Honey Cove Trail Loop to Spruce Flats Falls

Honey Cove Trail Loop to Spruce Flats Falls is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

This waterfall is one of the parks best kept secrets.

The trail depicted on the map is incorrect, this is not a loop and Lumber Ridge does not go to Spruce falls (which is technically not a trail, but is still easy and okay to navigate to the falls -- heavily trafficked).

Lumber Ridge ends at Meigs (which is a fork) and is where you need to turn around and go back.

When you park in the parking lot, the trail heads' start up near the sign and gravel road,to the right when you are pulling in the parking lot / coming over the bridge.

Lumber ridge has a few party nice views itself but if you are coming for the falls (as I did) take the trail at the trail head that indicates the falls are to the right -- which is only a mile, maybe that.

Have fun!

I really enjoyed this hike .. lots to see . This had a really great incline, great views and lots of water falls .

Trail is a bit rough incline going in to a high point then down hill to the falls. Narrow path footing isn't too bad. I would certainly suggest a walking stick. I didn't have one so picked up a branch to use. I went a bit slower than some people but I am a plus size woman and still accomplished the trail just fine. The water fall at the end is amazing!!! I could have stayed there for hours. The trails was not very crowded (on a week day). We had the falls to ourselves for a good 45 mins or so. It was a much easier hike on the way back out.

To be a small hike it was amazing. When you get to the end there was a beautiful waterfall. Very nice hike.

Hiked from the Great Smoky Mountain Institute to Spuce Flats Falls and back. My 4 year old and I loved it!

Great trail and awesome reward when you reach the falls!!

The falls are absolutely beautiful! Would definitely do this one again.

GPS did not pick up. Trail was well defined and there were a ton of people. Would have been nicer if left early to beat the crowd. Bice hike and 2 miles out to Falls and back.

My wife and I hiked to the falls. Great trail and the waterfall is beautiful

Great hike. We only went to the waterfall and not the Honey Cove trail. With little ones, the terrain is challenging but doable. I needed a hand on a few higher step downs, with the baby pack on. The 2.5 yo hiked by herself up to the falls but rode in the backpack down. t was a good 2.5 hour adventure.

Gorgeous falls and worth the strenuous hike. Although I said strenuous, I would only say it is moderate difficulty, but then again it is all relative. I could spend all day at the falls as it was that beautiful. Mostly uphill heading to the falls until towards the end when it was a little steep downhill. But overall, a nice hike.

Thank you to Casey Kimble for the trail directions. The only place they let you park at Tremont is by the visitor center/office and on a Sunday morning we were pleased to find it open - otherwise there is no bathroom. Walk across the lot from the office building and go up a gravel road and you will see signs for the trails and falls. I will post some photos. There is a little sign that says "falls" posted in a few places so it's easy to follow. For people like us that don't hike often, this is very strenuous. Rocks are in the trail the whole time and it gets worse in certain areas. There are steep uphill and downhill areas. This is NOT a good hike for little children. There is a dangerous dropoff immediately next to the trail nearly the whole way up, and the trail is not always flat. Sometimes it angles in the direction of the dropoff which is a bit freaky. When you first start climbing you hear falls but as you get higher the sound disappears and as you go higher eventually you hear Spruce Flats falls. It took us 40 minutes to hike to the falls (I took a lot of pictures) and 20 minutes to walk back.