are many rock formations to see and winter views from this trail. After 1 mile you reach the red blaze trail it is 1.5 mile in length but will add a little more to your hike if you go all the way out to the rock outcrop for the best views from the top. Go back (west) on the trail for 1.5 miles until you reach the west overlook. Nice views but the scenery is littered with cell towers and buildings from the view of Knoxville accented with interstate noise. The connector to the white blaze trail is covered by blow downs at the time of this review so a little off trail is required to get to the white blaze trail. This trail is 0.8 mi and will quickly descend to the main parking lot to finish the loop.

My partner and I are avid hikers and we frequently visit many of TN and NC parks and forests. We had never done House Mountain before and we didn’t want to travel too far to get a nice hike in, so we decided to give it a try. This trail has tons of potential but we found it incredibly overgrown, muddy, and bugs were rampant since it was so swampy in areas. There were multiple trees blocking several points in the trail. After the third tree down (which was covered in shrubbery) within the first mile up we decided to head back. I’m taking off two stars since the trail was so overgrown and because there were so many trees blocking the trail. TLDR: Trail has potential but it’s not well maintained for what it’s worth.

GREAT HIKE! Needs a lot of maintenance. Much of the trails slough off to the downward edge .There is a area on the Mountain trail that has so much bush waking done it is hard to navigate when its dry, it must be almost impossible when wet. All in all it is a great hike! Plenty of water on the mountain trail in May. Great views to the west .

Let me be clear here: the end is great. Getting up there and seeing the view is beautiful. HOWEVERi, this is NOT an easy trail. It is rocky and there are parts that you will have to climb up/slide down but that’s not the issue. The trail is steep. Spell that out and read it backwards if you’re new to hiking. With that said, the experience was great and there quite a number of people there. The view was a little covered because it’s so leafy this time of year (not many colors also) but overall nice.

Great hike! Very steep on the first half so be prepared for that. The first overlook had the best view. Took about 4 hours with a break for lunch. Highly recommend!

I did this with my wife our twin 5 year old boys, 8 year old daughter and 15 year old dog. The was a difficult trail but was still doable if we did not bring dog of only had two kids. Going down was alot harder than going up. There was a little mud but not alot and crossing the small streams great for dog to drink out of.

Very nice trail! Amazing views from the lookouts. Pretty rocky and tricky at some points but not too rigorous overall. A very good workout!

Had some difficult sections with washed out trails and downed trees but it’s doable. Nice views on the way up.

Open as of today. 13 y/o daughter and I did this again today. Pretty steep at parts, but overall a nice hike. Would not suggest for beginners.

*PARK IS OPEN* Showing as closed now but went today. This was one of my first hikes and I really enjoyed it. It was challenging at times but once finished I was very happy with my experience. Being rather out of shape it was difficult at times but for someone who is more active it’s probably not a huge challenge. It wasn’t too crowded and our pup loved it.

If you want a good workout with a beautiful view at the end, this one is for you! I easily found the East Overlook but never found the West overlook! There were lots of signs but I never found it! I would recommend this hike.

We took our dogs on this trail, and some places were really rocky and some places were 70-80 degree inclines. People have made so many shortcuts on this trail that it’s hard to see where to go and has caused erosion. Luckily, the park has marked the correct path. We were sore the next day, and the views were awesome!

CLOSED

I've always loved this trail. A little difficult but our family of 6 handled it pretty well with a kids age range of 8 to 7 months.

Awesome trail with some great views! The trail can be a bit technical at times, with some rocks, fallen trees, and mud throughout.

House mountain...good workout